Am I Screwed? (Vynabond foul up)

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

oc1matt

Am I Screwed? (Vynabond foul up)

Post by oc1matt »

last night i was putting on some d-ring patches with vynabond. I was following the directions on the bottle (should have looked here :roll: ) I put two coats of vynabond on both the patch and the boat hull, but did not wait for them to dry before I stuck them together. Am I screwed?

The boat is sitting gunnels up in a hope that all the fumes will exit away from the hull. I haven't checked for delamination yet, but is it inevitable now? If it is, do you have any recommendations on what to do next?

Smacking myself in the head,

Matt
Searching far and wide for whitewater in Texas
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

If the ABS under the grey vinyl is going to soften, you should have noticed it by now. It's probably too late to pull the d-ring patches off, so I suggest you wait and check carefully for softening with cautious finger pressure. Maybe the Vynabond was drier than you thought.

I hope these patches were just for tying gear or air bags in. If they were for thigh straps, you might have to devise a different attachment method rather than using those spots.

My boat was damaged by an acetone leak. The inner vinyl, ABS, and central foam ended up kind of mixed together, but they did harden, and the outer ABS layer, after temporarily softening, hardened again. I will probably glass the inside of the "accident."
Einar
CBoats Addict

You are not the first

Post by Einar »

For anyone else if this happens usually you figure it out immediately after making the join and sensing the heat. Try doing whaterver you can to cool off the "kick" and slow the reaction down. Cold water from a hose or ice applied to the exterior surface (or interior, what have you got to lose at this point ?) will help slow the reaction heat release down.
You are not the first to do this.
Had this happen to a friends Viper 11 and we managed to stop it on one side with a hose of water.
Cold beer works too if you are desperate.

I've stopped using acetone on royalex, just seems to harsh.
Eric Nyre
C Guru

Post by Eric Nyre »

You're probably NOT screwed

The heat it up method is much safer, but there are hundreds of boats that have been outfitted following the directions on the can without problem.

If memory is correct the can says apply in very thin layers. If you did that, no worries. If you gobbered it on thick....

Likely whatever damage is done is already done. I'd heat the area with a hairdryer to try and bake out anything else, but other than that nothing you can do.
Einar
CBoats Addict

How did it work out ?

Post by Einar »

When you figure out what state you are in for damage control I have used anchoring strips on the hull high side for anchors. They are long & narrow and will spread out the stress of the thigh strap "pull" away from the weak area.

here is linked view
http://www.northwater.com/html/products ... trips.html

(edited for better clarity, hopefully)
Last edited by Einar on Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eric Nyre
C Guru

Post by Eric Nyre »

Not sure what I'm missing, but Einars posts don't seem to make contextual sense.

Spambot? Language issues? Accidently replying to the wrong post?
Einar
CBoats Addict

Oops, that will happen

Post by Einar »

Oops, that'll happen.
What I meant to say not to get to bummed out over the glue problem, it can be worked around. This is a more common mistake than imagined.

One repair answer is to span the softened hull spot with a long vnyl strap as North Water and others sell. It spreads the stress out onto the hull fore and aft of the weakened spot.
Good luck and hope I was clearer that time.