Winter Project No. ???

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Winter Project No. ???

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

I've come up with a lot of ideas which are slowly edging towards realisation, (though the fact that they compete among each other, with work and with boating doesn't help)...

And this is one of them...

Any opinions?
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
horizongfx
CBoats Addict

Re: Winter Project No. ???

Post by horizongfx »

TheKrikkitWars wrote:I've come up with a lot of ideas which are slowly edging towards realisation, (though the fact that they compete among each other, with work and with boating doesn't help)...

Any opinions?
Looks alot like the Maxim Hull from the bottom .
For me; boating brings me closer to to something divine, and in a open canoe I'm 8 Inches closer.
...........O
......(___|/____)
............/.............
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Re: Winter Project No. ???

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

horizongfx wrote:
TheKrikkitWars wrote:I've come up with a lot of ideas which are slowly edging towards realisation, (though the fact that they compete among each other, with work and with boating doesn't help)...

Any opinions?
Looks alot like the Maxim Hull from the bottom .
Hmmm, I've never seen a maxim, but I guess its encouraging to be simmilar to an already well regarded design.

I was working off the principle of the Nomad (I know it's a buttboat/kaynoe) but ended up using a much shallower arch> I may have a play with my CAD software to try and get it more how I'd originally envisaged.

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
french erick
C Guru

Post by french erick »

what about your airbag/stowbag? did you ever get my text about it?
See you next week anyway...I'm well stoked about a small manageable meet. Seeing as though I'll be the weakest in the lot, I'll gain a lot. Hopefully water will be there at a naviguable level (I don't fancy it if too flood-like).
Erick Baillot
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

Looks interesting. Not sure about the ends though. Looks like there is tumblehome all the way to the ends, and the ends are curved back. All this reduces volume in the ends and makes them more cut through waves than rise over them, making for a potentially quite wet ride.
I like the rocker profile, should be super maneuvrable.

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

french erick wrote:what about your airbag/stowbag? did you ever get my text about it?
I think I did, but I've stopped work on my two fabric based projects as my mum broke her sewing machine, and stole my industrial one to use in the meantime.

RodeoClown
BlackFly Canoes

Post by RodeoClown »

Hm, looks awfully small to me. It says "dimensions in Millimeters" 113mm is a really small canoe! :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xlf5ucFanpY
Jeremy Laucks
Owner, Blackfly Canoes
http://www.blackflycanoes.com
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

RodeoClown wrote:Hm, looks awfully small to me. It says "dimensions in Millimeters" 113mm is a really small canoe! :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xlf5ucFanpY
Dimensions are ANSI-Inch, it's just that I'm not used to the drafting portion of the software (when I was at school I did all my techincal drawings by hand, so never bothered to learn how to use the draft bit of the CAD)

Pulling the tumblehome to the ends is something of an experiment, I think it'll help resurfacing, whilst the agressive rocker should hopefully encourage it to ride over things in spite of the reduced volume.

Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

2nd the question about the bow design being wet... Also, it looks like you are going for extremely tight-radius chines. Is this meant to be a very play-oriented boat a'la the flat-planing hull of the nitro/detonator? Also, is it a trick of the eye, or is the bow/stern rocker really asymetrical?

Shep
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

I dunno, it doesn't really scream out "I'm a MANLY MAN" :wink:

I'm with gonzo on the ends.
Larry
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Shep wrote:2nd the question about the bow design being wet... Also, it looks like you are going for extremely tight-radius chines. Is this meant to be a very play-oriented boat a'la the flat-planing hull of the nitro/detonator? Also, is it a trick of the eye, or is the bow/stern rocker really asymetrical?

Shep
The rocker is assymetrical, the stern has two inches less rocker, and the rocker break at the front is one foot forward of dead centre, with the rear rocker break is two feet aft of dead centre, the idea being that It'll be a lot faster than if it was that agressiverly rockered and symetrical.

The sharp chines are all about making the boat carve through turns, although the angle the two curves meet at is rather more acute than I originally envisaged. FWIW, I simply haven't considered how this would "play" as I have a perfectly good CU-fly for that.

the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

I think in an open boat staying at the surface is a higher priority than resurfacing. The simple fact that the boat is open makes for pretty poor resurfacing, regardless of the amount of flare o tumblehome. Bow flare, especially near the gunwhale, helps tremendously in deflecting small waves and keeping the boat drywhile with straight sides or tumblehome the waves will just climb up the sides and end up inside the boat.

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

There was a good thread a month or three back about the fact that tight radius curves release from the current much easier than larger radius curves. By making really sharp bends, you might be creating a boat that skids through turns a lot more easily than it carves. Think about an OC slalom boat, which tends to have a lot of rocker and very rounded edges, and carves quite well. On the other hand, the nitro and detonator are designed for flat spins and such, and have much more angular edges.

Hope This Helps,
Shep
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Shep wrote:There was a good thread a month or three back about the fact that tight radius curves release from the current much easier than larger radius curves. By making really sharp bends, you might be creating a boat that skids through turns a lot more easily than it carves. Think about an OC slalom boat, which tends to have a lot of rocker and very rounded edges, and carves quite well. On the other hand, the nitro and detonator are designed for flat spins and such, and have much more angular edges.

Hope This Helps,
Shep
Well Ideally, (and in MK II) the two curves that form the hull should meet in such a way that the chine need not neccesarily be rounded at all, as it's the two curves and not their union which is having that effect...

Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

TheKrikkitWars wrote: Well Ideally, (and in MK II) the two curves that form the hull should meet in such a way that the chine need not neccesarily be rounded at all, as it's the two curves and not their union which is having that effect...
??? I'm confuzzed. :(