skid plate/patch resin

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

tokebelokee
C Guru

skid plate/patch resin

Post by tokebelokee »

Can I obtain appropriate resin for use with Kevlar weave onto Royalex at a regular retail store (auto parts, for instance)? Recent damage to the old Outrage-ous has gone beyond the capacity of PlasticWelder from the hardware store. If so, will it set up in cold temperatures?
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

westmarine or another shore that supports the power boat crowd should have west system epoxy. Or order from one of the find sponsors of this site... Sweet Composites would have everything you need and are cool to work with!
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
OC1er
CBoats Addict

Post by OC1er »

All I know is that the glue you get in the Old Town skid plate kit smells like a 6 day dead cat and still smells that way months after application. West is like perfume compared to that stuff...
Its not about the approach. Its about control in the hole.
VAnate
C Boater

Post by VAnate »

Hey man, off topic but, I passed you running shuttle at Goshen the other day and do you always wear that beaver thing on your head?
tokebelokee
C Guru

Post by tokebelokee »

Last year, I told all my associates that I would dress as a fur trapper for Gauley Fest this year. I figured it would be fun for Pillow antics and the race, and people seemed to get a kick out of it so I kept it on there. Don't worry, it's $4.00 worth of fake fur I got Jo-Ann Fabrics in Christiansburg. As far as I can tell, people usually don't realize there is still a helmet underneath.
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

G-flex might be even better than regular West 105/205, if it will soak through the Kevlar felt. Sometimes skid plates are too stiff, and crack. G-flex could prevent that.

I have heard that some skid plate kits have switched to urethane resin. Maybe that's why the Old Town resin smells so bad.
greybear
C Guru

resin

Post by greybear »

I agree, gflex would be the key. I would put some gflex on the area where you want the skid plate then the plate. Then use a small paint rollorover the plate to get the gflex in the material then some little gflex over the plate and use the rollor one more time.
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

Heat the Gflex up a little before mixing and application to allow it to wet out better.
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

Yeah, heating will help with G-flex, while it's tricky to heat 105/205 without getting into trouble. :evil:
mahyongg
C Guru

Post by mahyongg »

gflex and 105/205 also mix - so to get thinner with some characteristics with both, mix both 105/205 and gflex first and *then* together - characteristics are about related to the amounts in the mix..