tools for applying vynabond

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

ELGOTTO
C Guru

tools for applying vynabond

Post by ELGOTTO »

What do you use to apply vynabond? I haven't found anything that works very well for me. I like to make my outfitting neat so I always trace the outline of my vinyl patch then carefully apply the vynabond so it doesn't get outside of my traced line. I usually end up just using the tube for the middle and something like a thin narrow piece of wood to get it right up to the traced line but that sure takes a lot of time. I haven't found a brush that works either because the stuff sets up so fast. Please tell me what works for you.
Thanks
padlcnu
c

Post by padlcnu »

You can buy 1" china brushes at Home depot for a few bucks. 8)
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

I buy vinylbond in a can that comes with an internal brush attached to the lid.
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

Look for or improvise a toothed spreader. A straight edge with saw teeth that allow some of the Vynabond to slip through in an even layer.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Popsicle sticks always worked for me.
dwd58
Pain Boater

Post by dwd58 »

Milkman, where do you buy it in a can?
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

I recycle little scraps pieces of mini-cell, that have been saved from the trash when outfitting. And if sanded smooth they also work really well for applying streak-free epoxy resin... generally much smoother than by cheap brush.
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Cut up milk jugs into the size and shape you need! Others noted work well too!
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
Acosi151
Pain Boater

Vynabond

Post by Acosi151 »

....where do you buy it in a can?
I've had pretty good luck with HH-66 Vinyl Cement which I can get from a local truck tarp manufacturer as part of a tarp patch kit. It comes in a can with a brush. It's worked really well for everything except my thigh strap which I finally got to stay fast with Permatex PlastiWeld epoxy (I've got a sneaky suspicion that this is the exact same stuff as those "royalex resin" syringes you can buy.

For the HH-66 I use the included brush, for the Permatex epoxy I use a cut down disposable plastic knife.
craig
CBoats Addict

Post by craig »

I use a small piece of minicell foam taped onto a popsicle stick to make a combination brush/ squeegee. I use the same method for Weldwood Red
sdbrassfield
Supporting Paddler

Post by sdbrassfield »

MEK prep on boat and patches, one coat, then another letting dry between coats. Two very thin coats of vynabond on boat and patches, let it tack to dry between and after coats, take hair dryer and heat up patch and boat, stick to boat.

I use cheapo 1$ plastic paint brush from the hardware store. Have actually cut the vynabond w/ a little mek before to thin out to get a nice thin layer with older thicker adhesive. Key is to let vynabond dry real tacky to dry and heat before applying since you do not want alot of the solvent left from the mek or vynabond. Make sure it is not wet with this stuff or you will have hull problems.

When you are done, soak the brush in mek and it ill be ready for another day. MEK will clean your weldwood brushes too...
SYOTR
Sorcrow
c

Foam brushes minus the foam

Post by Sorcrow »

It sounds crazy, I know, but buy some foam brushes and tear off the foam. You're left with a little plastic spatula that's great for spreading whatever.
Crow
ELGOTTO
C Guru

Post by ELGOTTO »

All good advise. It is neat to see how clever and creative everyone can be. I knew I could get some help. Thanks.
jnorto01
C Guru

Post by jnorto01 »

Keep it simple. Use your finger.

Yea, yea, I know it's bad for you. But you are probably only doing a couple of installs a year at best, so I wouldn't worry about it.
ohioboater
CBoats Addict

tinfoil

Post by ohioboater »

Wrap a piece of tinfoil around your finger. That's what I used to do when I worked with vinabond. Works great, and keeps the nasty solvents off your skin.