The Greats in the sport

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

And a nomination for Bruce Lessels, (C1, US Slalom Team, Zoar Outdoor), lots of videos on the web too. (Do a search for "expertvillage canoe")
Bob P
TonyB
CBoats Addict

Post by TonyB »

Id also like to give a nod to Jim Michaud, took me down some of my personal firsts (and hopefully will continue)known where ever he goes. and still paddlin a real open boat when a lot of us are deckin and down sizing. rebuilds an outrage just last year from planter so he'd have anew creeker. and has been steep creekeing longer than I been alive. (probibly)

See ya at ALF Jim?
Proud Yankee
samuraimojo

Post by samuraimojo »

Vincent Dupont

Didn't see him listed yet. Maybe not in the ranks of some of the previous mentioned "greats". He is a fantastic boater.
Hans Vidkjer
Pain Boater

Post by Hans Vidkjer »

dudes, no one mentioned Bob Foote?? I think he pretty much fits requirements...
Lappie
C Guru

Post by Lappie »

Don't worry, Bob as been mention!!
xmas0c1c1k1
CBoats Addict

Post by xmas0c1c1k1 »

Alan Brasswell, Barry Kennon, Chris Manderson, J Ditty, B miller, Seth Chapelle, Vincent Dupont, Will Lyons some of the best c1ers not including the slalom guys
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

I'm enjoying the list of names, especially from other areas (and not just other country's - some of the "greats" listed in the US I've never heard of.

That said I think we're muddying the waters - there are some phenomenal paddlers listed for sure, but are they "one of the greats" in CBoating.

Paul Danks is one of the best CBoaters I've ever seen... but I don't include him among the Greats (yet... he has time:) ).
Keep the C!
Adam
RodeoClown
BlackFly Canoes

Post by RodeoClown »

If we're throwing "not-yet-legends" into the mix, I'll add Joe Stumpfel. He's got some serious skills, both in freestyle and creeking, and I credit him for getting me 'serious' about c-boating.
Jeremy Laucks
Owner, Blackfly Canoes
http://www.blackflycanoes.com
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

RodeoClown wrote:If we're throwing "not-yet-legends" into the mix, I'll add Joe Stumpfel. He's got some serious skills, both in freestyle and creeking, and I credit him for getting me 'serious' about c-boating.
good to know... now we have someone to blame. :lol:
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
Alden
CBoats Addict

Post by Alden »

A lot of North Americans mentioned, but canoeing greats from other areas come to mind . . . Martin Lang (back-to-back World Champ) . . . Lukas Pollert (pawned two Olympic medals) . . . Pavol and Peter Hochshorner (in the top five cboaters ever). . . Gareth Marriott . . . Jiroslav Simek . . . Jiri Rohan . . . Reinhold Kauder . . . Frank Addison . . . Wilfrid Forgues . . . Robin Bell . . . Michal Martikan (top five). . . anyone named Estanguet (Tony, top five) . . . Juraj Mincik . . . Henry David Thoreau . . .

Alden
boatbuster
CBoats Addict

Southern perspective

Post by boatbuster »

Nolan

Psycho

Eli

Dooley

As for people who have done a lot to promote the concept of canoes on hard whitewater, Milt Aiken and Steve Frazier.

And although he is from up north. Jim Michaud.
icyone
C Guru

Great C-1Ws

Post by icyone »

It is rather odd that nobody has mentioned Bunny Johns and Carrie Ashton among the truly all-time greats.

Bunny has made a lifetime of contributions to the sport in ways to numerous to mention. (Ironically, when she and Mike made the US team, (winning the team trials over all the mens' C-2s. BTW), and competed in the WC's team race with 2 US men's boats, just missing a medal, it brought down the final wrath and fury of the ICF to finally forbid women from competing in ANY canoe classes, though.) She & Carrie were probably the first C-2W team to run the Grand Canyon, but I always recall them racing the Savage, competing against the mixed class back when it was still a class.

Carrie is better known as a K-1, but I recall her racing at the Savage in C-1 as well. She was an outstanding C-1W and a mentor and inspiration to many of us. It is not well remembered now that in the mid-70's to mid-80's there was a flourishing of C-1W in the US. The smaller and more agile boat designs that began with the ending of the "high ends" rule attracted more women, until the return of slalom to the Olympics, which had snubbed the C-2M class back in 1972, along with the banning of women from canoe classes by the ICF, forced women competitors into K-1 or oblivion. But in the early 80's women like Cathy Hearn, Linda Harrison, and Wendy Stone, to name a few, were more than competent in C-1 as well and often competed in races: some of them would have preferred C-1 if it were an option. I think it was uncommon in Europe -- at least the Euros who started showing up in the 80's were pop-eyed as seeing women in C-1's, and it was always a gas to whip into an eddy on the Gauley and enjoy the stares.

Ah, the politics of our sport....
C-1's are the Gods of the River
boatbuster
CBoats Addict

A couple more greats

Post by boatbuster »

Phil Foti OC1

Brian Miller C1
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Maybe people are a little "louie Shy" here these days but I'll nominate Michael Bruce Lewis... AKA, LOUIE.
Why? ALF... his long history in the sport/industry, how many people he brings to the sport, his paddling/swimming talent... and all that jazz.. he might be banned from the site but his name should be on this list.
CosmikDebris
CBoats Addict

Post by CosmikDebris »

ummm, not sure if I can say this but xmasoc1whateveryournameis, but...I'm a kayaker.