CKS Paddlefest, May 2011 (in CO)

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Smurfwarrior
C Maven

CKS Paddlefest, May 2011 (in CO)

Post by Smurfwarrior »

http://ckspaddlefest.com/
A group of us from Utah will be renting a cabin right next to the play wave during this years CKS Paddlefest, any of you CO open boaters going to attend?
Aric
Pain Boater

Post by Aric »

there is a good chance we will be down on the ark that weekend, though we'll probably be downstream, more like the Salida area. I'll have to talk to you closer to that time, it would be great to paddle with you. there are rumors of a sink spot just above the BV park. I'll see if i can find more details.

Aric
RodeoClown
BlackFly Canoes

Post by RodeoClown »

The "downtown" hole in BV will give up short but easy dunks.
Jeremy Laucks
Owner, Blackfly Canoes
http://www.blackflycanoes.com
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Cool, I'll bring the squirt too. Is Blackfly or any other canoe manufacturer showing up to demo boats?
RodeoClown
BlackFly Canoes

Post by RodeoClown »

I doubt it (at least not officially), since I don't think CKS is a dealer for any canoe manufacturers, and it's their event. At this point I'm not sure if I'll be there or not, or if I'll have any open boats with me if I do.
Jeremy Laucks
Owner, Blackfly Canoes
http://www.blackflycanoes.com
lagow8
Pain Boater

Post by lagow8 »

I might be there. I would love to paddle with some other c-boaters. I will let you know when the time gets closer.
agrestal
C Guru

Post by agrestal »

lagow8 wrote:I might be there. I would love to paddle with some other c-boaters. I will let you know when the time gets closer.
ditto :-)
canoera hasta la muerte
www.CostaRicaRios.com
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Awesome! :)
cadster
CBoats Addict

Post by cadster »

I have been to Paddlefest in the past. For the last few years the flow has been around 2000 CFS at the end of May. Only a couple of Colorado boaters will run the Numbers in an OC-1 at that level. I’ve open boated Browns above 2000 and had fun.

The Front Range cboaters are paddling their creeks that time of year and won’t do the drive to the Ark. I’m in southern CO and boat in the San Juan Mtn’s and NM in May. There also has been several CO cboaters changing to kayak conversions this year

How many nights were you going to be in BV? Will you be staying on the Ark the whole time?
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Looks like we will get in on Friday and leave Monday. We're not locked in to hanging local in BV, and would be interested in getting on some fun stuff.
cadster
CBoats Addict

Post by cadster »

For reference, Sammer E posted this a few years ago on mtnbuzz:
What will be the best class IV runs around Memorial Day?

Hey Dooley,
Sammer here. Now you'll get feedback from a canoer. I think I somewhat know your paddling ability, and what will interest you in the class 4 to 4+ range, and what does and doesn't go for open boating. Keep in mind though, that i am assuming that what would interest and be fun to me, would be the same to you. I might be wrong though. Also, I am accustomed to pushy, continous, volumous colorado water. So, even though it is just class 4, I am not sure how you would feel about some of the upper level flows I have recommended. I still plan on seeing you in yur parts around the 13th!
Thoughts:

Slaughterhouse on the Roaring Fork (Aspen)is one of the best class 4 to 4+ runs in the state. Highly recommended. However it will be the farthest drive of all mentioned here. Go for 500 cfs and up to 2000 cfs.

Gore Creek, another great option, the lower section, through Dowd Chute (remember this is the run we did together at a low flow), go for 450 to 800 cfs max for OC. Watch out for pipes!

Waterton Canyon might be fun at any level, but I would personally give it alot of water to make it really interesting, 700 cfs and up. Be prepared to hike or wheel your boat back up a mile or so at the end.

Clear Creek, is okay class 4-. Lower or Upper sections. Give those a lot of water also to make it interesting.

Barrel Springs on the Colorado, is fun. This however is more in the class 5- range. It can be continous and become combat canoeing if you miss your eddies. At lower flows that shouldnt be a problem. Go for 500 cfs to 800 cfs max. Be careful of flows higher than this for OC, especially for you east coasters. To get the flow for Barrel, subtract 1200 cfs from whatever is reading on the Shoshone gauge.

The Numbers on the Arkansas, which I am sure you have done, is a straight up class 4 at most levels. However, again, to make it really fun, I would give it high flows, like 1000 cfs and up to 3000. However, it will get pushy and huge holey at those higher flows.

The Upper Blue, I dont think you would find interesting.

10 Mile Creek, the upper section (class 5) is really ugly, boat abusive, rolling is not much of an option, super continous, almost void of reasonable eddies, and not very fun. I dont recommend it. However, the middle and lower is okay.
And, I dont know much on the front range.
If you want to paddle with other OC1ers who can hang with you on class 4, contact: Bob Cook (bob-cook@comcast.net) and Justin Gilbert (justin.gilbert@comcast.net), they would be very happy to paddle with you, and I have already told them about you.

Let me know if you have questions bud!
Sammer
Again, I boat further south than most CO cboaters and would add my favorite run at the end of May is the Piedra, but I've only kayaked it.
AJ
CBoats Addict

Post by AJ »

Most every river and creek comes alive in Colorado in late May, depending on the river basin's snow pack, altitude, and weather. A river might be just coming in or more then likely on the high side by then depending on the variables.

Just like other rivers, the flows make a big difference on what we choose to paddle that time of year. Higher flows on Sammer's noted rivers make them very continuous and pushy, which is fun to some (Sammer and Justin) and gripping to others.

Many of our team, the Boulder County Crew and Front Range C boaters, aren't really playboaters, typically avoid this kayak scene and save the Ark for later in the year, especially if our Front Range rivers and creek options (NSV, Boulder Creek, Big Tompson, Poudre, Clear Creek, Foxton, etc.) are going.

If our local stuff is not going (not likely), we might be over there and would be glad to paddle with you, but we would probably avoid the kayak scene for the most part.

As Cadster suggested, if the water is high, you have options like Browns Canyon, Fractions/Frog Rock, BV Town, and Parkdale on the Ark. Another semi close option, is the Upper Taylor river, one of my favorites.

You can also look at a lot of the Numbers to see how you feel about it at high water. If you like the numbers at high water, you might also like the Royal Gorge at high water?

AJ