On becoming a Yooper.

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

mapturbator
c

On becoming a Yooper.

Post by mapturbator »

Sooo.... Looks like I may be moving from Northern Cali to Sault Ste Marie next summer. From what I can tell it looks like I'll have to get into creek boating if I want to boat in the UP.

Anybody know what the Ontario side of the pond is like? The Missinaibi sounds interesting! :P
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

No worries, somebody else will tell you better than me but for sure a lot of great boating to do in that area if you can trade in a couple hours drive up north. Not just short urban creek runs but a lot of nice wilderness in northern ontario for sure.

A great web resource here for informations:

http://www.myccr.com/

:D
Watch out; that river has rocks on the bottom. :o
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Welcome to the neighborhood... :D

There's a lot of good stuff that runs into Lake Superior (*L'anse, Marquette, etc.) that you'll be close to... you'll be a lot closer to the Ottawa than I am and you'll also want to check out Sturgeon Falls (Winnepeg) for some fantastic p-n-p surfing... although it's a bit of a drive from where you are.

http://www.cboats.net/gallery/index.php ... e=original

Be sure to pick up a copy of Northwoods Whitewater by Jim Rada... it's the book to have if you want to get the goods in this part of the country.
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&expIds=172 ... a97aebfa72

*L'anse is one of my favorite places in the world to be in the springtime or whenever there's enough water running.
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
lagow8
Pain Boater

Post by lagow8 »

Welcome to the North Country! I live about an hour west of the Black, montreal, and the Presque Isle. Those are a bit of a drive for you, but if your in the area feel free to contact me. I also know a few Open boaters in your area. Not to many c-boaters up here though, I almost always paddle with kayakers, I mostly c1. I agree that the Rada book is the Northwoods bible.

Cheers,
John
mapturbator
c

Post by mapturbator »

Thanks guys. The Wilderness Canoeing sounds awesome. I grew up outside of Chicago and cut my teeth in the BWCA/Quetico. Can't wait to get back to the northwoods.

Sounds like I won't have to have to give up my Encore, though!:D

Do you know if there are any clubs on the Canadian side? I couldn't find anything very close at ACA. Is there a Canadian version of ACA?

The other two possiblities are Sturgeon Bay, WI and Massena, NY, so it's good to see there's some good action out that way. Hopefully I'll know for sure here in the next couple weeks.

And that surf wave is frigging epic, by the way. I've seen that in vids before I think.
Mikey B
CBoats Addict

Welcome to MI

Post by Mikey B »

There's some nice stuff not far across the border from few day trippers to epic adventures :D The paddling around the Sault in MI is tame comparatively, but nice nonetheless. You wouldn't need a creeker. You'll want a nice river tripper for sure to go with your playboats :) There's also plenty of nice stuff on the westside of UP and Northern Wisconsin. You'll enjoy it up there! Bring bug spray :o

Mikey B
Gord
Pain Boater

Post by Gord »

I live about 4hrs drive north of Soo Mich. in northern Ontario. There is some amazing boating up here.

The Canadian side of Superior has some amazing spring runs such as the Dog, Pukaskwa, Jackpine, Cypress, Mackenzie, Postigami, Current.

In summer I most often boat near Hearst, On. where we have several CIII-IV runs literally within a few miles of each other, Nagagami, Shekak, Kabinakagami, Skunk Creek.

There aren't really any clubs here, but we have a good network of boaters that we can put you in touch with. BTW, I have been told I am the only open boater in northern Ontario, so another canoer would be welcome.

Gord
kslund
Pain Boater

Post by kslund »

, I have been told I am the only open boater in northern Ontario, so another canoer would be welcome.
I don't know if he is a hardcore whitewater canoeist, but Bruce Hyer from Thunder Bay was the first person who got me interested in whitewater canoeing - ironically, by showing it to me and then telling me I shouldn't do it. (he was an canoe outfitter and didn't want me busting up his boats)
mapturbator
c

Post by mapturbator »

OK, big surprise...the needs of the service have changed and I am headed for Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin.

Prospects sound good. Preliminary research on the Brule and Wolf sound good.

I'm currently reduced to staring at a map and postulating as AWA's website is down.

Is there more?
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Craig Smerda wrote:Be sure to pick up a copy of Northwoods Whitewater by Jim Rada... it's the book to have if you want to get the goods in this part of the country.
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&expIds=172 ... a97aebfa72
:wink:
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter