L'edge saddle adjustment

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

savagekevin
c

L'edge saddle adjustment

Post by savagekevin »

I've just got my new L'edge :D

And I've got a bit of newbie question.

I haven't made it to the water yet, but the first thing I notice is that I don't fit in the saddle.

It seems to be a matter of the size of my legs. I don't slide forward enough in the bulkhead to get my butt down on the saddle. So I'm about three inches above it with my spine hard against the back of the seat.

I'm assuming to keep the balance right, the correct thing to do would be to enlarge the diameter of the bulkhead so I slide further forward rather than chop a couple of inches of the back of the seat.

As might be obvious, I've only ever been using thigh and knee straps, so I'm uncertain about adjusting it.

Be great to hear from others with this new Esquif saddle how you've adjusted it.

Looking forward to trying it out soon on some Swiss or French rivers.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

I'd suggest you start by trimming the thigh/leg holes to fit you first. If you still need a bit more room after that you might consider trimming the back of the saddle... but in most cases it's just a matter of getting the cutouts for yourself to your size leg.
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

thigh hole trim

Post by Wendy »

In keeping with Craig's comment- I would add trim thw outside walls first to get knees out
savagekevin
c

thanks Craig and Wendy!

Post by savagekevin »

thanks!
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

My ankles were killing me after paddling the other weekend. I've got to do something - level out the seat and/or add ankle blocks. I can paddle my Maxim multiple hours in a row just fine, so I need to figure out what the difference is and make my L'Edge like that...
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

In my Ledge, I raised the seat an inch and widened it an inch on each side. With winter paddling clothes on I'm going to have to trim a bit at the knee holes. Comfy
savagekevin
c

Post by savagekevin »

Well, I've widened the knee holes and now just make it down to the seat but made a mistake in enlarging them equally. I should have left the front/opening as it was and concentrated on removing foam lower down at the bottom where my knees are coming out. Now I've got too much space up at the top once I'm sitting, so I'm putting a thin tapered layer of foam back on up there :(

Per Todhunter, even sitting in it for 10minutes working on it makes my ankles hurt - totally unlike my other boat, which I can in all day happily. Wish I knew why. Height of saddle and width of knees I suppose are the two factors involved.
ian123
CBoats Addict

Post by ian123 »

You may want to check the trim before you add any foam. You may need to be further forward.
kimmieOC1
C Guru

Post by kimmieOC1 »

I have short legs so I probably have different fit issues than most of you. But Wendy suggested I remove foam from the side walls of the boat. That has made a huge difference, both in my ankles not killing me and being able to control the boat with my body.

I also raised the seat an inch and took out foam from the lower area of the knee holes. My butt still comes off the seat when I'm upside down so I still don't have it perfect.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

everyone is different... we tried to get them as close to the "middle" as possible.

bulkheads always need to be custom tailored.
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter