Boat Loading Systems

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

SlovenOC'er
Pain Boater

Boat Loading Systems

Post by SlovenOC'er »

Got a new Topper on my truck. Problem is that roof racks are over 7 ft. off the ground. Other than befriending an NBA center to always paddle and run shuttle for me. I'm looking at boat loaders to help the vertically challenged hoist canoes up. We've used Yakima over the years and since we have accumulated a bunch of add-ons, we'll want to stay with them. Yakima has a few devices to help. Checking the Showboat Roller in particular. Anyone used one? Any other ideas?
rockyboater
C Guru

Post by rockyboater »

Get a small booster step and keep it in your truck :D
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

Hey Sloven

I, too, have 7' racks on my truck, and I'm definitely a short-a$$.

Shoving boats onto the racks is easy, long as you do it from the back, not the sides.

But for tying down -- I invested in aluminum running-boards for da truck. Works wonderfully well for me. I've had 'em for the last 3 trucks I've owned, and I wouldn't consider doing without them.

G'luck!

Rick
C'est l'aviron. . . !
canoemid
C Guru

Post by canoemid »

I've been looking for a boat loading system as well. I have the Yakima Boat Loader, but you have to lift over the height of one of the crossbars from the side. The Showboat looks good.

I just discovered you can use a Wheeleez Kayak/Canoe Cart as a loader from the back of the truck. The tires look large enough and spread apart enough to handle a canoe rather than smaller loader systems. Haven't tried it yet.

Any other ideas out there?
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Yakama loader

Post by Wendy »

The simple bar that slides out from the side. Walk up put bow on rack then other half with a step stool assist
Lappie
C Guru

Post by Lappie »

One person on the truck the other one on the ground, the one on the ground pass the boat to the one on the truck and so on... If alone, put one end of the boat agains the top of the canopy and climb on and pull to bring the boat up!!
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Get a hitch mounted cargo carrier and use that for your new blackfly, and any boat shorter than 8.5 feet. Thats what I do :)
Dennysdad
c

Re: Boat Loading Systems

Post by Dennysdad »

I realize this only affects a few but a octane 91 92 will fit inside

A yukonxl/surburban bow first up against passenger seat
Stern to the left side
Best part you can keep it fully loaded
I.e. Throw bag,spare paddle,pump whatever else inside
Will work upright or on its side
Get some strange looks when I slide it out
Could probable go all the way to river
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Re: Boat Loading Systems

Post by Mike W. »

GM trucks are jacked up in the back from the factory. I put 2" drop shackles on the back to level the truck. That puts the rear cross bar at 6'6". Prior to doing shackles I thought about a step stool.

For boats that aren't heavy (40 lbs. Or less) even up to 18' 6", I load from the side by myself.

8' or shorter boats go in the bed. They'll fit diagonally and everything will close with a 6.5' bed.

For the 78 lbs. Scout, I load from the back. I put the bow on the rear cross bar with the stern on the ground, then pick up the stern and walk it up to the truck sliding the boat forward on the rear cross bar.
Attachments
20170915_182242.jpg
20160527_210826.jpg