Hemlock Canoes / Dave Curtis

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

adamin
CBoats.net Staff

Hemlock Canoes / Dave Curtis

Post by adamin »

Does anyone know what is up with Hemlock Canoes? The site is gone, and I can only find old info on them. I've added some info to the site of past boats they built, designed by Harold Deal, and was hoping to find a few images (SRT, Crossfire, Dragonfly).
Cheeks
CBoats Addict

Post by Cheeks »

I'll put a call into Dave this weekend. There had been rumors of him retiring. The good news is, Charlie Wilson has some/all of the original Curtis molds, which imho were slightly better than the hemlock boats.
Chris Loomis
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Dang it, until recently a local shop had a brand new Curtis Dragonfly that has since been shipped to Missouri. Unfortunately I was wrong in my assessment that they would never sell it at their asking price and that I'd eventually get it for a song :lol: It only sat on that upstairs rack for about 20 years... Alas, no pictures... I might be able to track down the new owner to get pictures and a copy of the information sheet.
TommyC1
C Guru

Post by TommyC1 »

I don't know the status on Hemlock but my understanding is that Colden Canoe will be building some of the old Curtis models. The DragonFly first I think.
http://coldencanoe.com/
Cheeks
CBoats Addict

Post by Cheeks »

That's accurate, as far as I've been told in conversations with them. They have all the Curtis molds, not the Hemlock ones. Companion may follow the Dragonfly. Either way it's great to see some of the best boats ever made back out there. I was getting tired of hunting Craigslist for them.
Chris Loomis
snowgoose

Up and running and going strong....

Post by snowgoose »

Dave Curtis seemed to be in fine spirits when we talked on the phone last week: nothing whatsoever was said to suggest anything other than business as usual!

The Hemlock website was only down briefly... and that was apparently just because of an oversight: it's been sorted and the site is back online.

See http://www.hemlockcanoe.com/
clarion
C Guru

Post by clarion »

Good to hear!

I opened this post with some dread thinking perhaps Dave did decide to pack it in. Glad he's still building excellent boats, and doing first class repairs too. Hopefully I'll stay out of his shop for those though, at least for a while :lol:
It AIN'T bent.