C-1 footwear?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Alden
CBoats Addict

C-1 footwear?

Post by Alden »

Hi everyone,

While I have been going barefoot or in rodeo socks for a while the last few years, it's time to get some real shoes again.

However, I need something flexible and low-profile enough to wear in a C-1.

What do you folks recommend?

Alden
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

I have hard time getting much of a shoe in my c1's. My creek set up is more accomadating than my playboat, but i still usually just wear rodeo socks. I think footwear is one of the real limitations of c1, just can't get away with wearing the big 5.10 or trail type shoes that you can fit in a kayak.
TNbound
CBoats Addict

Post by TNbound »

I've got some neoprene booties designed for sailing that work alright. A little more substantial than rodeo socks, but not too bulky. I'd love to be able to fit a pair of keen sandals in my boat, but I don't see that happening.
-Anthony

"I'm gonna run this one river left I think.... So far river left, that I'm gonna be on the bank. With my boat on my shoulder."
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

Found myself some river booties that have such a soft and thin sole that they fit easily in my C1. The other ones I have for open boating stresses my feets so much I get cramps. The ones I have are so soft they are almost neoprene socks! Walking with these sucks; I can feel the pebbles and they're slippery but still a little bit better than neo socks only, like some of my C1ing friends are doing. So that's my compromise.

This is what they look like:

Guess these slippers could do as well:

At some point I was also thinking of the vibram flow for the summer...

Watch out; that river has rocks on the bottom. :o
markzak
CBoats Addict

Post by markzak »

I use cheap-o booties, like the ones that outfitters usually give out to their guests. Its just a neoprene sock with a flexible rubber sole. They only last me a season or two, but since i work for an outfitter from time to time, i have no problem finding replacements.

I just bought a pair of NRS Attack shoes to upgrade. The sole is relatively narrow compared to other booties, making it much easier for a C1, it doesnt get stuck between my saddle and my thigh braces when i try to get out.
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

I have the attack shoes, too. They aren't my favorite. They have had some problems with the glue and stitching and the drainage mesh does a better job of letting sand in then letting water out. The mtn surf (or maybe now skirtworks) kevlar socks look pretty nice. no sole, but tougher than similar socks on market.
C1 8.1
c

Wave Sport Neo booties and Teva Sling Kings

Post by C1 8.1 »

I sit pretty low and have liked the Wave Sport Neo booties. If you can find them get them. I gave up and just bought a pair of Teva Sling Kings from REI. Ordered one size up as they run small. Hope to hit the USNWC Saturday and break them in. Was given a pair of Desperado shoes two sizes too big. I use them with my drysuit as the socks are so big.
Joe Berry
John Coraor
CBoats Addict

Post by John Coraor »

Alden:

A cheap compromise is to look for the cheap beach shoes that you often find in K-Mart, Walmart, Target or other discount stores. They typically have thin flimsy soles and uppers that provide only minimal protection to your feet, but also provide minimal bulk. There is usually just enough of a sole for them to be better at scrambling around on rocks than a wetsuit sock, but without much more bulk. You can also wear them overtop of a wetsuit sock to protect the sock from wearing out as quickly. Because they are cheaply constructed, they tend to wear out very quickly, but who cares? They're cheap!! You can often pick them up for less than $10 a pair.

Look for models without lacing or buckles on top, as those usually get in the way when you lay the top of your feet flat in a C-boat. My favorite pairs are a step-in style with a simple drawstring and cordlock around the ankle. I merely cut a slit in the back of the channel for the drawstring and reverse the drawstring & cordlock to close in back (over my heel) instead of in front over my instep.

As C-boating tends to abrade the toes pretty quickly, I typically apply "Shoe Goo" to the toes to reinforce them. "Shoe Goo" is a plastic paste for repairing shoe soles that comes in a squeeze tube like toothpaste. I just squeeze out an eight-inch thickness over the toe of each shoe and it makes the shoes last 20 times longer.

Did I mention that they're cheap?

John
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Nike Aquasocks are a step up from the cheap Wa-Mart shoes and last a lot longer - the Wal-Mart ones last about 5 days for me. For me, though its about outfitting. Any more, if I can't wear a proper shoe (I.e. NRS bootie), my outfitting is too tight or the boat is just too small.
Rand C1
C Guru

Post by Rand C1 »

You don't want anything with much of a heel. It can hang up if you should need to wet exit.
Rand
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

oopsiflipped wrote: The mtn surf (or maybe now skirtworks) kevlar socks look pretty nice. no sole, but tougher than similar socks on market.
yes, skirtworks makes them now, i almost bought a set at g-fest. they look pretty tough while being minimally thick as well
Joe
Alden
CBoats Addict

Post by Alden »

Thanks for the responses. Those Tevas look good, but I'll have to check out the Walmart shoes as well.
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

the keen payettes fit in my creekboat. they're ok but not as good as my old nike toketees that i refuse to let die. Those were the best boating shoes ever made.
Larry
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Five toes: Expensive, get sand in them, only for warm weather, don't have enough sole for walking out over railroad track gravel, take time to get use to. Fit like a glove, can fit in even the smallest of boat, are good on big rocks, have that funkie / soul look, don't smell after use. Not sure on durability yet
Neoprene booties: usually don't have enough paddling, look dorky, don't fit in my cquirt, better on gravel but not by much, STINK after use. Priced not bad, warmer, functional, last.
Teva sandels - not too bad price wise. fit well, not good for laying the foot flat on the hull. Dont smell, last, multifunctional usage.
Neoprene socks: Stink after use, not too durable - short life. hurt like heck on gravel, not good on big rocks, look geekie. Fit in all boats, cheaper, warm, can wear with stuff over them (see neoprene booties or discount "surf" shoes).
Discount "surf" shoes: Can be geekie (or kewl), not real good on big rock,one size fits many. CHEAP, disposal, don;t stink too bad, okay on gravel, neoprene socks can fit in them if warmth needed.
Keens and other higher end river shoes... don't know never purchased. Been told - Pricy, look kewler, good reviews on gravel and big rocks, warm enough, mulit use, last. no idea on smell.

Good luck!
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
pyc1
C Boater

Post by pyc1 »

You guys must really sit low. I used some NRS felt soled booties for many years with no problems. Great traction, thick enough for walking on gravel, etc. Never a problem with comfort or ejecting while in the boat.

But those wore out and I ended up with some booties with a rubber sole that was thinner than I expected. Carrying to put-ins, takeouts, scouting is a tad more painful than I expected. Will probably return to thicker soles.