Besides paddling...

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

Should be easy ... A remote controlled jet-ski - with controls in handle of ski-rope.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Sounds expensive Phil... maybe we can get one of those wealthy kayak companies to fund the project with all of the money they make from selling kayak hulls to C1 "converters".

:lol:

Oh... what happens when you fall though? :-?
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
french erick
C Guru

Post by french erick »

sports that you are strongly recommended not to do alone but you do on occasions (well I do):
rockclimbing, winterclimbing, off-piste riding (tele,ski or boarding) and paddling. Or of course the occasional multi-day hike.

I love to go it alone, I fully recognise the risks and I'm ok with them. All the time I will operate several notches below my best (paddling is perhaps the exception since my best is unknown...but I still play it safe). I try however to limit the amount of just because of statistics...the more you do it the more likely you run the risk to become one :-?

On a less serious note: Rally driving? must be hard to read those notes at that speed :roll: and anyways, I can't read in a car, I get sick...
Erick Baillot
Louie

Post by Louie »

Nuthin wrong with paddlin alone, be it on the Tellico in winter when you never see another person, or on the Ocoee when you couldn't get out of sight of someone if you tried. It is a personal decision and really none of anyone else business. Now before we start hearin the "oh you put other people at risk who try to rescue you" not unless you ask them to rescue you.

People who say you "shouldn't" do sumthin needs to say they shouldn't do sumethin. They don't know other people abilities or desires, mind your own business and take care of yourself. If i saw some tubers puttin on the Ocoee I would ask them if they have looked at the river and suggest they do if they haven't. However I would never tell them not to do sumthin. People who think they know what is best for everone are the people who make pot illegal, made whiskey illegal and don't want queer to have sex with each other. Take care of yourself and mind your own business.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Louie wrote:...Now before we start hearin the "oh you put other people at risk who try to rescue you" not unless you ask them to rescue you.
I don't disagree (unless we're talking about kids, of course), but in this day and age it's not a matter of *asking* to be rescured - you just about can't make them *stop* trying to rescue you - witness Davey Hearn on the Potomac. We have similar local examples of police screaming at paddlers to get out of high water surfs or they were going to get "rescued" whether they wanted it or not. [Kinda makes me think of the modern Chinese backhanded use of certain verbs, i.e. "He got harmonized"...]
Louie

Post by Louie »

Never hike alone, engine fall off of planes all the time. You could be in the wood and a 747 could lose one of those Pratt & Whittney engines, and it could land on you and if no one was with you. We would never know what happened...........well untill they came and got the engine
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

:lol:

If an airplane engine lands in the forest and it hits a hiker... does it make a sound?
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
jscottl67
CBoats Addict

Post by jscottl67 »

I've paddled alone a bit and enjoy it, but I also enjoy company on the river sometimes. Most of the solo trips are either flat water or rivers that I know pretty well.

Nothing like paddling early in the morning with mists on the water and the only sound the water dripping off your paddle between strokes.
jscottl67
CBoats Addict

Post by jscottl67 »

Craig Smerda wrote::lol:

If an airplane engine lands in the forest and it hits a hiker... does it make a sound?
Yep. Drop an anvil from 10 feet onto 1/2 a pound of raw hamburger, 3 eggs, and 6 pecans. Amplify and you're there.
golder
CBoats Addict

Post by golder »

jscottl67 wrote:
Craig Smerda wrote::lol:

Yep. Drop an anvil from 10 feet onto 1/2 a pound of raw hamburger, 3 eggs, and 6 pecans. Amplify and you're there.
coincidentally, thats how i made my breakfast this morning.
old
Pain Boater

Post by old »

I was using a chainsaw and cut through my jeans and did not leave a scratch. I don't cut fire wood alone anymore. Come to think of it, I don't cut firewood anymore.
Hey Tim, What rapid is this?
Rand C1
C Guru

Post by Rand C1 »

Sometimes its go alone or miss the water event on small stuff, and I like to bike shuttle. Worth the additional risk anyway.
Rand
craig
CBoats Addict

Post by craig »

One of my most memorable paddles was a 15 mile cl3 trip alone over 2 days. Although I did know the river, it puts a different spin on things being alone. The memory of putting on in the early morning mist with a mile long cl3 rapid just down stream, in a boat laden with camping gear is one I won't forget. The peacefulness, the anticipation,the adventure, the challenge, the solitude, the wilderness.... only a little thought of the what if and that faded quickly
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

Sounds almost like Ponderosa Canyon on the Dolores, where there is said to be a mile long stretch of class 3. Never did it, but I soloed 37 miles of Dolores' Slickrock Canyon. Mostly class 1-2, just one low class 3. Excellent adventure.
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

solo surfing sport like wind surfing, kiteboarding, etc.
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;