boating posture

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

boating posture

Post by 2opnboat1 »

How much does posture affect boating. I have been watching tons of video and the one thing that is a common link is the really good boater all have good posture. Just asking
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Since none of the really good boaters have chimed in, I'll spout off. I think posture is very important. I can tell I'm paddling better, more efficiently and with more style when I concentrate on posture. With that in mind, I'm quite sensitive to how the back rests fit and how much forward pelvic tilt there is with the saddle.
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

I think that kneeling encourages good posture, but some don't respond to encouragement.

There is some forward flexion of the torso toward completion of the c-1 stroke, but this is not to be equated with slouching.

Sometime we should discuss the matter of "humping," the practice of pulling the entire upper body back as part of the stroke. I try to avoid it, but have been yelled at by an experienced c-boater and coach for not doing so. Humping is most evident in some c-2 slalom teams.
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

ezwater wrote:Humping is most evident in some c-2 slalom teams.
Mixed doubles?
Kelvin
C Guru

Post by Kelvin »

Hi Folks,

In the UK we use the following as a foundation on which to build our paddlers and coaches:

The fundamentals:

Power transfer
Connectivity
Posture
Feel

Key development areas:

Technical
Tactical
Psychological
Physical

So for me Richard, the answer is posture is fundamental to becoming a good boater.

Just some ideas from this side of the pond!

Kelvin.
http://www.sweet-skills.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TNbound
CBoats Addict

Post by TNbound »

Smurfwarrior wrote:
ezwater wrote:Humping is most evident in some c-2 slalom teams.
Mixed doubles?
Ha!

But seriously, body position is key. I don't think posture is the term I would use for it because that makes it sound static. Your body needs to remain dynamic to adapt to/deal with river features. A general posture of being upright and ready to adjust/attack depending on conditions. I guess what I am trying to say is stay aggressive and don't slouch: most beatings I've had/witnessed were all the punishment for sloppy posture/form!
-Anthony

"I'm gonna run this one river left I think.... So far river left, that I'm gonna be on the bank. With my boat on my shoulder."
Yukon
Yukan Canoe

Post by Yukon »

Chest out- show off your million dollar life jacket- hey take a look at me!!
That is what I tell my students.
Or I have given them big fake plastic stick on emralds, put them on their life jacket and tell them to Show off their Diamond

or depending on the clientele- show off your new boob job :)

I also go through a quick exercise to show them that the spine only likes to flex in one plane at a time, once the feel that they can believe me.

Or another one I use is keep your nose over your belly button- and that will keep your boat underneath you.

As soon as you lean forward everything else goes out the window.
Bill M
C Guru

Post by Bill M »

Like Ez said I think the kneeling position itself helps maintain good posture. Sitting in a kayak, in my opinion, does not. Another good reason to paddle a canoe.
Bill