Good bye

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

old
Pain Boater

Post by old »

Redneck is one of nicer things I have been called. But I would prefer that when you do, please note that I am a pure blooded registered redneck, not just your run of the mill mutt redneck. I'm from Sand Mountain; I have reputation and somewhat of a bad image to up hold.
Hey Tim, What rapid is this?
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

markzak wrote:
Shep wrote: we should at least be able to have a civil discussion about this boat and other topics which people have strong opinion on.
The problem was it wasn't civil..... it was kinda silly actually... Those of us looking for guidance and tips really need to be able to trust that the opinions given are honest and not skewed for some reason.
jscottl67
CBoats Addict

Post by jscottl67 »

http://www.cboats.net/cforum/viewtopic.php?t=7963113

I enjoy the banter but respect the mission of the site too (and I love the word filter/substitution feature). I don't think I've ever seen the admins filter an opinion.

Opinions are like a-holes but sometimes you have to separate the two. :D
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

I didn't see the thread in question. But I also agree that the site needs to maintain an inviting, encouraging environment for canoeists from anywhere and with any interest - including those who use whistles, scout, don't stand up in rapids, and don't want to buy a L'Edge. I know lots of lurkers who don't feel comfortable posting. So thanks again admins for taking care of business! Louie didn't do himself any favours by opening this thread with a half-truth and a personal attack. :oops: Enjoy your month Louie. Go boatin'!

Pat.
TonyB
CBoats Addict

Post by TonyB »

I agree with with many statements on either side of this argument.
Entertaining banter is awesome but here there are limits. It would be nice to just put a "parental advisory" label and let it go.

If this is anything like other message boards, the admin is interveining because of the family values crew that want their children to be able to get canoe info without the language of dirty old sailors all the time. Understandable.

Hopefully its not soley because of self rightous lurkers with nothin better to do.

Personally I hope to hear more of those colorful soap box rants soon. Its one more thing that makes me coming back here.
Proud Yankee
markzak
CBoats Addict

Post by markzak »

I have every reason to believe that the admins are acting appropriately and everyone seems to be backing up that point.

It just seemed to be the first thread where someone publicly stated some negative opinions of the L'edge. I missed a bunch of posts that got ugly and personal, then the thread was removed.
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

phil, you might want to be more careful talking about the l'edge. you might find yourself turned into a frog what with its magical powers and all :wink:

i really enjoy louie's humor, it's part of what keeps me coming back

i'm also grateful for this site, it's a terriffic resource. thanks.
Joe
karstmaninaboat
Pain Boater

Post by karstmaninaboat »

old wrote:Redneck is one of nicer things I have been called. But I would prefer that when you do, please note that I am a pure blooded registered redneck, not just your run of the mill mutt redneck. I'm from Sand Mountain; I have reputation and somewhat of a bad image to up hold.
Old, my neck is red and always will be.

BTW, it was a pleasure to meet your son and Tim over at the nanty last Friday.
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

"I know lots of lurkers who don't feel comfortable posting. "

I honestly feel that anyone who lurks, and is not comfortable posting, for whatever reason should continue to just lurk and be a shadow. I can't imagine reasons to not post if you want to be 'involved' and have a serious dedication and desire to canoe. But I can imagine certain types of people; and fully understand that some of these types don't 'feel comfortable' doing anything, let alone walking in their own skin.

Point being... you cannot cater to every one. When we have to ban a longstanding member(it starts with just one month), a member who has been there from the days of grumman's, then something is not right. I'm not saying anyone should be above the law, or above rules....but some people deserve a slap on the hand over and over again... I believe Louie is one of those people -

This forum just got way more boring for the next month. Someone is gonna have to do something about that.
http://www.gnarlzoutdoors.com
Silverbirch Canoes - North American Distributor
Email: tom@gnarlzoutdoors.com
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

now in all seriousness(since all of this is just silly)... Where is the "ledge concerns' thread... No boat is god, with magical abilities. let me seeith the post that darth confirms this.

Cuz you know a post or Thread on Cboats can confirm such a thing.
Last edited by FullGnarlzOC on Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
karstmaninaboat
Pain Boater

Post by karstmaninaboat »

If that thread could be cleaned up and reposted it would be great.

Unless I missed some posts, which I could have, Louie was called a paid liar before he responded in kind.
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

ahahahhaah thats hilirious.
sganarelle
Pain Boater

Post by sganarelle »

Really, you cant be serious that Louie was asked to not post for a month.

Honestly, the forums over at teton gravity research are far worse. If every internet alpha male had the banhammer dropped on them then the internet would become a very boring place.

I still maintain that no one should ever take seriously the internet or anything on it.

CBoaters has now been deprived of "that guy."
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

karstmaninaboat wrote:If that thread could be cleaned up and reposted it would be great.

I want my posts back! :P

Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

The original thread will reappear tonight after the inappropriate bits are removed. All opinions relating to the boats mentioned and boating will remain - we do not censor opinions at all, just personal attacks and language. I promised Louie I would send him his original, unedited text if he let me know his current e-mail address; I have yet to receive that from him and will be sending it to the address we have on file after work.

TGR is far "worse", yes I lurk there. We do not want to become TGR.

As noted, Louie was not the only one we sent PM's to. I did not mention my correspondence with Louie, he chose to, and I have responded simply to clarify things.
Keep the C!
Adam