Lithium Ion Batteries for Pumps

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

fleckbass
CBoats Addict

Lithium Ion Batteries for Pumps

Post by fleckbass »

Anyone use Lithium Ion batteries for bilge pumps? I've heard that they are not good for cold environments.
I went raftin' once. I think it was in Ohio.

http://www.easternpaddling.com
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

I use 11.1v 2200Mah 25c Lipo's on RC gliders and they suck in the cold, although they are very light compared to what I am using (SLA)
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

I am using a 14.8v Li-Ion pack (4400 mAh) with no cold weather issues. You must keep them dry though...
fleckbass
CBoats Addict

Post by fleckbass »

Light yes. That's why i'm asking and I can get them free. RC gliders?
What sucks about them, current draw?
I went raftin' once. I think it was in Ohio.

http://www.easternpaddling.com
Eric Nyre
C Guru

Post by Eric Nyre »

I'm using some 14.7V 5600mAh Li Ion batteries.

LiPO sucks in the cold, they'll totally lose charge. LiION are good to go. Technically both are Lithium, but they're chemically and functionally different. LiPO is smaller/ lighter, but the lose charge in the cold aspect makes them unsuitable for most paddlers. LiION is larger/ heavier, most cell phone/ camera batteries are LiION.

The main problem with the batteries is you have to regulate drain. Unlike NiMH or Lead Acid, you can't just surge to 10 Amps without problem. The LiION I use are built with a regulator that's kinda like a fuse, if the drain is too quick it just shuts off the battery. Keeps it from blowing up.

If you know the total drain of your pumps and can keep it near half the regulated drain of LiION, you'll be problem free. If you don't map it out, you'll run into problems.

NiMH is slightly heavier but doesn't have the personality quirks. I'll probably go back to that for my next round of pumps.
craig
CBoats Addict

Post by craig »

I have not had any problems with mine, either in cold water or air temps down to the mid 20*s F
dafriend
C Guru

Post by dafriend »

For the cost and the operational issues I don't think Lithium is worth the weight difference. It's pretty easy to find a 4500mAh NiMH pack that will fit easily into a dry box and weigh in at less than a pound and one-half. Throw in a charger and you're still spending less than $100. Possible to spend more if you want.

Check out batteryspace.com

The have nice waterproof switches and connectors too.

Dave
rnbeals
C Boater

Post by rnbeals »

I've been happy with my batteryspace NiMH - but I don't have much experience with temperatures below 50F.

5Ah in a water bottle, comes with water-proof connectors. Running 13.2 Volts with my Tsunami 1200. It has a 7amp polyswitch that came in handy when some paracord got sucked up into the pump and locked it up. After about a 5 minute cool down, it reset. Weighs 2 1/2 lbs.

http://tinyurl.com/3acywne

I'm a fan of the simplicity.

Also use this water-proof switch that they sell for $10 including water-proof connectors:

http://tinyurl.com/2v4sywt

Rich
Carpe Canoe
Marc Evans
C Guru

Post by Marc Evans »

I am going to echo rnbeals and dafriend. I put together a system with 12 NiMh AA cells (14.4 volts, 2700mh from batteryspace) - Atwood V1250 system. Two sets of batteries (24) and a charger cost me about $45 delivered. I've had the system for the past two and a half years and still have the original batteries. I went 100 miles (7 days) down the Main Salmon (ID) year before last and didn't have to change out the batteries. Last year I used it on the Middlefork of the Salmon (only 4 days and 50 miles as I had to take over oaring duty. I don't worry about filling up the boat, I run and play in anything I want and don't worry about the consequences. Also, I use the system for play days in cold weather (think ice on the shore) and have had no problems.

I had one of the waterproof switches that rnbeals referred to, but it went bad after a year and so I wired a switch directly to my battery pack and waterproofed it with a rubber boot and aquaseal.

I understand that the newer Tsunami pumps have a higher draw than the V1250 and my battery system may not have sufficient current, but I'm not going to worry about it until I have to change out the pump. However, it is something to consider.

Marc