Mohawk Thigh Retainer

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Yukon
Yukan Canoe

Mohawk Thigh Retainer

Post by Yukon »

I had the original thigh retainer years ago and think I liked it but cant really remember it as it was not in my primary boat- but in student boat. I see they have improved it with 2 straps. Anyone have some quality time with this system. As we had been talking about an adjustable bulkhead- I forgot this option existed. Could even be used in a plastic boat- with 2 bolted achors.

How is the thigh retainer for rolling? Is the 2 strap version lots better than the 1 strap version? What improvements could be made?

I know BOLTS. any opinion on those for a ledge?
bobthepainter
Pain Boater

Post by bobthepainter »

i have it in my maxim (THE 2 STRAP) and a probe 12-2 .. to me if you tighten it , it seems to pull your knees into the saddle and at a looser fit i can keep my knees pushed out to the side. but i see lots of bulkheads and i'm thinking about making the switch to one. sorry i don't have a roll.. but it will hold me upside down for as long i can hold my breath TRYING to roll ! i have an old dagger ocoee with the old school knee cups that wrap over that really work good also .
Nessmuk
Pain Boater

Post by Nessmuk »

I use the Mohawk system (single strap) in all my boats. I've tried boats with the double strap, and didn't really notice much difference.

I have no trouble rolling with it. I like the fact that it's quick and easy to loosen and tighten- good for quick scouting, and I like to loosen the straps on the flats so I can stretch my legs a bit.

In my Quake I use bolts through the hull (with big washers) to secure the straps- holding up fine after 5 years; don't see why it wouldn't work just as well in a L'edge.
ESP
C Guru

Post by ESP »

I have been using the single thigh retainer strap in a Viper 11 and it works very well.
fleckbass
CBoats Addict

Post by fleckbass »

I have both, single in Probe and double in Viper. The double holds me in better. It also has a second, thicker but not as wide strap that stays tighter. This is due to a different buckle. After some use the wider, thinner strap (top strap) started to slip on both systems. Tighten either down with the use of foot pegs and they will hold you in the boat. There are easy to get in and out fast.
I went raftin' once. I think it was in Ohio.

http://www.easternpaddling.com