Speaking of paddle length...

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

MrJack
c

Speaking of paddle length...

Post by MrJack »

I don't want to beat a dead horse, but I think we can all agree that personal preference plays a big role in what paddle length we decide on.

My problem is that I am new to Open boating this year and because of my limited experience am not really sure what I prefer.

I have a couple of questions that may help me decide on either a 58 or 60.

First... Can I use the same paddle length to paddle tandem (stern) and Solo?

Second... What are the trade-offs between using a paddle that may be slightly too short vs. a paddle that is slightly too long?

I have paddled tandem (stern) with both a 58 and 60. I can't really say I can tell a difference but I think this is due to my lack of experience. I want to make a good decision when spending good money on a new paddle.

Thanks!
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

That said...

... it's a lot easier to shorten one, than to make it longer. I'm guessing that after a while of paddling with a longer one, you'll be able to borrow a shorter one (for 2-3-5-10 minutes) and tell a great deal, about which you prefer.

For me...

I started with a 60" years ago, and went to 59.25" (a quarter inch to wear off) a few years later... and then 58 recently after some shoulder injury. Not sure if I'm just wearing out a new location on the old-shoulder :oops: but that inch made it feel better. It's also likely that as we age, we tend to become a bit more diminished :roll: in height.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I very rarely feel uncomfortable because a paddle is too short. I frequently feel awkward with a paddle that is too long (at least longer than I have grown accustomed) - in shallow water (lately it seems that it is ALL shallow) I bang on rocks more and my top shoulder isn't happy.

Occasionally I wish I had a longer stick paddling tandem, especially when reaching back for a rudder when trying to surf. But only occasionally...

Grab/borrow/find a couple paddles to try for complete sessions - cover at least a six inch range in sizes and at least one that is 2" shorter than your "normal" paddle.
cadster
CBoats Addict

Post by cadster »

A shorter paddle makes offside strokes easier to do.

Since a stern paddler doesn't do offside strokes usually, you can go longer tandem versus solo.

Paddle length is basically a tradeoff between power versus quickness.