2011 FullGnarlz Green Narrows Race

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

2011 FullGnarlz Green Narrows Race

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

FullGnarlz is just another way of saying the OC-1 category...cuz anything less than open boating the green...is just not FULLGnarlz. It's like 98% gnarlz or something.

Mission: Thunderdome

alright guys...so here's the deal. We need to get 5-10 Openboaters at the Green Race this year - something that has never been done... And frankly 10 would be better. So if you are anywhere near that type of skill level... I ask you...Will you help the cause, and be apart of the biggest showing of open-canoes the Green Race as ever seen. Do it for yourself, your openboat brothas, ur future openboat brothas that are getting into the sport, and lastly but not least... Do it for our long lost skirt wearing brothas....Time to show the world what the Openboating world is up to....aka runnin the sht.

I'm going to work on getting a "FullGnarlz" trophy made, which will be passed from champion to champion as the years go on. I'd like the trophy to be wood carved to look like an OpenBoat going over Gorilla or somethign like that. Everyone that races, gets to etch their initials on the trophy...but only the winner keeps the trophy for the year...u'd have to ask him if you want to touch it. Boating's version of the Stanley Cup. The ultimate victory.
http://www.gnarlzoutdoors.com
Silverbirch Canoes - North American Distributor
Email: tom@gnarlzoutdoors.com
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

Eli Helbert, Dooley Tombras, Matt Devoe., Louie, Shawn, Furtrappin Phil, Richard Guin, Alex Vargas, Scott Curtis, Mark Z, Wes Gentry, Phil Foti, Jim Michaud(if u can fit that caption down it), Will Lyons, Mark Scriver, Paul Mason, Oliver Chatigny, Phillepe, Chad Lewis, Martin Talbot, Ben Trister, Jared the CanoeNinja, Craig Smerda, James Weir, Jim Coffey and Myself... Lengthy is another good canidate if he is willing to risk a little to help further the sport. I know the skill is there.

We need to get like 30+ canidates...that way we'll have at least 5 people racing come race day...

If I'm forgetting people that thing they belong on the list of "potential Green Racing OC-1ers"...then by all means post ur name... just make an honest effort to actually run the race if ur gonna do that (not sayin that all the people above r going to make an 'honest effort' at racing, but it would be nice if they did ;) )
Last edited by FullGnarlzOC on Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

I really think the Green Race is the pinnicle of extreme sport racing. Not only is the Green Narrows a complete and utter badass hair run, but envision a 1000 people along the banks, as you drop into Pencil Sharper...you pull into the eddy to dump your boat, and cant help but look up at the huge mass of people...heart beating like it never has before in your life...as you are just about to run the notch...a simple drop in itself, if it were by itself...but its not. It's the move before the most notorious in steep creeking. The pressure is on... the question is...

Can....You.... Handle... It....
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

To fully become "all that is man" you have to either

a) Kill a Tiger with your bare hands...

or

b) Run the Green Race in a Canoe.

Dooley can probably do both.
horizongfx
CBoats Addict

Tiger

Post by horizongfx »

I think I'll Start Tiger Wraslin lessons today ! :wink:
For me; boating brings me closer to to something divine, and in a open canoe I'm 8 Inches closer.
...........O
......(___|/____)
............/.............
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

lol...if you can jump on its back and get ur arm around its neck, u can probably put him in a sleeper hold
Dooleyoc-1
CBoats Addict

Post by Dooleyoc-1 »

I could be talked into wrestling a monkey in NC this November...

It would be really cool to see 5 canoes out there racing. It could happen. I just hope we have some really good safety below Gorilla...!
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

I'm certainly only a spectator for the Green Narrows, but In the LVM issue #11, winter '04, "Freedom Fries for Everyone"; Tommy Helleke (six times winner of the Green race) recommends 50-100 trips down the narrows before you try to race it. Just sayin'
tokebelokee
C Guru

Post by tokebelokee »

Cheajack-

That's an interesting point. My Gauley race run this year was my 5th time down the river. I knew I was good for the lines, and figured it would be just like any other run, just faster. Let me tell you now, entering challenging rapids tired is a whole new ballgame. The run went well, but I think I actually sighed audibly once I got through Iron Ring and was content to run an ugly, sloppy Sweets line. The race run actually changed my whole take on the river for the rest of Gauley season-I ran it every weekend at least once, but I was never quite as relaxed as I was before I knew what it was like to run it fatigued and hurrying. Things get a little spooky when you're breathing hard with a boat full of water and still need to hold onto a line. And that's the wide-open Gauley...As I tend to get sloppier when tired, I hate to think what that would lead to on a Green-type run. It's an intimidating thought.
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

Not trying to jack the thread here but Helleke also stressed getting in shape for the race as well. Part of his training was doing sets of five minute attainment loops somewhere on the FB.
VAnate
C Boater

Post by VAnate »

And I thought I became a man when my parents went on vacation and my girlfriend spent the night in high school... now I have to fight a tiger!
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

Tommy I am in I will race the green this year
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker
RodeoClown
BlackFly Canoes

Post by RodeoClown »

I'll say I'm no where near ready to committing to the Green Race this year. Not saying I won't do it, but I'm not ready to commit to it yet. I raced a few years ago in K-1, and have to say it's really not something to be taken lightly. Trying to go fast is a game changer. If you want to do it, I'd try to get some experience running some other races, and spend a good bit if time memorizing the all the moves- even the class II stuff.
Jeremy Laucks
Owner, Blackfly Canoes
http://www.blackflycanoes.com
funkidreadz
C Guru

Post by funkidreadz »

Hey cool that my name has made it into the the first FullGnarlzOC short list! I am keen to fly over and get down on the Green, just have to check it happens, Green then Mexico sounds kinda doable.

If I come over to the Green will any of you come over to Europe and race me down the Straight down Striit or the Adidas sickline worlds?

Big up ya Tommy great plan if I can I will be there

paddle safe and see ya on the Green
James
Dooleyoc-1
CBoats Addict

Post by Dooleyoc-1 »

I agree with the advice of getting 50-100 runs before racing. This goes along with Jeremy's advice that racing the green is a lot different that running the green. I ran the green for the first time in 2001 with Psycho and I definitely wasn't even close to being ready to race then.

Now I have around 50 career runs down green and I'm just starting to feel like I'm up for the race. Hopefully if all goes well I can start getting over to the green more often in 2011 and bag another 10-20 runs to get ready.

I'll also add that if someone moved to Asheville they can get 50-100 runs on the green in one year no problem. It runs 300 days a year. The only reason I don't get over there more often is that I live 2.5 hours away so I only go over there when nothing else is running closer to home.

PS- James, you're so good you don't need 50 runs. You just need to fly over and practice 3 or 4 days before the race and then fire it up!