Bliss-Stick Mystic conversion

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Bliss-Stick Mystic conversion

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

Hey folks -- would be grateful for your help:

My next foam-work assignment is to convert a Mystic to C-1.

While there are lotsa posts with good info on conversion in general, I haven't found anything on the Mystic specifically.

Any advice about configuration -- especially seat placement? I read one kayak review that recommended "seat well forward" -- Comments?

BTW, Bliss-Stick (the Canadian rep) was very helpful, and -- yes -- the company will sell a hull (at a reduced price) without K outfitting.

Thanks for your help.

Rick
C'est l'aviron. . . !
rockyboater
C Guru

Post by rockyboater »

I always try to make my seats adjustable till I get it on the water. That way you can fine tune the position in the boat. I just take some chunks of foam out with me and adjust till it feels right. Pool sessions are good for that too. Do you want straps, bulk head or a combination of both? You may need a fairly low seat height to fit in that one. Looks like a fun hull though. I'd consider something like this for a boat like that. http://liquidtrails.de/open-sucks/creek_outfit.html
OC1er
CBoats Addict

Post by OC1er »

Ah yeah, the mystic. I converted one about a year ago and I absolutely love it. I also got a very reasonable deal on an empty shell from the main distributer in Asheville. This boat makes a great C boat. It's a fuzz short (I'm 6'2" ish, 195 lbish), but its design lends itself to conversion. Cock pit is pretty deep compared to other creekers out there and bliss stick's rocker and edge design is really well thought out. The kayak foot brace holes are positioned perfectly for installing a c pedestal. People see the published volume (73 gal) and shy away, but they usually don't realize that volume is measured with all the k boat outfitting in the boat. This boat is easily 80 gallons, and probably more. Put it up next to a large burn, the mystic is every bit as big.

I just installed one of Larry Horne's wonder seats in mine, and it is bad-a$$er'n hel. More on that in a different post! I did have a dagger pedestal in there and it worked great. I borrowed a buddies boat and traced his bulkheads to get the curves right. It is a forward boat like you said. The front face of my seatback is 10" from the inside of the cockpit rim in the stern. I had to buy a custom skirt for this boat (skirtwerks hooked it up!), the tunnel on a standard k skirt is too far back and it will blow off (Found that out in the middle of BodySnatcher on the Doe!). My seat is about 5.5-6" high. I cut the thigh hook attachment area off the rim for comfort, had to drill a couple of holes in the rim to attach my thigh pads.

PM me, I can send you a pdf of the tracing I did for the skirt design, it shows a lot of the outfitting measures on there, could be a help to you.

Dan P.
Its not about the approach. Its about control in the hole.
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Thanks, RockyB for the suggestions, and for the article. Good stuff.

Dan -- thank you for the comments, and for the offer. PM on the way.

Appreciate the general helpfulness, folks. Keep the ideaz coming!

Rick
C'est l'aviron. . . !
Mike Moody
c

Post by Mike Moody »

Hey Rick,

What color did you order?
I'm looking forward to seeing your conversion!

Mike
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Hey Mike

I ordered yellow. That way, the stains won't show when I pee my pants taking it down the first big drop. . .

Lotsa good ideas about conversion from contributors here on cboats. I think I will stick with thigh-straps (SS aircraft buckles for Q. R.) and bulkheads for the knees (allee samee as in Reflux and Fink.)

Bob and I are interested in getting together wit y'all this spring for a "try out" weekend. Bring yer quiver. Chilli? Coq? Nicola? H'fly? whatever -- a short easy stretch so we can swap boats and compare notes.

Rick
C'est l'aviron. . . !
Gwyn
Pain Boater

Mystic outfitting photos

Post by Gwyn »

Apologies for taking a while to get the photos, but here are a few images of the setup I have in my Mystic. I find a normal kayak deck works just fine (I have an IR Special K I think).

Hope this is useful to somebody.

Thanks
Gwyn
www.mohakarafting.co.nz
www.shaggydesigns.com
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Gwyn, Is the kayak seat-tray still in that boat?
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Hey Gwyn

Thanks a bunch for the pix. I note you have attached your bulkhead to the holes in the cockpit rim supplied for kayak knee-braces. Makes sense.

Dan has suggested the seatback be placed a full 10" ahead of the inside of the rear cockpit rim. That's in keeping with the suggestion that the weight in a Mystic should be well forward.

Would Dan's measurement allow enough leg-room for your placement of the bulkhead? I have pretty short legs.

YOUR comments on the weight issue???

(It would help if I had the dam boat in front of me, but it ain't arrived yet!)

Thanks
Rick
C'est l'aviron. . . !
Gwyn
Pain Boater

Mystic outfitting

Post by Gwyn »

KrikkitWars;
Yes, that is a Bliss-Stick seat with the top cut off. It is really useful for keeping the foam pillars in place, mounting hip pads, and has kept the hull from oil-canning too much.

Rick;
My seatback is 16cm from the inside of the cockpit rim. I use a standard kayak deck with no problems (an IR special K). I have quite long legs as well (I am 6ft 3inches, and about 170lbs), but have enough room in the Mystic.

I come from a slalom background, so have quite an aggressive, lean forward style of paddling. I have never had problems with the tail catching in my Mystic. I think that if I had my seatback much further forward then I would go 'over the handlebars' too much on bigger drops.

Thanks
Gwyn
http://www.petawawaraftteam.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mohakarafting.co.nz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.shaggydesigns.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;