CBoats.net site stability

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

CBoats.net site stability

Post by Sir Adam »

As some of you may have noticed we've experienced a few outages lately. We have contacted our host (greengeeks) to find out why. We switched to GreenGeeks from Pair.com over the summer for three reasons:
1) powered by wind energy
2) More flexible pricing structure (we needed more space at Pair but nothing else, and got tired of disk overages)
3) price

We will see how they handle this and take it from there.

So despite what may be popular opinion, the site going down half an hour ago was not caused by the dialogue between two of our long standing members :wink:

Thank you for your understanding and patience.
Keep the C!
Adam
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Thanks for all you do...
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Wind energy? You'd think our site alone could power their data center...
Louie

Post by Louie »

HOT AIR CAN HEAT WATER AND TURN TURBINE, phill can take care of the south, we all know who could do all west of the big river, and if we could get Gabe to move to New York. Just sayin.

I do like the wind power thing however, i think that is cool of the owners to do that
jscottl67
CBoats Addict

Post by jscottl67 »

We should be running on hydro-electric ;)
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

And support the damming over rivers?! Never :lol:

I like the idea of supporting wind power - I think it makes a tremendous amount of sense. We pay the extra few cents a KW/H for wind power here at home too.

I do wish I could choose directly where I purchase power from - we're a few hundred yards upstream from a hydroelectric dam - power (especially "delivery charges") would be MUCH cheaper if I could buy directly from them!

The site seems more stable and we've treed from 'initial' support up through "Level 1, 2, and 3" with different folks and they have assured me it should be better now. We'll keep an eye on it - please post here if you experience the site acting strangely or you can't access it.

Thank you all again!
Keep the C!
Adam
jscottl67
CBoats Addict

Post by jscottl67 »

I hate to see the rivers dammed either, but when there's been a long dry spell, those dam releases are nice ;)

I just hit a very short host unavailable - less than 15 seconds, but it was there. I'm guessing your host is running you in a virtual environment and needs to tweak some settings. If you have a SQL backend to the site, make sure they are dedicating memory to that machine. SQL works outside the OS on memory allocation, so VMWare can stumble with that if not configured correctly ;)
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

jscottl67 wrote:I hate to see the rivers dammed either, but when there's been a long dry spell, those dam releases are nice ;)

I just hit a very short host unavailable - less than 15 seconds, but it was there. I'm guessing your host is running you in a virtual environment and needs to tweak some settings. If you have a SQL backend to the site, make sure they are dedicating memory to that machine. SQL works outside the OS on memory allocation, so VMWare can stumble with that if not configured correctly ;)
the feeling i had reading that must be what non-boaters feel like when they are forced to listen to us talking at the bar, eh?
jscottl67
CBoats Addict

Post by jscottl67 »

Hahaha! C-boats translation - the server is switching sides every couple of strokes, and sometimes a wave hits when the paddle is out of the water and gets window shaded. It's roll is pretty good but not bomb proof, so sometimes they spend a little bit chasing the boat down the river so we can get back in ;)
TonyB
CBoats Addict

Post by TonyB »

jscottl67 wrote:Hahaha! C-boats translation - the server is switching sides every couple of strokes, and sometimes a wave hits when the paddle is out of the water and gets window shaded. It's roll is pretty good but not bomb proof, so sometimes they spend a little bit chasing the boat down the river so we can get back in ;)

Have they tried using an offside J stroke to help compensate???
Proud Yankee