t-grip removal

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

dgmonster
Pain Boater

t-grip removal

Post by dgmonster »

Any one know the best way to remove the T-grip from a Lightning paddle?
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

I have a lightning.. haven't ever taken out the t-grip but I'm looking at it now.
Plastic t-grip with a small pin through the shaft.
I would think- use a small punch to knock out the brass pin. and then use a heat gun to warm the epoxy while you twist and pull.
should come out that way.
Larry
mahyongg
C Guru

Post by mahyongg »

Just be careful and very gentle with that heat gun.. be patient.. do not heat over 90 degrees for a start.. epoxy might disintegrate with more heat. usually enough to get it out - otherwise, before ruining your shaft, cut it off and get a shop to router the rest out. or drill it yourself, usually more work and less precise.

Funny, but most of the time for me, just wriggling and pulling got my handles out (sans pin o/c)

;D

good luck
dgmonster
Pain Boater

Post by dgmonster »

yeah i took the pin out and tried sticking the end of the paddle in a hot oven for a min or two but could not get a nice even temp increase on the t-grip. I'll try a heat gun in the next few weeks when I get to it. Thanks
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Pot of hot water?? That might work
Jim Michaud
CBoats Addict

Post by Jim Michaud »

Sticking the handle in boiling water should do the trick if the T-grip is held in place with glue. I tried to remove the T-grip from my Mitchell using boiling water but it didn't work because it was held in place with epoxy. I ended up cutting the shaft close to the handle then chipping the epoxy with a very small chisel.
dgmonster
Pain Boater

Post by dgmonster »

yup boiling water worked! But the hot water turned my t-grip from black to gray. I think I like the gray T-grip better tho.