2011 FullGnarlz Green Narrows Race

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

bcmcmillan
C Boater

Post by bcmcmillan »

Don't Forget about Zach Dean, he race 4 years ago. I've wanted to race and open boat the last two years but just havent had a boat to race (maybe a little scared too). Count me in this year!
Brad McMillan
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Western Canoeing has a L'Edge here for demo, I'm sure the rep (Nikki) would help you out. Having an open boat in the race would be good marketting for canoeing & Esquif.

You're biggest problem here won't be the boat - how are you going to find an OC teammate out here!?

That I know of, there's no list of 5 or 10 (or any) open-boaters who would contemplate that race, or even that run.

P.
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

Good to hear brad. Sounds like we are starting to get some racers. We should make sure Zac has a boat to use come race day.

I'd like to have a OC1 gathering on the Green this summer for a few days. That way people can watch other OC1ers run lines, ect. People that are on the fence can get some practice in and so forth

20 OC1 on the Gauley during G-Fest was nice. 20 OC1 on Ocoee was nice.....

20 Oc1 on the green for the better part of a week... That will send a msg in itself.
http://www.gnarlzoutdoors.com
Silverbirch Canoes - North American Distributor
Email: tom@gnarlzoutdoors.com
TNbound
CBoats Addict

Post by TNbound »

An OC1 camp-out week on the green would definitely be something cool. Would definitely send a message about OC and spread the word, especially if enough people got together. 20+ Open boaters there for a week would be quite a statement. Hopefully I get to that comfort level soon and can show some people what canoes are capable of; be it on the Green or elsewhere!
-Anthony

"I'm gonna run this one river left I think.... So far river left, that I'm gonna be on the bank. With my boat on my shoulder."
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Looks like in "the game of Gnar" you get +2000 BONUS points for paddling the Green Narrows in a canoe. Check it out.

http://whitewatergnar.blogspot.com/
scott curtis
C Guru

Post by scott curtis »

speaking of all this, I could use some paddling associates. Matt Devoe.. i couldn't find on FB.. i hear he paddles the green. Furtrapper I understand runs some crazy stuff, dont know his real name? Scott
boatbuster
CBoats Addict

Know of what you speak?

Post by boatbuster »

It's a novel idea but have you raced the Narrows? Eli is one of the best paddlers the world has ever known and he had a wreck at Gorilla the year before last. Wes, the other open boater, finished the race but it took him a long time. There are certainly open boaters out there who have what it takes but they would need to live in this area and run it a lot, like Dooley says, to do it well. If someone like Rodeo Clown says honestly he is not ready, that should tell you something.

BTW, Jim Michaud does not paddle at Caption. He paddles an Outrage and he has paddled it down the Gnarrrs.
gumpy
C Maven

Re: Know of what you speak?

Post by gumpy »

boatbuster wrote:
BTW, Jim Michaud does not paddle at Caption.
:roll: you sure about that?
Joe
Creeker
CBoats Addict

Post by Creeker »

@boatbuster, be a little supportive of a brother canoer (think positive). The race is 10 months away. Mountains can be climbed. It might even take a few years to get there, but Scott is only looking for other good paddlers stating a goal so he might end up with similar minded folks. Sounds smart to me.

@Scott
I'd be very happy to help you down the green narrows very slowly your first time and provide safety from my boat or shore depending on what you want protected how. If we set a date i'm sure others would jump in on that action for a good safe group size.

You're entering the domain of doubters for sure Scott so lean on your best judgement as it's gotten you this far so well. Those that believe they can usually can or they positively adapt their plans for what's thrown at them.....making it work.....if you will.

I have a sneaky suspisson that it won't be long before I'm doing a Green Lite run with Tommy and possibly another OC boater. Maybe even in March. We'll see how it goes with weather and all. For anyone not in the know, a Green Lite involves walking 5 features (chief, pencil sharpener, notch, flume, sunshine). First time canoeist might add another 5 very easily and that would still be a very rewarding 1st day.

The offer is open to any skilled cboater to join in. I'm more than happy to help get on the green. If its more than to your liking you can carry back upstream at Frankenstein or carry out around gorilla on a steep but good trail system. Only a 90 minute boat assisted hike risked. I'm even willing to carry an end for you as well. No big deal, just another day of adventure trying to make it work.

So now someone local hook up with Scott to start running the Warm Up stuff for Solid Green LAPS 8)
tokebelokee
C Guru

Post by tokebelokee »

Contact for "Furtrapper Phil" Prince a.k.a Tokebelokee can be obtained through Mike "Louie" Lewis. I trust Louie to exercise discretion in deciding with whom my phone number is to be shared.
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Creeker- great offer of help. Way to step up.
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

tokebelokee wrote: I trust Louie to exercise discretion.
:roll: you sure about that?
Joe