Blackfly Prototypes

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

SlovenOC'er
Pain Boater

Post by SlovenOC'er »

Really interesting.. Did you get any feel for if one or the other was a dryer ride? I just love all these new designs that are breaking the old norms. Great work.
RodeoClown
BlackFly Canoes

Post by RodeoClown »

I'm going to reserve final judgement on dryness until I've made the final tweaks, since a lot of those will focus on making them drier.

I will say that I did two test runs today (one in each boat) on the Winnipasaukee (1.5miles of class III), and dumped exactly twice- when I got out at the end of each run. I've been pretty surprised with how dry the Ion is, I think in part because it's so short it fits in between the waves.
Jeremy Laucks
Owner, Blackfly Canoes
http://www.blackflycanoes.com
philinasheville
C Guru

Nice

Post by philinasheville »

Can't wait to try out your boats! Let me know when you'll have one down this way...i know lots of folks in my neck of the woods WNC will be interested in them.

Sent you a PM>

Phil
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

RodeoClown wrote:I'll already be flying two boats over to Plattling, so bringing more isn't really realistic. Though if anyone wants to buy a composite Blackfly, I'm hoping to leave it over there. :)
Depends on condition and price... :P

The Ion looks like an awful lot of fun, it looks rather like an OC1 equivalent to the SCUD... which is possibly the funnest, most versatile Kayak/Kaynoe design I've ever had the chance to paddle (cartwheel in that hole, loop in this other one, blunt on that wave, and then boof off that rock and punch through that diagonal)
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

How thick will the plastic on the bottom be? (in mm's)
mahyongg
C Guru

Post by mahyongg »

Wow. Been away from Cboats.net for some time, coming back to this is about as cool as it gets.

People asking for Europe shipping - do a paddling trip over and bring it in as sports baggage. We did that with a Spark from BC (YVR) to Germany (DUS) On Air Berlin for 25 EUROS extra.. treat yourself to a nice paddle on North American rivers and bring one home in style.

Just saying.. there have also been efforts to get shipping of several boats to Germany affordable from Millbrook w/ Kaz and worked out for everybody (including a new importer, RaffTaff) at a reasonable price, so with these smaller boats why should it not?
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

The Option and the Ion look both great Jeremy, but I really think that, before being put in production, they need to be tested thoroughly on BC's rivers and Creeks.
I just happen to know someone who might be willing to do that :wink: :D !

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

TGG- I will selflessly volunteer to bring them to you from ALF, although they will need a short 'layover' in UT for me to testdrive. :)
agrestal
C Guru

Post by agrestal »

How does the Ion compare to the Zoom? (I'm a fan of the Zoom if that makes a difference.)
canoera hasta la muerte
www.CostaRicaRios.com
RodeoClown
BlackFly Canoes

Post by RodeoClown »

agrestal wrote:How does the Ion compare to the Zoom? (I'm a fan of the Zoom if that makes a difference.)
shorter, slower, more stable, more playful. There's really not much to compare the Ion to, other than the Blackfly. :D
Jeremy Laucks
Owner, Blackfly Canoes
RodeoClown
BlackFly Canoes

Post by RodeoClown »

Well, I'm not too proud to post my crashes along with my good lines. Today I got the Option prototype on something steep, and it handled it very well, even if I didn't necessarily. Having spent many years creeking in a kayak, and a few years playboating and river running in canoes, I feel like I've got the skills and judgement to be able to creek in a canoe, but today I realized my confidence and experience need some growth. It's almost, but not entirely, like starting to creek all over again.

But I digress..the boat handled really well, and I'm really happy with it. So here's the video of two of the drops- one good, one not so good (note how I lead into the piton rock with not only the bow, but also both hands.. yeah, that hurts).

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php ... 1881960150

(this video is public, so you don't have to have a facebook account to see it)
Jeremy Laucks
Owner, Blackfly Canoes
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

Nothing like easing back into it.