Paddles

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Paddles

Post by 2opnboat1 »

We are ready to drop a new paddle on the world. Check it out.
http://mohawkcanoes.com/accessories.html
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

What does it weigh?

Not sure I like the looks of the shaft-blade connection (looks like their is a bump or ridge there, and it isn't smooth, but perhaps that is just the picture). Otherwise looks sweet!
Keep the C!
Adam
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

It is about 300 grams The reason for the weird shaft to blade joint is this allows us to use different shafts for custom paddles. In the future we will release a kevlar graphite version. But all that will come in time.

The number I put out above is wrong the real number is 480 grams. One can be ordered that wheighs out at 380 grams.
Last edited by 2opnboat1 on Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Guin
bearboater
CBoats Addict

Post by bearboater »

300g with s-glass? that's insanely light for a non-carbon paddle. my g-powers were 600g or slightly more. and the galasport mcq paddle is in a similar weight range. 300g is extremely hard for me to believe... What material is the core of the blade? the TE5 blade from galasport was 370g, and it was stupid light. I broke around 9 in a year from racing, only 2 of those involved hitting something...

If i'm wrong, i apologize. I'd be more inclined to believe it if you post a scale shot on the mohawk website.
:)
cheers
-ids
race boats are so fast, i bet its in the speed wing.
Eric Nyre
C Guru

Post by Eric Nyre »

Slightly off topic, but does the Dog Ballast come in different colors?

=)
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

I don't think Kevlar has any role in a paddle.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Carbon, on the other hand....

My lightest paddle I still have is a ZRE...without the aluminum tip or a dynel edge it really isn't a whitewater paddle (at least for our east coast rivers) IMhO. Comes in at 22 oz (623 grams)....

My old "favorite" with a tip was a Schlegal - and that was 18oz of carbon artistry.

My current favorite is an Echo with an aluminum tip, weighing in at around 20-22 oz.

I'm curious to see, and paddle, your new sticks.
Keep the C!
Adam
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

ezwater wrote:I don't think Kevlar has any role in a paddle.
My Galasport is a carbon/kevlar weave. I got it for the increased flex over the straight carbon blade. Works great, very light, and lasts a long time.
Bob P
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

BearBoater you are right the Numbers I put out are wrong (not on purpose, slight reading prob) the paddle wheighs out at right around 480 grams give or take a few grams. There is no core to speak of. It is a high compresion injetion molded blade. It is made of Graphite, Kevlar and S glass and has a glass shaft. This weight came from the USPS scales. And dude if you are breaking ( paddles a year you should read Principals Of Effortless Power by Peter Ralston. It will teach you how to transfer power instead cranking like mad just to break the paddle. (this book is not a paddleing book it is a book on movement.
Richard Guin
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Is the tip reinforced in any way? A layer or three of Dynel, a piece of dynel rope, or even the old standby of an aluminum tip is a nice piece of insurance on our rocky rivers.
Keep the C!
Adam
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I reallllly don't care for aluminum tips because of the mushrooming - the only one I haven't had it happen with is my Norse but it also does double duty as a camp axe and shovel.

Dynel has been working much, much better for me. Had Walt Jepson replace the Al in to Climax paddles with great results.
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

Bob P, on the carbon/Kevlar weave, Kevlar is hardly any more stretchy than carbon, and isn't really any lighter, so I can only assume that they were able to make the paddle a bit flexier (and lighter?) by relying on Kevlar's ability (real in this situation?) to prevent snap failure.

My Clinch River slalom paddle has a mixed carbon/Kevlar shaft, but it's heavier than my Mitchell, and somewhat less flexible. And, when the shaft bends hard, the mediocre compression strength in Kevlar can't be doing anything useful.

Galasport are pretty smart, but I still think paddles can be made in any practical degree of lightness and flexibility by using carbon only.

The reason Kevlar can look great for hull use is that hulls can get deformed to a degree that blades and shafts never will. And Kevlar, inside the hull, deals well with such marked deformation.
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

The tip is kevlar reinforced now but that will prob change to a dynal tip.

The paddle picture is the base model, being offered as a very strong light paddle for a cheap price. I can have one done up custom out of about anything you want (carbon/kevlar, carbon or what ever) this paddle is just the economy version. Not ment for a lot of supper hard boating. We have the layup for that also. :wink:
Richard Guin
bearboater
CBoats Addict

Post by bearboater »

you'd be amazed when you come in for an upstream, and the blade snaps from the torque you have on it, and you flip over the other way... :) i've popped a couple like that, i broke a few CRC's, Galas, only 1 gpower. torque is a strong force... and the shape of the te5 although very powerful on the catch and stroke, simply wasn't strong enough for a few things.... tony doesn't even use a blade that galasport sells...
race boats are so fast, i bet its in the speed wing.
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

ezwater wrote:Bob P, on the carbon/Kevlar weave, Kevlar is hardly any more stretchy than carbon, and isn't really any lighter, so I can only assume that they were able to make the paddle a bit flexier (and lighter?) by relying on Kevlar's ability (real in this situation?) to prevent snap failure. ...
The modulus of Kevlar is roughly half that of high-strength (low modulus) carbon, while their tensile strengths are similar. Unless the weave angle is different, Kevlar will reduce stiffness significantly. That is confirmed when I compare my mixed-fiber Galasport to the full-carbon version.
Bob P