C1 Boat up Theory

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

rockyboater
C Guru

C1 Boat up Theory

Post by rockyboater »

So, I'm on the hunt for a new C1 playboat right now. I've herd people talk about boating up. Example, if I should be in a Jackson fun to K1, I should get a 4fun to C1 in. Due to the seat height and the powerful strokes it's suppose to give you more air and better control. Anyone have any information on this?
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

i have heard of what you speak. one size bigger than if u were k1ing
http://www.gnarlzoutdoors.com
Silverbirch Canoes - North American Distributor
Email: tom@gnarlzoutdoors.com
coloradopaddler
C Guru

Post by coloradopaddler »

i've heard that for creek boat/river runners but that might not hold true for a full on play boat. i'd say go with the recommended weight, but i don't know anything.
In a canoe you don't just float down a river: you're part of it- a silent water creature responsive to every surge and flex of current, gliding like a fingertip over a naked green body. "The River Why" David James Duncan
agmazzuckelli
C Boater

Post by agmazzuckelli »

It sort of depends on what you want to do. If you're planning on using it more as a river runner you probably want the extra volume. If you're going to use it just as a playboat then using the recommended size makes it very easy to throw around. It also depends where you are in the weight range. If you're at the top of the range you should probably just go one up, but if you're in the middle you have to decide what you really want it for. From personal experience I would say if you want a river runner stay away from being in the high part of the boat's weight range.
rockyboater
C Guru

Post by rockyboater »

I was leaning towards a 4Fun. The boats good from 160-210lbs. I weigh 165lbs, so that will be a good fit for me then. Looking for a playboat that still runs rivers pretty good. Thanks for the help :D
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

Sorry to come back to this old thread but rockyboater have you finally tried the jackson 4fun as a C1? Or anybody else for that matter? I am also looking at it as a C1 riverplay...

Thanks!
Watch out; that river has rocks on the bottom. :o
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

It depends on your intentions really, If you want to go big (i.e. the big wave moves, big loops and the like) then going a size bigger will probably help, If you want to play in holes, cartwheel on the flat, stall and pirroette then going for the "right volume" will probably suit you better. If you don't have "Cubic" intentions, then something like an In-zone (or it's newer, better brother the Z.One) would probably be even better

I've found that river running in playboats isn't affected by the volume of the boat so much as the rocker and the trim... In uganda I had my C1 trimmed to be stern heavy so I could lean right forwards and charge at full pelt without burying the bow in the process; it was still alright on Nile Special, but on some of the smaller features was really awkward to throw about. When I came back I altered it to be dead neutral trim, and it's a much better playboat, but far more demanding (read a little scary on a normally simple class four) as a river runner.
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
rockyboater
C Guru

Post by rockyboater »

Still haven't pulled the trigger on which boat. But it's still frozen up here so i'm waiting to see what comes up used in the spring. Will see.
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

I think the decision to go to the larger models is mostly for the added width which helps the boat be more stable. Other than that, it comes down to how you trim the boat like the kricket said. :D
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

I am looking for a riverplay to add some challenge and surf fun to smoother runs (class 2-3) but am not a freestyle addict. The Z.one looked too long to me maybe the pyranha varun would have been another option I just thought the 4fun would be easier to resell after if ever, considering the popularity of the design.

Will try the 4fun soon enough and let you guys know what I think of it.
Watch out; that river has rocks on the bottom. :o
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

As one of very few to have converted a c-1 into a kayak, I can say that it turned a bad c-1 into a kayak that is exciting, in some ways. Designs that are edgy and exposed to strong side currents because of slab sides may not be good c-1s. On my boat, an old Noah Magma, it would help its behavior if I still weighed only 195. But other, lighter paddlers found it to be an impossibly edgy and tippy c-1, no matter what they weighed.
Bernie
C Guru

4 fun too big

Post by Bernie »

For your size the 2010 fun is where you want to be. It will be hard to initiate the 4 fun unless the feature is perfect.
I will be at ALF and will take a c-1 Fun if you are wanting to paddle it.
Marc Evans
C Guru

Post by Marc Evans »

Rocky Boater, I'm 185 and recently converted a 2007 4Fun. Bernie's right, it would be too big for you.

Marc, I haven't had much time in the 4Fun and so I can't give you a report. I've only had it on flat water and most of that was just trying to get the trim adjusted. I'm not a play boater, but wanted something a bit more playful, especially in winter when a skirt comes in handy.

For you folks in the midwest and northeast, I hate to tell you this, but winter isn't leaving. We are expecting 0 degrees (F) on Friday and what we get here in Washington usually moves on to you folks in the east. Been a long winter.

Marc
rockyboater
C Guru

Post by rockyboater »

Marc Evans wrote:Rocky Boater, I'm 185 and recently converted a 2007 4Fun. Bernie's right, it would be too big for you.

I already have a full play boat and just want something with more volume. Something that can play well and still run 3-4 water if needed. Big boat means big air! :) I know a few kayakers that are about my weight that have 4Fun's and like them a lot.