Maybe I missed something....

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

SUPing didn't get to where its at, as quick as it did, by grassroots efforts. It took advertisements in magazines read by the masses, paid links on paddle sites and some business savy. You might convert a few here and there but it won't help the industry as a whole. Just sayin....
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

Smurf

The big diff between SUP and OC is they are selling sup boards to half of the yuppie women for paddle board yoga. True they are out of the box but how many people have SUp'ed for more than a a trip or two That is kinda like saying victoria secerts sells alot of panties lets use their marketing plans to sale boats
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker
Yukon
Yukan Canoe

Post by Yukon »

SUP is a new thing and you can paddle them in so many places. I have not done yet but have ordered an Inflatable Stand up board to see what all the fuss is about it. If you look at SUP Magazine there is an amazing number of board manufactures out there.

Also looking at Canoe & Kayak buyers guide there is sure a huge variety of kayak, fishing kayaks and sit on tops some at very cheap retail prices. Some of the boats look like the moulds are pretty complicated. I wonder if these manufactures know something more about the molding of plastics than some of the canoe manufactures. What would it take to convince some of them to manufacture a canoe or 2?

They already have the manufacturing facility and access to CNC plug making machines and such.

I know canoe sales are at a way smaller scale than many of the new toys
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

agree with Smurfwarrior

Post by Wendy »

The manufacturers created the SUP market using a strategic business plan. If Mohawk, Esquif and Bell put a plan together and jointly marketed the cost could be reduced with wider exposure. Oh- BTW I'm a woman who has bought many, many boats, but never from Victoria Secrets :lol:
clarion
C Guru

Post by clarion »

One good thing, the new SUP craze is single stick based. Who knows, we may get a couple of them.
It AIN'T bent.
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Wendy- very true. I've SUPed a few times, downriver (Class III) and at a wave feature a couple times. Its fun, but its basically just STAND UP CANOEING. Boards cost from 350-2000 ish and they are selling well.. the yoga comment was funny. Didn't see any dealers at the Outdoor Retailer show marketing them for that, maybe I missed that booth. I've got a friend who owns a whitewater paddle sports related company, and who is a pro kayaker himself, who SUPs almost exclusively these days. Why? Because its different and a challenge. Was at a local theater a few months ago (summer time) and voila... for about ten minutes prior to the flick there was a 'special report' on SUPing pushing the sport and explaining how to get into it. Marketing.....
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

Smurf the yoga comment comes from the southeast here in Tn alot of the local yoga folks are offering stand-up yoga. It is a cool thing. and i agree if we could get jenifer anniston or pink in a canoe it would appeal to the same crowd. (not saying every sup'er is into that) Just saying sup really caught a strong hold when it was on half of the reality shows out there. Canoes need to break into the main stream. We need another Deliverance.
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker
PincheLocoGringo
Pain Boater

Post by PincheLocoGringo »

How about pie? Everyone likes pie. Tell 'em you'll take 'em out for pie and coffee afterwards.

I got a friend interested this year by a basic principle used by 10 year olds the world over...the double-dog dare. I nagged him into watching Hold My Beer and he said that it looked pretty easy and he could do it. I got him to put his money where his mouth was and two swims on the Nantahala later he was ready to go again.

You can't really throw someone out on a 3-4 run without a little practice (unless you happen across a complete idiot who is a glutton for punishment). A lot of open boaters talk about getting more people into the sport, but some of those same boaters don't want to take the time to go down a class 2 run with a newbie. Whether new to boating or just new OCing, they probably will need a couple of warm-up runs. I had 3, one Tuck, 1 Hiawassee, 1 Nantahala, and then on to the Ocoee (refer to the other set of paranthesis).

But seriously, don't forget about the pie.
If common sense were the prevailing wage, I'd always be broke.
iRolled
BlackFly Canoes

Post by iRolled »

hmmmm, Pie. :D
Team Blackfly
http://www.blackflycanoes.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.astraldesigns.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.immersionresearch.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Longboatin
CBoats Addict

rampage

Post by Longboatin »

Pie and/or gaps, i might be down. Anyway, here a quick link to what the bikin kids be doin, like I suggest earlier in this post.

http://www.redbullusa.com/cs/Satellite/ ... 2911842873

Hey, gnarls i wanna see some 360s or back flips off waterfalls, get busy wid it!!!!
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

longboatin dude, bikin is cool but me like better faceplant a water pie than a sand pie looks painful :)
Watch out; that river has rocks on the bottom. :o
VAnate
C Boater

Post by VAnate »

Longboating, marc

Youtube redbull canal crashers from the dominion river rock fest in Richmond last year. Take away the kayaks and put tommy in an open boat instead. hades I might even pay to see that.
Dooleyoc-1
CBoats Addict

Post by Dooleyoc-1 »

Longboating,

Here's is a clip of me freewheeling a 12' cammo canoe off of a waterfall at the 1:07 mark in the video:

http://outdoors.webshots.com/video/3043 ... 3227QxNAWV

I do a rockspin 360 at the lip of a waterfall here at the 1:52 mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJkY_IHPKW8

I've got an idea for an inverted freestyle trick off of a waterfall that I'm going to try this spring... (probably in the prelude)
Kelvin
C Guru

Post by Kelvin »

Hey Dooley,

Not seen that video in ages, almost stokes me up to get a Prelude!

Kelvin.
http://www.sweet-skills.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Ah Kelvin get a L'Edge instead! You'll love it :)