big guys and the Sith?!?!?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Lappie
C Guru

big guys and the Sith?!?!?

Post by Lappie »

I would like to know if any body here have a Sith and are around 220lbs and love the boat for river running and playing.
Thank you
Lappie
C Guru

Post by Lappie »

So I guess it answer my question, the Shaggy Designs Sith is not for big guys!!
Cheers
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I'm 215-220 and have had fun in it, but my total drive time is about an hour. A full cut could/should work depending....
adamin
CBoats.net Staff

Post by adamin »

Or, all who own the Sith are under 200 lbs (everyone I know that has one is). I would e-mail the Shaggy folks from their website and see what they have to say - good honest folks. Assuming someone in your weight range (or heavier) has hopped in they may be able to put you in touch with them.

Good luck, and keep us posted!
Lappie
C Guru

Post by Lappie »

I was in contact with Gwyn at Shaggy and he is the one who suggested to ask the question here. He said that for him, the full volume Sith is about right for him, he is 165lbs. He also said that it was possible to increase the volume a little more, but since I can't try the boat and he doesn't know me and how I paddle it's hard for him to say it would or wouldn't work!! So I was wonderin if any big guys had any experiences with it and could tel me what are there thoughts.

To make the story a little longer... The reason for the post is that I want a new boat, more play full than my MR Outrage X, that would be easier to spin and surf at the play hole in town and also good at river running up to class IV rapids. I have converted a necky Jive but it look like I'm a bit heavy for it, the bow and stern are just at the surface of the waer wile I'm in!??!

I also don't want an other rx boat. So maybe the L'Èdge is a better option??! What do you guys think?
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

I've been as heavy as 205lbs. My Sith is still my favorite boat. Mine is full-cut. It surfs & spins like a dream!

What does Gonzo weigh? He's thin, but there's got to be some weight in those long bones. I think his Sith is a 10cm cut. I paddled it & it was fine, I just wanted a little more volume.
Lappie
C Guru

Post by Lappie »

Thank you Mike, hopefuly others with experiences with the boat will chime in!!
billcanoes
CBoats Addict

Sith

Post by billcanoes »

The current Full cut Sith was paddled by two larger fellows 250-260 pounder, the stern was submerged about 2", but the submerged end would be based on your outfitting, so at 220 with the full cut you would have a very slicey boat-my guess would be on my boat the water line would be at the seem. Martin Du Toit previously had been willing to add 5mm or so to each half increasing volume if desired.

I'm 195 and the full cut is great for me-,

so if you want a really slicey squirt boat leave it as is full cut. My advice would be add the extra volume, get a nice stable platform NOTE- by redoing the seam tape you can always trim the volume
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

don't get me wrong.. the OCs are fun for play but the Sith is just SO different and SO playfull. Just remember its a play C1 and performs like that - verses an OC1! 8)
I have the old demo boat (most likely full cut-ish) and it is a hoot... Fast, carves and loose at my 185 (without gear). Its easy to care for (remember mine was the demo so it was used hard but is still holding up well) and repair.
On sizes ...Martin's was just a tad too big for me to throw about the way I wanted (verses Bill's). That said if I were you I'd get the add on for your weight.
Its a very fun and very different boat! :-)
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!