Run of River Projects

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Mike Moody
c

Run of River Projects

Post by Mike Moody »

Here is a good video clip.

http://hydroreform.org/news/2011/01/06/ ... ted-parody

We don't want to loose our rivers!
Longboatin
CBoats Addict

wtf?

Post by Longboatin »

thanks for the post mike. It does seem strange that eventhough our choice of recreation here requires water, not much traffic on the site about environmental issues. Sure there are some hints, like Wendys post in another thread mentioning compressed air cars, but unfortunately only hints.

Personally, i've been struggling with the amounts of fuel used to get to the river, run shuttle etc. Sure we boat paddle power, but transportation issues really seem to put us inline wid the motorboaters and jetskiers.
kaz
Millbrook Boats - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by kaz »

Longboatin', I think the same way about how much it costs to go boating. That's the main reason why I sold my van and now drive a Honda Civic. Maybe we should all get rid of our big honkin' four times fours, and get an economical car. I know, I know, blasphemy!

JKaz
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

kaz wrote:Longboatin', I think the same way about how much it costs to go boating. That's the main reason why I sold my van and now drive a Honda Civic. Maybe we should all get rid of our big honkin' four times fours, and get an economical car. I know, I know, blasphemy!

JKaz
I drive a 1990 Honda Civic with 305,000 miles. According to many, it should have come off the road a LONG time ago. But I paid $1500 for it 6 years ago, and since I can work on it myself, it is cheap, reliable, and still gets around 30 mpg, even with boats on top.
Matt Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting - Custom Bulkhead Canoe Saddles
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

This is all so true. Get a fuel efficient car is sure one thing, carpooling is also a good way to reduce your impact.

Myself I mostly won't drive much more than two hours (with at least two people in the car) for a one day river. But I would (and have to) drive more for a multi-days trip...

Some river are located near enough of a railroad to provide train transportation or shuttle also.

:roll:
Watch out; that river has rocks on the bottom. :o
Longboatin
CBoats Addict

Post by Longboatin »

kaz +1 on the 4banger

marmy, train infrastructure smooth enough to actually use it to boat i think is but a wet dream in u.s.

I believe lengthy boated a river on his yearly canada trip that utilized a train for shuttle to the putin