Y'all need to lighten the _ _ _ _ up!!!

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

I have swam out of my canoe ___ times this year

Poll ended at Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:27 am

one
18%
two
12%
three
18%
four
8%
five
14%
six
4%
seven
27%

Total votes: 51

Bill M
C Guru

Does when playing count?

Post by Bill M »

We used to say swims during play didn't count. If that counts then it makes a huge difference. I still have some but only a small percent of the total.
Bill
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

jnorto01 wrote:NB
???
jnorto01
C Guru

Post by jnorto01 »

NB = North Branch of the Potomac

Allegheny/Garett Co. MD
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

over 100 days of paddling a Zoom this year started off with at least a swim a run.. much better now but I'm safely in the "over 10" category... then I started C1ing and while working on outfitting I've fallen out of that over ten times... lots of fun, swimming isn't a biggy as how how else am I going to rinse my gear?
Eli
The Canoe Guru - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by Eli »

I'll bet I swam in front of the biggest crowd.
My last swim was at Gorilla during the Green Race last November.
I flipped at the notch, rolled on the launchpad and dropped backwards off the main drop into an instantaneous piton/ejection. Unfortunately for me, the safety team all missed me and I took the extended ride to the bottom of Green Scream Machine while my Prelude hung out in the speedtrap until it ripped the grommets off my airbag which then worked its way free.
A thick wetsuit, creek gloves, elbow pads and my helmet allowed me to paddle out and I only limped for about a week.
It was the most epic swim of my life and I hope to never have a repeat of that run (especially not during this years race)!
When in Doubt...Paddle Forward!
www.thecanoeguru.com
SamS
C Boater

Post by SamS »

My first swim this year was on the first rapid of the Middle Cranberry. If anyone knows this rapid, it's got a kinda rocky entrance into a big rock into the middle that you have to go left or right of. Welll, I ended up hitting it head on, and somehow getting stuck between the rock and my sideways boat that was getting pushed onto the rock, and stayed underwater in that spot for a bit. It was kind of scary, but not a big deal.

The other was when I flipped on the eddyline in Upper Keeney, and swam the meat of Middle Keeney and was almost taken into the Meatgrinder... Thankfully a raft rescued me!
greybear
C Guru

Post by greybear »

I can't remember maybe 5 or 6 or more not sure. Swims don't bother me, my best swim this year in a foot of water on Stock Creek going through Natural Tunnel State Park inside the tunnel. Two kayaker flipped one swam, the other made her roll. I caugt a eddie and flipped on a rock, jumped back in my boat and made the ferry and run the rest of rapid fine. By the way my head lamp got wet and still works. Swims happen no big deal, kayakers have big mind games when they swim.
Greybear
ELGOTTO
C Guru

Post by ELGOTTO »

I have taken a few swims this year but strangely enough they are never in the teeth of a rapid. They are always in easy stuff when I'm not really focused. I'll roll sometimes but other times it is such shallow water that I can just stand up empty my boat jump back in and go.
Kelvin
C Guru

Post by Kelvin »

Hi Folks,

Well, none yet! There is still time though....

Kelvin.
http://www.sweet-skills.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mattm
C Guru

haven't paddled

Post by mattm »

I got bursitus in June from too much canoe poling, too much poling was from levels not being great paddling, and last paddle was in May I think, down from my usual 3 runs a week, and daily for a couple weeks in March or April when local was ripping. The one swim I remember was catching a curler, and I remember thinking bracing with your knees over your waist was probably not going to be too effective. Did a mid river jump in, 'cuz levels being what they were, I wasn't going to make the bank.
My son Aaron swam at the near same spot the day before or after, doing a peelout into the same wave.
Next swim will probably be saturday.....rusty a sheck I'd imagine.
so glad for Krylon, ABS and acetone.Squirt, sail, paddle and pole.
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

I haven't had a lot of swims this year dispite the previous post, but if this is turning into the confessional, I have to say an epic was three months ago through Grumpy on the Ocoee on a juiced up flow and all those new sharp rocks. Wow! My shins just now are getting presentable enough to take back in the public.
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

Thanks Craig. The swim started at 0.47 and you entered the eddy at 2:16. Just sayin'!
iRolled
BlackFly Canoes

Post by iRolled »

Eli wrote:I'll bet I swam in front of the biggest crowd.
My last swim was at Gorilla during the Green Race last November.
I swam at sweets falls on the Gauley. Not much of a beatdown, but there was a ginormous crowd on both sides of the river.

I've had 20+ swims this year. Most of my swims are in mild stuff, usually from letting my guard down and tripping on some rock. The rest of my swims are usually from trying something new, surfing, 360's, failed roll attempts, ect. I haven't swam through many rapids recently, other than my Gauley swims. All of my Gauley swims were in rapids, but I had good quick self-rescues. I may have also swam The Elbow, on the Little river above Townsend. I've got around 120 days on the river this year, so I've got an average of one swim per weekend. I can live with that.

My philosophy on swimin is, "If you're not swimin, you're not trying nothing new, if you're trying nothing new, you ain't learnig anyhing"

Here's a good carnage flick. "Click" HOLD MY BEER

http://www.waldensridgewhitewater.com/f ... beer#p1497
Team Blackfly
http://www.blackflycanoes.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.astraldesigns.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.immersionresearch.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Alex... how'd you get you nickname again? :lol:
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

Considering I've only been paddling for a year, I'd hate to guess how many swims I've had in the past year. I bet it is over 40....