worlds freestyle 2011 anyone coming from the us?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Lennart
Pain Boater

worlds freestyle 2011 anyone coming from the us?

Post by Lennart »

In June, the worlds is in plattling germany, IS anybody going?
More important does someone want to paddle some rivers before or after.

I think that would be nice.

Or is it only dane that is coming?
Propper Writing in English, how do you do that, with dyslexia, bad hand eye coordination, ect. and in a foreign language
sorry fore all the mistakes.
bushpaddler
C Guru

Post by bushpaddler »

...I heard about Eli visiting Europe...
http://www.bushpaddler.de/bilderundtouren.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

I willgo, not from the US, but Canada. Most likely for not much longer than the comp though.

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
RodeoClown
BlackFly Canoes

Post by RodeoClown »

For OC-1, it'll be Dane, Eli and myself, for C-1, it'll be Dane, Jordan Poffenberger and Seth Chapelle.

I'm planning on coming over a week before the competition. I'm also hoping we'll have enough OC-1 boaters to make a class again, this time without having to talk people into it at the last minute.
Jeremy Laucks
Owner, Blackfly Canoes
http://www.blackflycanoes.com
Eli
The Canoe Guru - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by Eli »

I'm looking forward to it. Plattling is a great wave.
I will be joining forces with Rafftaff to offer an instructional course at Huningue, May 28th and 29th.
I am also planning to offer a course through La Ola on the Salza in Austria from June 30th to July 3rd.
Contact info@TheCanoeGuru.com for more details.
8)
Last edited by Eli on Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When in Doubt...Paddle Forward!
www.thecanoeguru.com
Lennart
Pain Boater

Post by Lennart »

all righty,
That sounds good.
@Eli I will send some mail.

@jeremy,
what are the problems with the class, are there not enough people for the competition?
Or do they have to be at some level.
I think if the level is a problem there is not much I can do. No Dutch paddler that I know of that can do any freestyle, appart from flatspin. At least in an OC1, And I do not see anyone wanting to progress in this class.

I will have a chad with my buddy Jasper. He will not compete, but knows much about the worlds and the politics around it. Both on Dutch and world level.
Propper Writing in English, how do you do that, with dyslexia, bad hand eye coordination, ect. and in a foreign language
wetnobby

Post by wetnobby »

I think you can relax about having enough folks to make a class. The numbers should be OK.... I stuffed up in selections here (UK) so only made reserve spot...(Only two places per country allowed+Reserve)
Jeremy rang the bell last time out, the reigning champ is not counted in the two allocated places so the USA gets to send 3 this time round.
Good interest in OC1 in Germany and they should again field a strong team with Stephan, Tobi & Philip being the main contenders for team slots..
Jan & the Czech guys are also hoping to compete..
The Spanish are coming on in C1 paddling in leaps and bounds...and they are into OC1 too so expect a very strong showing from them also...
& not heard about Vincent's plans yet :D ...but expect a Canadian presence..
So from where I am sitting its building up to be a stunning showcase event for OC1, Superb feature for OC Freestyle it should see some big numbers posted on the scoreboard,,,Just cheesed i dont get to play this time...
However James Weir is giving it a miss this time too....so there will be company in the beer & cheer tent.. :D
So...I dont think there is anything to worry about! and confident it will go as planned and be a great OC1 showcase...!!
Eli
The Canoe Guru - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by Eli »

The last I knew, the Canadians were not sending any competitors...pretty sad since the sport is known around the world as "Canadian Canoeing".
I hope I am misinformed...
When in Doubt...Paddle Forward!
www.thecanoeguru.com
Lennart
Pain Boater

Post by Lennart »

@wetnobby,
6 months is a long time.
to bad you f...d up selection.

james should be on the swiss team...
or something like that.

Perhaps some Dutch kayaker will change in OC. There are a number of good freestylers who cannot compete if only 2 can compete.

If I can combine paddling the alps with looking at plattling I will. If not no problem.
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Eli, as far as I know nobody competed in OC1 at the Canadian Team trials. Not too surprisingsince the team trials were out west. According to the info I have from the Canadian Freestyle Comitee there there are only C1'ers on the team. Bryce Shaw, Keegan Grady and Francois Bergeron-Proulx in freestyle and I am in squirt.

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
Yukon
Yukan Canoe

Post by Yukon »

It is sad there are NO Canadians at this point. There are a lot of good boaters out West so dont think that is the reason no one competed. Must be deeper than that? I had heard that OC was out of the worlds so maybe that was just a rumour in Canada. Our maybe most thought there was going to be some hot boaters there and did go. Or the venture including going to the Worlds just cost too much.

I know I have a spot to attend the world dog sled and skijor championships in Norway, but at my own expense or Icould find sponsors. I am not going 1 it is 4-5 grand to go and 2) I hve no business being there in terms of competition.

I wonder if we can get a Canadian or 2 onto the roster?

Eli is headed to the Yukon right after the Worlds and I hope he is coming here as Champion that would be too cool. I am already telling potential students he is one on the best in the world....
bob mckee
C Boater

Post by bob mckee »

I'll be there. Looking forward to it.

I'll be up for some OC1 paddling probably both before and afterwards.

Will be cool to see some old friends and make some new ones.
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Lots of good paddlers out in Western Canada. But not many of them seem to be into OC1 freestyle. I am pretty sure there are no more than a handfull OC1 freestyle boats west of Ontario. Virtually all of the Canadian freestyle OC1-ers seem to be either from Ontario or Quebec. Not sure how you would get guys onto the team now that the team selection process is over.

TGG!
RodeoClown
BlackFly Canoes

Post by RodeoClown »

We need 6 countries represented to have an official class. In 2009 the Canadian competitor(s) dropped out, and we had to talk them into re-registering. Hopefully it won't be an issue this time around, but it would be nice to have some Canucks, too.
Jeremy Laucks
Owner, Blackfly Canoes
http://www.blackflycanoes.com
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

the problem with the Canadian team this year is not one of dropping out, its one of no one having registered in the first place. Don't know if there is a late registration of sorts, but without trials, that would probably not fly.

TGG!