Green Narrow Race - Entrants and Spectators?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Green Narrow Race - Entrants and Spectators?

Post by Todhunter »

Dad and I will be there to watch - anyone else planning on being there? Tommy - still planning on racing? Anyone else going to be racing?
iRolled
BlackFly Canoes

Post by iRolled »

I was planning on spectating myself. Do you know how to get there.
Team Blackfly
http://www.blackflycanoes.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.astraldesigns.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.immersionresearch.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
OC1er
CBoats Addict

Post by OC1er »

[/url]http://www.americanwhitewater.org/conte ... 18109/[url]

Good info on AW site. Go earlier than you think, it turns into a massive sh!t show in there...the last bit of the hike is hella steep, people bring their dogs and grandmothers and everything else out there and a huge bottle neck develops on the last bit of trail down into the gorge...One year I saw a un-anchored guy lowering a small child into the gorge on an insanely steep slope off-trail, then some one else's dog 'bout took me down, other years I've gotten there super early and just cruised on in. It's pretty cool watching Gorilla go from a trickle to monster status in a matter of minutes when the water hits[/url]
Its not about the approach. Its about control in the hole.
CosmikDebris
CBoats Addict

to hike in:

Post by CosmikDebris »

from boatingbeta.com:

Get off exit 53, Upward Rd. of I-26. Turn right onto Big Hungry Road (you'll see an apple packing shed on the left, then two churches next door to each other on the right; turn after the second church), then take your first left (to stay on Big Hungry Road . . .), then your first right (to . . . you guessed it . . . stay on Big Hungry Road) to the Pulliam Creek Trail (a total distance of 5.9 miles from the interstate). Park on the right side of road (being careful not to block traffic) and look over the side. You'll see a modest footbridge (two logs) over a tiny creek. Approximately two miles from the trailhead you'll come to a very steep path falling off the mountain. Take this path to the river. The last part is very steep, requiring scrambling on hands and knees. The path comes out just upstream of Sunshine Falls, near Groove Tube / Nutcracker. Head upstream, passing Rapid Transit and Green Scream Machine to get to the four distinct drops and four linking sections that comprise Gorilla [from the bottom up, and using Tom V's names: Nies' Pieces, Butt Cruncher, the Speed Trap, Zoom Flume (the main drop), the Brain Mirror (the calm part of which is the eddy many boaters choose to catch), the Notch (local name = the Narrows, pronounced the Gnarrs), the Prayer Zone and Pencil Sharpener]. The hike in takes 45 minutes to an hour.
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

I'm going to follow the boatingbeta directions. I plan to be there by at least 9AM. I'll probably wear my helmet and PFD, because I heard some guy fell in at one of the last races and wasn't wearing any protection and got beat up pretty good in a hole.
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

consider arriving before 9AM

Post by Wendy »

To get a good parking spot and avoid crowds
CosmikDebris
CBoats Addict

Post by CosmikDebris »

as long as you don't get close to the edge, you won't fall in. that guy was drunk and on pain pills. Not to say there aren't a lot of people, but a helmet and pfd would probably be overkill and you'd wind up just having to carry them around the whole time. There's actually lots of room down there, and plenty of places to watch.

On a side note, if there's a bunch of people planning to spectate, it'd be good to leave a car somewhere and just drive one car down to the trailhead. Parking get's ridiculous and the landowners aren't to stoked on it, so the more consolidation the better. You could leave a car at the waffle house on the exit, gas station, or there's a hotel there... plenty of options.
Eli
The Canoe Guru - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by Eli »

I'm at 50% regarding my attendance this year, but I plan to take a couple of practice rides. If another open canoe registers, I'll race.

As we get down to the wire, it sounds like Wes is on the fence due to finances and is living in Athens, GA in need of a carpool. Zach sounded fired up about it, but doesn't think he has a boat that is Green worthy. Dooley is again forced to say, "next year" due to work obligations. Full Gnarlz sounds like he has good sense but I sense that he is contemplating ignoring that pesky inner voice of reason.

Who is feeling it and has friends with ropes, cameras, loud voices and some free time November 6th?
I know there are solid canoers out there that have the ability.
I'd bet Scriver or someone else in creeking shape could outsprint me at the moment...who knows perhaps Jeremy or Craig could surprise us with how fast their designs are.
I'm willing to share my knowledge of the river and paddle together with aspiring racers.

With every year that passes, I play a challenging mental game. I'm getting older and my body really does hurt at times (especially when I think about my crash and burn last year), but I'd love to have a class of 5 canoes before I hang up my paddle.

Be sure you are ready, but I am looking forward to company out there when you are.
PM me for training...
Eli 8)
When in Doubt...Paddle Forward!
www.thecanoeguru.com
Mr.DeadLegs
CBoats Addict

Post by Mr.DeadLegs »

Come on guys I want to photograph some OCs running the race. If it is just kayakers I will stay home.
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways totally worn out, shouting "Holy large steaming pile of dog doo what a Ride" " Nolan Whitesell
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

Last Cheoah release of the year is schedued for the same day. The way it's been raining around here, might be the only chance to boat for a while.
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

Mr.DeadLegs wrote:Come on guys I want to photograph some OCs running the race. If it is just kayakers I will stay home.
Yeah, if there aren't going to be OC's, I'll just go paddling somewhere!
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

Anyone from the north heading down that way?
http://www.gnarlzoutdoors.com
Silverbirch Canoes - North American Distributor
Email: tom@gnarlzoutdoors.com
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter