FullGnarlz Farewell speech...

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

FullGnarlz Farewell speech...

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

heres another farewell speach from ANOTHER boater much more involved than most ppl that graze this forum and benefit from the content others generate.

You guys do a great job of chasing away ppl that r into the sport, and want to grow the sport into how it should be grown. It is clear to me now why canoeing is what it is...and why it has the reputation that is does. It's ashame. Keep doing what your doing though... seriously ya'll r doing a great job. canoeing is such a big deal....alot of you have voiced that you'd like to keep it a niche, and keep it for yourselves... but thats exactly the selfish mentality that has kept it what it is. And why there is hardly any money in it for anyone involved.

I love how it's the class II boaters that hold this sport back. Clearly that makes sense. no wonder why kayakers kayak... they dont wanna deal with the class II canoe crowd. and you know what... I can't blame them. The type of ppl btching are the type of people that would never confront someone in person... because ur cowards and just want to be relevant again. Sorrry my Class V approach has undermined a lot of you, and made it to where you feel inferior.

you guys r killing the sport, whether u realize it or not. You've been doing it for years upon years. Keep boating for urselves tho... seriously. Noble cause.

One thing has become clear in my two years of being involved in this sport... the core crowd keeps it from growing. Not the GDI crowd....but the crowd that would never consider themselves GDI because of what it stands for...

BTW. This has nothing to do with Mohawk. Nor what they represent. This is merely 1 person voicing their opinion based on observation. Don't take it out on one of the only canoe company's left in the sport.

so say what ur gonna say on the internet...because lets face it...u wouldnt say it to my face...because you know better.
http://www.gnarlzoutdoors.com
Silverbirch Canoes - North American Distributor
Email: tom@gnarlzoutdoors.com
fez
CBoats Addict

Post by fez »

???

[edit]

aah, I got it.

alright
imagine
oc1kcwlkr
Pain Boater

Post by oc1kcwlkr »

geez fez.. catch up :D
kaz
Millbrook Boats - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by kaz »

There's a time difference from here to where Fez lives.

JKaz :wink: :wink:
bobthepainter
Pain Boater

Post by bobthepainter »

say it aint so! .... you made a lot of good points, and some great footage my friend ! don't let a few negative nancy's dampen your ways of doing what you do. beacuse a small few number of us don't feel like" they do....." tommy the A.K.A. you rock dude! AND NOBODY CAN TAKE THAT AWAY ......:wink:
clarion
C Guru

Post by clarion »

Before this all gets completely out of hand -- and for no good reason whatsoever -- I just have to know ....

Tommy, is that lint in your navel?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
It AIN'T bent.
old and in the way
C Guru

Post by old and in the way »

Wow...nice job painting with a broad brush. I am sorry you feel this way.

As one of those despised Class II boaters I do take exception to your generalizations. You've been in the sport for 2 years? I've been paddling a canoe for over 30 years.

I am now quite content to run my piddly Class II rivers, and every time I run them I find new variations of things to do. I have no need to run waterfalls or The Green or any of that stuff. To those who do, you have my admiration. Just not my cup of joe (don't care for tea, thank you). However, I also get great enjoyment out of flatwater paddling, wilderness trips, and even the occasional stretch of my meager abilities to a Class IV run.

As for keeping the sport to myself, I have probably taught more people how to canoe than you ever will. Why? Because someone taught me how to paddle, and when I asked how I could ever repay such kindness I was told to pass it on. So pass it on I did. I have taught kids, adults, special needs students. I've helped with kids who went on to be US Slalom Team members. Every one of my students is a better paddler than I ever was or will be and that makes me very happy.

There is for more to the Canoe (capitalized on purpose) than many realize. If people are keeping things to themselves, then I pity them, as they are missing out on much, but there is no need to condemn all.

Jim
"As long as there are young men with the light of adventure in their eyes or a touch of wildness in their souls, rapids will be run." -Sigurd Olson
Lappie
C Guru

Post by Lappie »

Well said Jim! As for keeping the sport to them self, Even if I don't know you, that's prety much what you(Tommy the great) have been doing!!
Cheers
Yukon
Yukan Canoe

Post by Yukon »

Garnlz
Maybe you should go read some of your own posts. Some of em I enjoy reading, some are way off base and some have nothing to do with paddling at all. I do read conflicting things into your posts about wanting to grow the sport and the only way is bigger harder rapids and then support for others doing there thing.

There is room in this sport for everyone and all the characters are good to have,makes it more interesting. To really grow the sport you need to build the base but also need people at the top pushing the limits too.

Gives us your insight on running the gnar, what can we learn from it and apply it to our own boating. Do it in a way that people will hear what u are saying and not have to decipher some of the bad butt ways that come out.
If people dont listen to what u have to say, then what help is it?

I never met you in person, and would actually like to paddle with you at some point. Many people dont have patience or tolerance to put up with attitude, (but it is there choice and loss) Same as its your choice what to post about and how to post it.

Others do have a choice if they want to read your stuff or not, so i dnot know why one would need a filter or make complaints on what someone was posting. There is a button that skims quickly down the page.

We dont need more rules on posting etc. People need to be tolerant of other ideas and such. If you dont like dont read IT.

Tommy has some the occasional good idea and comment.

And Tommy you are gonna quit posting cuz some sissy stick cboats chasing you off. Geez its only a pddle we have not a gun. If you are gonna dish it out you gotta be able to take it. Quitting is NOT an OPTION.
SlovenOC'er
Pain Boater

Post by SlovenOC'er »

Tommy,

I don't normally post on these kind of threads, but you're young and can offer a lot to the sport. Please consider the following...

Over the years I've known a number of boaters that have the athletic abilities you hold valuable, experience and skill set to run about anything that has been done to this point. For their own reasons they choose to paddle class 2, 3, 4, compete in freestyle, slalom etc. I respect their choices as much as the steep crowd and would not consider them inferior boaters.

World class canoeists post here frequently. Boaters with gnar resumes few of us will ever have. While there are differences in opinion, they are for the most part highly respected and not often hammered online. You need to figure out why.

We've heard from other members about teaching, river cleanup of other people's trash, creating and running an online forum to the benefit of canoeists all over the world. Most receive no monetary compensation or pro deals. I don't blame them for feeling offended.

Based on your posts and others, you have improved your canoe skills quickly, bagged a few OC 1 1st descents and got a pro deal from a established manufacturer. Well done. But you are still climbing the mountain, not at the peak.

Finally, to be honest, it's been a loonnng time since I had a pro deal. I can tell you that manufacturers whether Esquif, Mohawk or Bubba's duck tape specials want paddlers that help them sell more boats. When I signed, I was told that my sponser didn't "want people being a d**k out there". Being friendly, approachable and positive to everyone mean as much as how photogenic you were on your last big blunt or huckfest.

I hope you'll think this over and decide to return to the forum. Your passion for canoesport is your biggest asset. It will be missed.
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

McG,

Seriously, do read what you say to people? Why are you spoilin' for a fight? People don't need to feel inferior to think somebody's being a jeerk.

Haven't we had about billion posts that conclude it takes all kinds to grow the sport - paddle the gnar, paddle with kids, paddle with canoe clubs, rafters, kayakers, whatever.

Now you're the only who knows what's best again? Why so my-way-or-the-highway?

You come on here with purpose saying "hey, watch out, nobody can handle my attittude", then expand into "hey, I could beat you up in person", etc., and then you get all frustrated that some people want nothing to do with your attitude??? Gimme a break, you not only predict that yourself, you take pride in it, so where's the crisis? ....

<edited>

Pat.
adamin
CBoats.net Staff

Post by adamin »

As Tommy has decided to leave the board and can no longer reply I am locking this post.