Esquif Spark

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Cheeks
CBoats Addict

Esquif Spark

Post by Cheeks »

Just wondering how the Spark compares to other boats, mainly an Ocoee or Viper 11.

From what I've heard, it's fast, twitchy, and can turn very quickly. What would I be in for if I paddled a Spark versus a Viper?

Thanks in advance
Chris Loomis
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

you should really paddle all of them if you can before buying

the Ocoee & Viper are "similar" imo

the Spark is f-a-s-t for a "rec" boat

so much depends on your style of paddling and what you expect of the boat
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
philcanoe
C Maven

Re: Esquif Spark

Post by philcanoe »

Tenzing wrote:Just wondering how the Spark compares to other boats, mainly an Ocoee or Viper 11.
Thanks in advance
Completely different.
  • :)
And they :wink:-both may be edgy.

In cross section one could likely be defined as being more of a "displacement hull", and the other as more of a "planing hull". Or maybe they could be called semi-arched versus flat. They both have edges. One is asymmetrical and widest forward of middle, this alone effects play, speed, and handling. Overall the main difference is likely to be a matter of reflexes, and how quick the paddler is. Usually people jump back and forth between the two with ease.
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

What Phil said. I have both and paddle both. The Spark is very fast and light and easy to cary if that matters for you. I don't find the Spark to be unstable at all. Your referring to it as "twitchy" is apt. The Spark will break you of some bad habits, especially any tendency to lean out over the gunnels. The Spark is extremely responsive to any lean or other change in body position. Just think about that ferry and it is done. I have had the Spark less than a year so my "go to" boat is still the Ocoee. I like the predictability and stability and it is much drier than the Spark. The Ocoee carves turns without breaking loose better, too.
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

i always thought i'd like the spark better if it had more of an ocoee-ish edge to it

chris-the spark is real easy to carry up the loop take-out :D
Joe
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

What "cheajack" said.... A lean out over the gunnels, needs to be part of a overall plan.

And not simply the position merely arrived at -or- thrown into. However - I paddle this boat differently, as with speed certain long forgotten :) can be had. Plotting the curve of 'Energy' versus Length of Ferry'. The Spark seems to lead itself into playing different features, one's which can be linked with far less effort. Not to be saying, this boat is better, as it's just simply different.
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

Phil; When I'm in the Spark I try to make "lean" adjustments by keeping my torso over my butt and lifting the gunnels with my knees forcing that "C" to form in my spine rather than leaning out over the gunnels. I have found that using waves and current features and eddy hoping through complex rapids to be much more fun and easier in the Spark than other boats. Is this what you mean by "linking". Could you expand on that and why you think the Spark is good at that? I just attriubuted it to upstream hull speed.
dafriend
C Guru

Post by dafriend »

I find the Spark to be much more nimble than the Viper. By that I mean it is able to change direction much quicker and with less effort. It also accelerates like a rocket though the Viper is no slouch in this category. The "0 to 60" time is one of my favorite things about the Spark.

Twitchy probably is a good description. Compared to the Viper it feels unstable if you're trying to hold it in "neutral" (flat) while sitting still. A little knee pressure one way or the other and that feeling is gone. Underway I don't notice this instability. Carving through a turn it is very stable even when heeled to the extreme.

Ferries are a gas in both boats though it's much easier for me to make the Spark accelerate during a ferry. With the correct angle, heel and paddle placement the Spark will accelerate in a ferry the same way a sailboat does when the sails catch on a reach. Whee... and no stroking required.

Both boats will spank you if you don't pay attention - though at different times and for different reasons. The Viper is much more likely to punish you if you offer an up stream edge at the wrong moment. The Spark will wake you up coming through a hole (or off a steep feature) when the stern, which has been way up out of the water due to the rocker, slices down into the boiling water that you thought you were well past. Be ready or have a good roll.

A Viper will surf in a broader range of situations; Front, back or side, it surfs well. In the right hole (with the right driver - not me) a Viper can spin like a top. The Spark... not so much. It will surf, just not as well. I cannot reliably make it spin. Though I'm not really into that. (Sour grapes?)

The Spark is wetter than the Viper. But it's easier to navigate a dry line through a twisted path with the Spark.

My Spark has reached the end of the line after four years of heavy use. Realizing the end was near I had been trying to decide whether to buy another or get a Viper. Think I'll go with a L'Edge. I'll miss the quickness of the Spark but hopefully I won't be able to wear out a L'Edge in just four seasons.

Dave
solo_konoe
Pain Boater

Post by solo_konoe »

Chris-
I'm assuming you saw Nate's post about his Spark, but just in case:
http://www.cboats.net/cforum/viewtopic.php?t=7963437

And, he posted that he travels from Philly to Upstate NY. Maybe he could swing by your way with his Spark.

G'luck-
K
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

or one of us local philly folks could bring it up to the poconos if it rains this weekend like its supposed to (but i wouldn't recommend creekin in a spark)
Joe
Dooleyoc-1
CBoats Addict

Post by Dooleyoc-1 »

They are both great boats. Here is the break down:

-The spark has a round hull and the ocoee has a flat bottom

-The spark is faster

-The ocoee is drier and a little more stable

-The spark is better at slalom racing

-The ocoee is slightly better for playboating and steep creeking

-Both are really great canoes. I have done slalom, freestyle, river running, big water and steep creeking both boats. Try them out and see which one you prefer.
Cheeks
CBoats Addict

Post by Cheeks »

Yes Kev, I did see that post, and it may or may not be why I am posting. Actually, I'm hoping to head down tomorrow or Saturday to check it out.

Thanks again for all the responses. I'm looking at snow outside now, hopefully it warms up a touch and we'll get a run out of something here.
Chris Loomis