made up rivalry

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

made up rivalry

Post by 2opnboat1 »

I started boating with all kayakers and there was never a problem. In the last few years there has been a huge rift in our sport. I understand why kayakers dont want to paddle with oc. We are slower and on the average when oc's flipp they swim, the boats are hard to rescue and the amount of time it takes can be a trip killer. I am guilty myself of not letting someone tag along just so I dont have ro rescue them all day. If a group dosent want to boat with you maybe it is not the boat maybe they just dont know or they are scared of your ability. just saying so dont hang me
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

There's no rift here - usually just good natured jabs. Some of the noob kayakers don't get that an OC can "keep up", but that's remedied by example pretty quickly. It still amazes me how many kayakers aren't used to seeing OCs/C-1s on anything but the Nantahala...
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
iRolled
BlackFly Canoes

Post by iRolled »

Yup, this is true. Louie swam yesterday and he held up the trip, by like 30 seconds. :lol:

I'm just glad I could be there to save him.
Team Blackfly
http://www.blackflycanoes.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.astraldesigns.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.immersionresearch.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Not 'hanging you', but dude... you just sponsored the most divisive individual in the canoe scene in regards to being anti-kayaker and even anti-'anything but open boats' to include C-1ers.... whats your point?

+1 on Craigs puppy
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

This weekend it was pointed out to me that alot of the problems oc has with butt boat is on our side and what comes from their side is out of pure ignorance not meanness or anyof what we want folks to think
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

I think you are right Richard.
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Furthermore, I boat with 99% kayakers and they think I'm nuts but enjoy watching me canoe. I've gotten some to try it in the pool or easy sections but some people are just not wired for canoeing as the learning curve starts right back near the bottom if they switch boats. Most can't handle that hit to the ego or whatnot and thats ok. I'll just be having more fun than them, thats all. :)
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

i think smurf wants to be sponsored, too! :roll:

or maybe you should save those comments for the "sour grapes" forum...
Last edited by gumpy on Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

NOPE, I paddle for ME :)
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

sounds pretty exclusive :lol:
Joe
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Jeez dude, dont go back and edit things back into your post. Thats cheating. :)

Sour Grapes? Nope- just don't agree with the philosophy of some. No biggy. But I'm not going to suck up to anyone and not point out facts.
cadster
CBoats Addict

Post by cadster »

Canoer chauvinism has already been stated and discussed here too much already.

The separation of canoers and kayakers is due the push amongst a lot of kayakers to paddle class V of increasing difficulty in order to “progress in the sport”. There are obviously canoers who believe this too, but in a much smaller proportion than kayakers. Changing that proportion amongst canoers seems to be the agenda for some.

The rift is happening in me since I'm choosing to kayak more when pushing my abilities versus canoe.
agrestal
C Guru

Post by agrestal »

I've really only seen the rivalry here... and in talking to Mr Infamous. The majority of my boating buddies are kayakers just cuz they are the majority of boaters. They've always been willing to help me carry my boat just like my cboatin buds, willing to chase my boat if I yardsale, and all around a great crew. Seems to me like people are people (nice or jerks) regardless of what craft they go down the river in so I try to surround myself with the nice ones. We're not above a few good natured jabs at each other here and there, but they don't mind my boat so I don't mind theirs. :-)
canoera hasta la muerte
www.CostaRicaRios.com
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

I definitely see a rivalry in other places (our club message board), but it always comes from people who are looking to push somebodies buttons anyway they can figure how. I let myself get riled up sometimes, but I'm always polite when I tell them how dumb they are. :)

Shep