Y'all need to lighten the _ _ _ _ up!!!

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

I have swam out of my canoe ___ times this year

Poll ended at Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:27 am

one
18%
two
12%
three
18%
four
8%
five
14%
six
4%
seven
27%

Total votes: 51

Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

I did the video just for fun and because I'm actually capable of laughing at myself... and frankly it's a great technique that served me well when I started boating which for me typically involved a good deal of swimming because I was always being aggressive. Trust me... if you know you are going to swim a long way... try this... it also helps keep your head out of the water and saps far less energy... it works great on big volume rivers even better.
Jim Michaud wrote:What? No "zero" choices? How's Dooley or Eli going to be able to answer that poll?
I guess we'll have to wait and see if they want to come to CONFESSION Jim.

:lol:

FWIW... my count is now up to three this year... each time it was something silly and ridiculous... but a swims a swim man.
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

I've had zero swims. Recent runs include the St. Croix in ME, the Charles in MA, the Pawtucket in RI, and Prime Hook National Refuge in DE.
Dooleyoc-1
CBoats Addict

Post by Dooleyoc-1 »

Haha! Good one Jim. I have actually had a year before where I had zero swims for the year.

I'm trying to remember if I've had any swims this year... I remember swimming through a rapid taking a pretty good beating where I balled up and was bouncing off rocks but I can't remember where it was or if it was last year... Wait! I just remembered while I was typing this. I was playing in the wave at NOC about a month or 2 ago in my black fly and after a couple of retentive ends I lost my paddle and swam and I hit a bunch of rocks! It didn't look like a bad swim at all but I got pretty beat up lol

PS- I once read an article where a kayaker talked about the fact that the longer you go between swims the worst the swims usually are lol Also, everyone is between swims.
MrTgrips
CBoats Addict

Post by MrTgrips »

Hahahaaa. I recently swam twice out my Prelude performing off-side peel-outs. Both at Diagonal Ledges on the LG. First I swam from the top surf wave, and then, after resting and eating lunch did the exact same thing when leaving. :oops:
I was able to get the boat upright in the first swim. The second it , um , kinda got way away from me. A raft got it coralled just below the last exposed rock on the left, about a 1/4 mile from where is speed away from me. :roll:
It's all good, I'm okay with being between swims! :wink:
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

I'm pretty sure I had just one, but the year isn't over yet.
I tend to put swims out of my memory. My friends always remember though :roll:
Larry
cadster
CBoats Addict

Leave upside down

Post by cadster »

It isn't always best to right the boat. It depends on the canoe's outfitting.

I know my Probe 14 with a triple saddle rides much higher upside down after flipping and escaping than when right side up without bailing.
TNbound
CBoats Addict

Post by TNbound »

One swim out of my ME and 2 out of my c1.... Of course I didn't boat nearly enough this season. Darned dry summer!
-Anthony

"I'm gonna run this one river left I think.... So far river left, that I'm gonna be on the bank. With my boat on my shoulder."
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Re: Leave upside down

Post by Craig Smerda »

cadster wrote:It isn't always best to right the boat. It depends on the canoe's outfitting.

I know my Probe 14 with a triple saddle rides much higher upside down after flipping and escaping than when right side up without bailing.
From my experience... getting a boat (canoe, C1, kayak, ducky, raft or what have you) flipped "right side up" makes a huge difference in how quickly and safely you or other people can get the thing to shore or get the water dumped out.

Maybe Paul Mason, Martin Talbot or someone can do a quick video on the "canoe over canoe" gathering and dumping method that the Canadians have absolutely mastered... the more "round up" techniques we can show people the better.

:lol:
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

Jim Michaud wrote:What? No "zero" choices? How's Dooley or Eli going to be able to answer that poll?
Exactly. I haven't Guppied at all this year. On the other hand, I only do wimpy rivers. :oops:
Bob P
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

How about the mid-river remount? Used to do that all the time - get your buddy (even a kayaker will do) to grab and lean on one gunwale, you climb over the other. Ought to be manageable even in small boats, bulkheads would be easier to be back in control quickly than straps...
old
Pain Boater

Post by old »

What about swims that put you in the hospital? Do you win anything for that?
Hey Tim, What rapid is this?
Yukon
Yukan Canoe

Post by Yukon »

Wow and I thought only I swam. I had a bunch of swims this year. I swim lots. Gotta nail my river roll. Next year for sure. I rivers are cold and shallow. Usually swim playing but this year had some swims getting flipped on some harder water resulting in some good swims, which was a good thing.

My students swim lots and we have a throwbag at the stern and teach self rescue and once people learn they can save their own butt it sure builds confidence that all it was, was a SWIM

NOT SWIMMING-NOT LEARNING

Unless you are Mike T who has a bomber roll and can hang in upside down foreveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer :)
cadster
CBoats Addict

Re: Leave upside down

Post by cadster »

No question, if you have a dry boat, it's more manageable upright.

Almost all of my swims have been self-rescues where I get the boat to shore before anyone else comes to my aid. The added water weight coming from righting the canoe would have prevented me from doing so.

I've also bulldozed boats to shore faster by leaving them upside down and not gaining the extra inertia added when they are turned over. This has happened on busy rivers that don't allow time to dump the boat over mine.

Basically you need to find out what works best for your canoe given its outfitting, i.e. electric pumps and amount of flotation.
Craig Smerda wrote: From my experience... getting a boat (canoe, C1, kayak, ducky, raft or what have you) flipped "right side up" makes a huge difference in how quickly and safely you or other people can get the thing to shore or get the water dumped out.
cadster
CBoats Addict

Post by cadster »

Another benefit of leaving a runaway canoe upside down on rocky rivers is that it'll more readily get hung up on midstream rocks.
jnorto01
C Guru

Post by jnorto01 »

I've got three swims in so far, and I'm gonna cop the "it was not my boat excuse" although the season is not over and I'm sure I have a few more coming my way.

I had borrowed a Prelude to surf the lunch spot hole on the NB, all the while thinking I'm probably going to swim out of this boat. 1 down.

Paul's Sith put a serious schooling on me. That was good for the other 2.