C-Squirt stuff - New vid and I'm DONE

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Great looking boat, love the design... looks like fish bones
Eli
The Canoe Guru - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by Eli »

I've still got it Larry!
Some day she'll float again... 8)
When in Doubt...Paddle Forward!
www.thecanoeguru.com
tennOC
Pain Boater

Post by tennOC »

:D That's too cool. I'll try to find the new tail piece I made for it over 20 years ago :o (it's around here somewhere), then you'll have all the parts.
BrownDog Boats- "Bring the Dog"
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Thats so cool!

Ok gents.. C-1 Downtime.... where is the bar set for that in our choice of watercraft? I've heard chatter about getting heads under but whats the most anyone's gotten in a C-1 and how deep. I was practicing flatwater mystery moves in a dinky and sinky Shred K squirt in the pool last night to get that flying down thing wired in my head to try to replicate in the Cquirt... was easily getting chest deep and holding it there in the K squirt.

I think I'll have to add a traveler to get real downtime in my acrobat, but thats ok with me at this point.
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Little lame vid from today... day #174 :)
http://www.vimeo.com/18283381
Aric
Pain Boater

downtime

Post by Aric »

I can consistently get my boat down to chest deep, and have gotten my chin wet a few times. Last year at Rincon I jumped in Mike's boat (Chopped for 140#) and was able to get my head completely under, but I haven't been able to repeat it yet. I think my boat just has too much volume, more cruiser than sinker. I have some ideas for a very low volume one off design , and have started the plug, but we now have a baby, and I'm not sure I'll be able to finish it this winter.
In the squirt book Jim talks about cross bow sweeps for bow squirts. I've had the best luck with a plow to crossbow sweep for getting good spin on the charc. This last year at Rincon there was a little wave in just the right spot, you could cross the eddy line, set up a surf, pearl the bow and then crossbow draw just as the bow got a foot under. I paddle on my right and that charc seems to work for coming out of attainers right eddies, where the main current is on your left. I'd love to hear about other people's charcs and how they're getting down.

Good luck,

Aric
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

I have a 30# weight I am going to secure to the thigh strap anchor points, just to see what that will do. :) I like where my boat is riding right now, and can prob get down the river ok in it (III) so don't want to chop it into a freak show. hahah
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

I can consistently get chest deep at Weldon. I just go down & pop right back up though. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh6CIAYlg0w

I think everyone got their ears wet at Cquirt this year. Mick, PAC & I were head under. None of us stayed down very long though. I think I did a loop. It was a great spot. If you hit it right, you went head under. If you hit it real right, you'd go head under, bounce off a rock & go deep :D

I don't know of anyone who's roaming. I won't be the first since I don't know what to do once I'm down.

Here's Adam in the Mentor: Image
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Great pic of Adam, thanks for the info. Here's a vid of me freezing my butt off today. Starting to get a little used to surfing the Cquirt.. talk about sensitive!
http://www.vimeo.com/18334654
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Water's warmer than the air - nothing wrong with that:)

That wave just calls for a Sith, by the way....

P.S. Nice Disco:)
Keep the C!
Adam
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

I love Discos, had a couple and they've always gotten me where I needed to go (while pulling a few jeeps out along the way). Tall thin tires are the trick.

Sith- wish I had one.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

I started out with a Willy's pickup ('57), '88 4Runner, then a '68 SIIa 88" land rover (still have it). My daily driver is an LR3 these days (picked up lightly used). Lots of boats fit up top of either... and the Mentor, Sith, or Wheelboy will fit inside too.
Keep the C!
Adam
RodeoClown
BlackFly Canoes

Post by RodeoClown »

One random observation I've had from the little bit of C-squirting I've done and the good amount of k-squirting: I think one of the major differences between how a k-squirt and c-squirt act under water is the difference in the long axis pivot point. If you think about your body remaining stationary and the boat moving edge to edge under it, the boat is essentially moving in a slight arc, since your spine isn't a perfect hinge at the top of your pelvis. That effect is more pronounced in a c-squirt, since you're sitting higher in the boat- in some cases even above the centerline of the boat. So the arc is much greater, and I think that might be part of the reason why it's harder to keep the boat "flat" underwater. To be perfectly honest, I really have no idea what the implications are for future design or technique, but I figured I'd throw it out there.
Jeremy Laucks
Owner, Blackfly Canoes
http://www.blackflycanoes.com
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Adam- I'm sure you probably know about this website but I'll list it just in case;
www.discoweb.org

Best resource I've found for solving Land Rover issues...

RC- thanks for the input, makes a lot of sense. Someone asked me the other day about handpaddles in a CSquirt. Told em it would look mighty funny using only one. :)
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

FYI, an Angst Squirt kayak doesn't allow enough knee width to work as a c-1, at least in my humble opinion. Just got one today and you guys were right. :) At least I was planning on buttboating this one. Hahaah