How to size a paddle? Research project.

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

scottmacgregor
c

How to size a paddle? Research project.

Post by scottmacgregor »

I'm doing a little research for an article.

I'm looking into all the ways (traditional and modern) we tell folks how to size up a canoe paddle. I certainly know what I like, but I don't have a simple answer for my brother who paddles once a year. He then asks why I have one of every inch length from 56 to 60.

What do you tell folks and/or what do you remember being told, perhaps at camp or in your first course.

Thanks for your help.

Scott
Scott MacGregor
Publisher
Rapid Media

Rapid, Canoeroots & Family Camping, Adventure Kayak, Kayak Angler, Reel Paddling Film Festival, Canadian Whitewater Instructor Conference, Palmer Fest
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

For what little it's worth, here is the "official" CBoats.net answer for the starting point for folks to evaluate paddles:

Shaft length is best determined by your torso height and the type of paddling you plan on doing (Slalom boaters prefer longer paddles than rodeo boaters, for instance). In general the distance from the top of your shoulder to the waterline (or floor, when kneeling or sitting on an object roughly the height of your pedestal) is your approximate shaft length. Add blade length onto that and you've got total paddle length.
Keep the C!
Adam
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

56 for c1
58 for oc
That's good enough, right?
Larry
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

larry's method says my paddle is 4" too long. adam's says that either my paddle is about 8" too long, or that i should have an 11" high seat.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

You have a 3" seat in an OC? :o
Keep the C!
Adam
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

yeah he probably does...., foam is EXPENSIVE!
Larry
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Scott, I think you need to expand your range - surely you could go shorter than 56" or longer than 60"? Maybe you need some different canoes that could use different paddles.

From Camp Stephens in the 80s & 90s, the ol':

Paddle shaft across the top of your head with your hands on the grip positions, elbows should be at right angles.

Butt of the paddle on the ground, blade tip to about your chin. (Actually, just checked that against an old paddle, and it's more like to my collar bone, but that's not the way I remember it.)

Stretch out your arms, and the paddle butt-to-tip should go about writst-to-wrist.

We didn't have any otter tails or beaver tails or whatever the long-bladed paddles are, and certainly no bent shafts. Just the good ol' Clements, and of course Mohawks.

Pat.
fez
CBoats Addict

Post by fez »

I don`t understand why you always mess around with these measures... :o
Last edited by fez on Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
imagine
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

Chin or below. The rest if preference. I recently went from a 58, to 56, because I believe a shorter blade will cause me to use cleaner technique. Good training tool.
http://www.gnarlzoutdoors.com
Silverbirch Canoes - North American Distributor
Email: tom@gnarlzoutdoors.com
jakke
CBoats Addict

Post by jakke »

I don't even know the length of my paddle, it's sized right for me, don't know the length.

I should measure it though, for once I want t o by me a new one with wooden shaft.
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

This is highly personal question :oops: that has been tossed around several times. Perhaps a search might turn up a few formulas. And even these would need to be tempered by paddling style or technique, plus what Adam said about torso, boat, and arms. While looking at paddling pics it's really common to see all these low top hands, and I've wondered if their paddle is short or it's this boater's (taught or chosen) technique. And as I learned a few years ago, we don't all just paddle whitewater... so we might want to or need to resize (several inches shorter) for flat water, touring, or downriver racing.
pyc1
C Boater

Post by pyc1 »

Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

philcanoe wrote: While looking at paddling pics it's really common to see all these low top hands, and I've wondered if their paddle is short or it's this boater's (taught or chosen) technique.
I'm old. worn out. a low top hand for me just feels better on the shoulder.
Larry
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MrJack
c

Post by MrJack »

To answer the original question... when I took my beginner WW canoe class (OC-2) back in june the instructor told us to grip the paddle with one hand on the throat and one just below T-grip. When resting paddle shaft on top of head with that grip elbows should be bent at 90 degrees. Obviously that is not a scientific formula, but I guess they felt it should get you in the ball park. Someone at the Mohawk factory mentioned it should be about chin height when standing straight up. In that case I would need about a 70'' paddle.

Many people take it for granted that they know what should feel right. As a newbie with no experience I didn't really know what it should feel like. I drove myself crazy trying to make a decision on the length. I hated the idea of spending $155 on a paddle thinking I may down the road wish I had gotten one longer or shorter. I ended up buying a 58 after reading a bunch of different formulas. Just so happens that with the 58... my elbows are bent 90 degrees when I hold it horizontally on top of my head with my hands on the throat and just below T-grip.