Reoutfitting to Correct Improper Trim

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

fleckbass
CBoats Addict

Reoutfitting to Correct Improper Trim

Post by fleckbass »

I am looking to adjust the trim on my OC-1. I have paddled the boat for about 3 years. At times, it seems to work for me. Others, it feels like I'm fighting it. I think the boat is too stern heavy. I seem to have the most problems in shallow, technical water. There is less of a problem in deeper, heavier whitewater. I think if I adjust the trim further forward, I will be able to engage the chines much easier. I did some testing with a 2X4, balancing the boat. I found that it is difficult to get the bow forward. I tried the same thing with my other boat and didn't seem to have a problem. It looks like the difference may only be 1.5" I feel this will make a big difference on the water. The big problem is reoutfitting. Don't really want to take out everything, redrill thwart holes, replace the saddle, strap anchors, etc? Also, worried about hull damage from removing components and replacing (adhesive damage). I am considering putting some foam on the back rest of the saddle as a permanent solution. I just don't think the outfitting will ever feel right like this. Thoughts? :cry:
I went raftin' once. I think it was in Ohio.

http://www.easternpaddling.com
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

It would be easier to make suggestions if we knew what your outfitting looked like... Just sayin' :wink:

Shep
fleckbass
CBoats Addict

Post by fleckbass »

Mohawk with double strap.

ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

One of my boats has a Mohawk saddle with the single thigh strap. I also plan changes to move my weight forwars. I think that I can do some carving on the saddle and shift my weight forward by a couple of inches. I will have to extend the knee cups. I think the thigh strap will still serve even though it will cross higher on my thighs.

SO, although I haven't actually done a thing, I think you may be able to try a more forward shift without having to modify thwarts and D-rings. You might consider putting in a second D-ring without moving the first, in case you want to revert to the original configuration.

One caution--- When I outfitted my Millbrook Big Boy, photos taken by my wife suggested that the boat was bow high and that I needed to be more forward in the boat. So, I shifted the saddle (not yet glued in) a couple of inches. New photos suggested the boat was more level. But on the water, it didn't handle as well. I consulted the boat's designer about where his center thwart and saddle were located. He had his boat rigged a bit farther back. So, I shifted everything back again, and the boat behaved better. Turned out that, on close inspection, the boat was somewhat fishform (narrower in the stern), and moving the saddle forward reduced the tracking and spin-stopping functions of the stern.
watrwzrd
Pain Boater

Post by watrwzrd »

Just duct tape some foam on the back of the saddle and move stuff around till you find out what you really want it to do
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

the easiest way is to glue foam to saddle
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker
fleckbass
CBoats Addict

Post by fleckbass »

Well, according to the manufacture's specs, my saddle was placed 1.5” too far back. I've had a love/hate relationship with this boat since I got it. I put a 1.25" piece of foam on the back of the saddle and it's like a new boat! Way easier to paddle. More control of the chines and more glide. When I first got it, I posted that I was unhappy with the speed and it felt like there was too much drag. This was why. Wish I would've came to this conclusion earlier. Why would the boat be built to be "dumbed down"? :-?

Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

fleckbass wrote:Well, according to the manufacture's specs, my saddle was placed 1.5” too far back. Why would the boat be built to be "dumbed down"? :-?
I KNOW! That's so uncool. I heard that about the Vipers and frankly couldn't beleive it. Why did people buy Vipers? Because it was a hot boat. Thanks a lot Mohawk. :evil:
Rant over.

I recently moved the saddle in my c1 forward an inch and also couldn't believe the difference!
Larry
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

So Larry, you are paddling a large Burn, right? What is your current seat set back from the back of the cock pit rim to the front of your back rest?
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

Nah, my burn has entered the afterlife. i'm paddling an h3-255 hull that has been "on vacation " in my yard for years.
..GREAT boat!

I had the burn (and this h3) set up at ~8".. I just moved it to ~9".
It's hard to measure because my seat back is sloped, but that's an average.
Larry