No good deed goes unpunished

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

ohioboater
CBoats Addict

No good deed goes unpunished

Post by ohioboater »

Demoed a L'Edge on the Nanty last week, and, being the good open boat ambassador that I am, I let one of the kayakers from our group paddle my personal boat. Never again. The dumbass decided to punch the Bump and smashed the stern of my boat.

Mr.DeadLegs
CBoats Addict

Post by Mr.DeadLegs »

hahahahaha seen that before. The bump is good at denting sterns. were you able to push it out?
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways totally worn out, shouting "Holy large steaming pile of dog doo what a Ride" " Nolan Whitesell
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

That sucks. Glad to hear the Nanty has a demo L'Edge back in their fleet...
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

That almost looks like the side dimples they put on Zooms. How does it affect surfing? Does it make it looser? :lol:
ohioboater
CBoats Addict

Post by ohioboater »

Mr.DeadLegs wrote:The bump is good at denting sterns. were you able to push it out?
Yeah, the bump is a pretty notorious boat breaker. That's why I figured the guy would know not to take a 13 foot boat through it. Silly me, thinking that.

Haven't punched it back out yet. Going to take some gentle heat, probably. Pics don't show it very well, but it's also cracked almost a foot on each side of the dent.
Bill M
C Guru

Post by Bill M »

So, If you bought the Ledge the big dent becomes less of an issue????
An interior patch will give you back the structural integrity then seal the cracks with something like aqua seal.
I would think the borrower would feel some responcibility for fixing. None of which matters in the short term.
Bill
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

NOC was using Wayners boat as a demo

Post by Wendy »

They told me they weren't getting more boats till March, but Wayner's boat is being used as a demo
sdbrassfield
Supporting Paddler

Post by sdbrassfield »

hahahaha...what goes around comes around...there is a god...You were the one who told me to run cucumber straight down the middle, over the pourover hole when the gauge was just above at 5' a few years ago...Smacked the stern of my prophet and put a crack in it...I don't feel sorry for you...Glad you feel some of that pain... hahaha :lol:
SYOTR
johnd
C Guru

Post by johnd »

Hey, can I borrow your boat. After you get it fixed, I mean.
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

I had a dent like that in one canoe. To fix it, I punched it out and glued a sheet of ABS (1/32 inch) on the inside with g/flex and a lot of weight to make it conform to the hull. Then I put a Rec Repair skid plate on the outside. The boat is very tough now.

How did you like the L'edge?
ohioboater
CBoats Addict

say what?

Post by ohioboater »

sdbrassfield wrote:hahahaha...what goes around comes around...there is a god...You were the one who told me to run cucumber straight down the middle, over the pourover hole when the gauge was just above at 5' a few years ago...Smacked the stern of my prophet and put a crack in it...I don't feel sorry for you...Glad you feel some of that pain... hahaha :lol:
I don't know who you are, and I have never paddled the Yough with anyone from this board other than Joe, Tony and PAC. Definitely haven't done a high water run with anyone from here, and I certainly wouldn't tell a newbie to run the hole in Cucumber at 5'. So go yap up someone else's tree.
sdbrassfield
Supporting Paddler

Post by sdbrassfield »

April 27, 2007 - Armada, mohawk canoe...
SYOTR
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Hummmm...
April 27, 2007 - Armada, mohawk canoe...
I know I was there but I can't remember anyone smacking a rock at cumcumber?!?!?!?! I do remember a few "moments" at rail road however! Along with a boat case race!!!
Sure it was Cucumber? Not sure there is a rock in there to hit at the table pour over at 5'...
As for Railroad, I pretty much remember saying that folks could figure it out after I noted where the 3 "larger" holes where...
Folks were doing really well up to that point and I was getting some feedback as to "why did we run it there..." and "what about that line..." and "that looks some much better over there..".
I still think everyone did really well!
If I remember we had couple newer boaters along with us that day that really stepped it up...they deserved kudos.
Bummer on boats taking dings but it is true ...
what goes around comes around..

and the gods of hydro have certainly revisited me often enough! :lol: ....And I'm sure they will do so again in the near future! :o
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

It already has massive hole in the top...
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Me thinks there is some mistaken identity going on, not helped by the semi-anonymity of internet forum handles... I'm pretty sure I was at the 2007 Armada (it's been a while) and I'm pretty sure I didn't meet "Ohio Boater" until this past one?