Behavior on forum

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

PincheLocoGringo
Pain Boater

Behavior on forum

Post by PincheLocoGringo »

As most people who know me or visit this forum realize, I am generally laid back and don't stick my nose in. But, in this case I feel obligated to voice an opinion.

While I don't defend the recent actions of a few of my friends, or defend their positions/opinions, I feel that the board has lost some interesting characters. Whether you read their posts because you liked them or hated them, they made for fun reading. Kind of like Howard Stern in his hayday. Also, you have to realize that some people carry a paddle not only to boat but to stir the pot.
Quite frankly, I will miss my daily soap opera that was C-Boats.

And remember, getting mad or fighting on the internet is like Edited by moderator
If common sense were the prevailing wage, I'd always be broke.
adamin
CBoats.net Staff

Post by adamin »

That's what Boatertalk is for:)
oc1kcwlkr
Pain Boater

Post by oc1kcwlkr »

I don't post very often. Mainly just use this board for lurking, and i do use the PM function quiet often, mainly because i suck at phones and i can keep in touch with people on here more easily...

I've found it a bit disconcerting and very difficult to read lately with all of the moderation that is goin on..

I have a hard time sifting through all the reprimands, Locked boards, editing by the moderators. I feel like i'm in grade school..

While i appreciate this board, and value it as a resource.. And i do understand this is your board. I also completely grasp your stance being " My way or the Highway" and "If you don't like leave".

But thats just my opinion.

ps.. What size air bags do i need for my new ocoee?
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Actually, its far more simple.

The rules of the board boil down to "be civil to one another, no personal attacks, and stay on topics of paddling and related to paddling"

99.9+% of folks seem to grasp this and be OK with it. Perhaps more, who just choose not to post here.

We do not censor opinions, ideas, etc..., just attacks on specific people and language that is not "G" rated (and we stretch it a bit to PG sometimes I know). I have no problem with folks being colorful - until they cross those lines.

I'm unclear what changed, but for 10 years we did very little moderation other than the occasional gentle PM, and most folks were apologetic we had to reach out to them. This past year the tone of some of the folks on this board has changed, and that has meant us having to enforce rules that have been around for years.

As a last thought, remember none of us are paid. There is no huge revenue stream from this site. We do this to help connect paddlers and encourage the CBoat community - especially newer folks.

Thank you all again for your patience, and making CBoats.net what it is. I'm always open to hearing new ideas of how we can do things differently better.
Keep the C!
Adam
Eric Nyre
C Guru

Post by Eric Nyre »

I come to this board to find useful paddling information. Not to sort through a pile of ego driven nonsense. There are other places online to be idiots. I have no interest in Howard Stern or his wannabes.

If someone got kicked off the board for breaking the very simple rules, good riddance.
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

Sir Adam wrote:I'm unclear what changed, but for 10 years we did very little moderation other than the occasional gentle PM, and most folks were apologetic we had to reach out to them. This past year the tone of some of the folks on this board has changed, and that has meant us having to enforce rules that have been around for years.
I'm of the opinion that it is winter somewhere and people aren't getting their paddling fix and going through withdrawal symptoms. Also, this site has had plenty of time to receive internet exposure so it's a matter of the odds of "x" number of "congenial" cboating posters to "y" number of "aggitator" cboating posters. :P

But that's my opinion and I'm very happy to share it with anyone who wants to read it. Now, the next cboating topic on my agenda is to go boat on the river tomorrow and take my soon-to-be 5-year old daughter with me. I'm feeling better already! :D
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Alden
CBoats Addict

Post by Alden »

Adam,

Once again, a big thanks for all the hard work you and the other moderators do.

I know that it can't always be the easiest job. I appreciate it.

Class V dreams for me until all this snow melts . . .

:D

Alden
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

Alden wrote:Adam,

Once again, a big thanks for all the hard work you and the other moderators do.

I know that it can't always be the easiest job. I appreciate it.

Class V dreams for me until all this snow melts . . .

:D

Alden
Until you're the unwarranted (and often untrue) focus of attention, then it's easy to find fault. There are some types that have no concept of the world (outside of themselves), and feel warranted to post what ever hatred, sarcasm, truths, or bits of fiction that pops into their mind. Until that day of the Great Utopian Society there will a need for oversight. As someone has been on both sides, I say good job... and keep up what you're doing.
RodeoClown
BlackFly Canoes

Post by RodeoClown »

I'll throw another "Thank you" into the mix. I appreciate the work done to keep the discourse here civil.
Jeremy Laucks
Owner, Blackfly Canoes
http://www.blackflycanoes.com
Bruce Farrenkopf
CBoats Addict

Post by Bruce Farrenkopf »

I'm for keeping the discourse ON topic - that is, providing useful information about Cboating. I am not interested in reading clever insults thrown around by boaters that can't control their egos. It seems that kind of dialogue turns more people away from the site than it entertains.

Thanks,

Bruce
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

Thanks boys for all the hard work
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker
SlovenOC'er
Pain Boater

Post by SlovenOC'er »

I'd also like to pile on with my deepest thanks to the folks who do this as a service to the C community. For the most part, this is a island of bliss in an otherwise stormy cyber world.
Wiggins
C Guru

Post by Wiggins »

I was surprised to see Tommy go, but from what I could tell the choice was his and not admins doing.

I find Sir Adam's statement about the change in tone since last year interesting, as I have noticed a similar trend at work. In the last year I have dealt with serious crimes against people more frequently, and had to use force on people more often. It seems people are becoming unspooled all over the place.

The rules are the rules. I have not posted responses that I normally would have elsewhere because I knew that type of thing was not welcome here. It isn't rocket science.

Kyle
WayneM
c

Post by WayneM »

Sir Adam wrote:Actually, its far more simple.

The rules of the board boil down to "be civil to one another, no personal attacks, and stay on topics of paddling and related to paddling"
Hey Adam -

Just got a note from a mutual friend with a mention about some recent moderation issues here. Sorry to hear about that. Been there.

Fortunately, the vast majority of forum members are great people and know how to have fun and be civil at the same time.

From one website admin to another: Keep up the good work :-)
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

You all are very welcome, and thank you all for your posts, PMs, and e-mails of support. We try our best, but won't always get things "right", especially by the thousands of different opinions out there among our thousands of members.

This community is what we all make of it, and there are a tremendous number of good folks here - Thank You all for being part of the CBoats community and making it what it is.

Now go paddle:)
Keep the C!
Adam