Prijon Pure XL

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Larry Horne
C Maven

Prijon Pure XL

Post by Larry Horne »

Got it out for the first time on the NF Feather this weekend.
First day was a couple laps on Tobin and Lobin at low flow~500
next day the flow had jumped up to 1750 (which was too high for my taste to run Tobin), so we did a class 3-4 run upstream that was low and manky, then finshed the day with a Lobin run at the 1750. So I got a nice range of rivers in...creeky/boofy class 4-5, manky class 3-4, and stout and pushy class four.

I'm going to try NOT to write a "review" because they all sound the same, and I only have two days in it. But I will say I think it's a great hull for c1. Thank Goodness!

I'm 6'1" and 185lbs... Not really a solid class 5 kind of boater. like to scare myself a few times a year, but for the most part I like to boat class 4-5 creeks and rivers ... Hate being out of control.

Been paddling and really liking the large Burn and H3255..

Of the other boats I've tried recently, I didn't really care for any of them. The Jefe Grande felt ok, but I couldn't get it to behave and stay on track, and getting out of eddys was sometimes a challenge. The blunt was just too small and felt unstable and very sluggish. The habitat- i could tell in a pool i wouldn't like it. Too much of a displacement hull.

It took no time at all to feel comfortable in the pure xl , which is good when the second rapid is one that, not long ago, beat the living crap out of me.

What they say about the XL feeling smaller than the specs suggest is very true.

Compared to a Burn, it does feel a little heavy in flat water, but it feels really light in heavy water.

AMAZING water boofs. Combine that with the way the bow works and This thing is going to help me a lot with my fear of big macking holes.

It feels like has a smidge less primary stability on the flat water, but secondary is great and it has tons of predictability in the boils.. especially landing boofs in the squirrelies. I found in the burn i would sometimes favor my on side too much and land boofs or punch holes on edge and a brace (sometimes = flip and/or beatdown). This boat seems much better in that regard.

It's definately less edgy than the burn, but it does carve and track nicely. It tracks and carves way better than the jefe grande. (starting to sound like a review?)

I like to go into slalom play mode on the class three/four sections and the burn is REALLY fun for that. The pure has a little less performance in that manner. But on the other hand, the rounder hull of the pure is a lot more fun to play off the side of rocks.

I think I'm really going to enjoy this boat. Especially for the runs at the upper end of my comfort zone.

here's some pics of it next to a large burn..

Larry
Alden
CBoats Addict

Post by Alden »

Thanks for the review, Larry. I paddle a Large Burn myself, and was considering this boat because of the Prijon durability.

So it sounds like it's pretty much just as stable as the Burn?
ESP
C Guru

Post by ESP »

You seem to have confirmed my review of the Pure as a K1. I'm glad that it also works well as a C1. Prijon has always had a great rep for it's plastic but many folks had issues with the designs and outfitting. The Pure seems to be a winner on all accounts. :D
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

Thanks for the review Larry, looks nice! The pictures you took, at some angle with good daylight also helps a lot. Picture 1 I was amazed to see how much the middle section ressembles the remix.
Picture 2 I was stunned to see the huge difference in bow design as opposed to most other cies modern creekers. I am sure this pointy nose digs in the meat much more on drop landings, but if it makes for a more predictable feeling as you mentioned that's good. It's good to have a boat that stays on top of things but if it often pushes you on a side or the other maybe I can rather do with some extra face splash.

Have fun with your new toy! :D
Watch out; that river has rocks on the bottom. :o
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

Yeah Alden, it's almost as stable as the burn on flat water, but in kaotic water, it feels more stable than the burn.

ESP, you were right! It handles great. The plastic seems tough, but it's not a stiff as I imagined. I would not set up one of these hulls without some kind of rail.

Marc, i was surprised and happy to see the flat center section of hull, and that it has some edge.
The bow is pointy and it is a big change from the burn, but it seems to be good. I did completely plug one drop (i momentarily forgot how to boof) and the boat seems to carry speed when you go deep, and it feels super mellow. It punches through waves a little, but just at the tip, there is massive volume in the front so it is VERY bouyant as well.
So don't worry, you're face won't get wet :wink:
Larry
Alden
CBoats Addict

Post by Alden »

Larry and others --

I was wondering if I could get a quick update? How do you like the Pure XL after some more time paddling?

Anyone know where I could get a deal on one?

I can't believe how weak Pyranha plastic can be. I think it's time to go Prijon.

Alden
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

funny you should mention the prijon plastice. i've gotten the impression that the pures aren't holding up as well as prijon's usually do.
AJ
CBoats Addict

LL Stomper

Post by AJ »

Check out the new Liquid logic Stomper.

Semi planning hull, made in America, 20.5 " wide cockpit, nice rocker, and offered in 80 and 90 gallon volume. Hull pictures can be seen here: https://picasaweb.google.com/shanebened ... heStomper#

Specs can be found here:
http://liquidlogickayaks.com/stomper_90.cfm

Gabe, I know you had a Remix and that you beat it up, but in general how good is their plastic?
Alden
CBoats Addict

Post by Alden »

Can anyone confirm about the plastic quality? Has anyone else paddled one?

Does Prijon sell hulls (minus outfitting)?
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

Hey Alden, the plastic is definately good, i wouldn't worry about it. but i've never had another htp boat, so i can't coment on how it compares to an older prijon..

I really like the design, but i'm not sure if i like it more than the burn for the IV-V water that I enjoy. I think it's a great boat for class V.

Pure has better glide and tracking. Better speed through holes and faster resurfacing. Better water boofs.. by a mile. Easy to get back under you. Very roomy cockpit. Turning seems about the same, i think.

Negatives are it's a little less stable feeling at first, and it's heavy, and it feels heavy. Not as much fun (sporty) on easier water.

Norwood tried to get one without outfitting, but it was futile. It would be nice, because their outfitting creates a BUNCH of holes that you need to tape over :)

i'd say get one. If you don't like it you should be able to sell it easy enough. Their spreading like wildfire over here.
Larry
Alden
CBoats Addict

Post by Alden »

Thanks for all of your input, Larry. I demoed one today -- kneeling in it and using a canoe paddle -- and was won over. Feels like a great boat, and I BOUGHT IT!!

Going Prijon!!

Alden 8)
fez
CBoats Addict

Post by fez »

if the "new" HTP is as undestroyable as the "old" one of my beloved Delirious then I wouldn`t mind ... :D
imagine
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Re: Prijon Pure XL

Post by oopsiflipped »

I finally got to paddle dan's for a couple minutes yesterday. Even though I couldn't get my butt in the seat b/c of the hip pads, I could still tell it's a great boat. It's like the hercules, but they nomaded out all the squirelly bits.
Alden
CBoats Addict

Re: Prijon Pure XL

Post by Alden »

Hi folks,

I wanted to provide an update. I have paddled the Prijon Pure XL for almost a year now, and it's a wonderful conversion: stable, boofs well, tracks well, and I've already gotten more hardcore use out of it than my last Burn (by a mile) without a crack so far. (Knock on wood.) I did crack the plastic nosecone, but I actually like the rugged look that gives the boat. I am already thinking that my next boat with be another Pure.

Has anyone converted the regular size Pure? I usually convert larger sized kayaks, even though I only weigh 145, because I like the added width and stability for a C-1. But the Pure XL is huge -- 87 gallons -- and I definitely float it high. I wonder if I could get away with paddling the regular sized Pure next time, have it be stable enough, and yet also have more of the hull features engaged in the water at my weight (making the paddling more dynamic and fun)?

Does anyone have any experience with the stability of the normal sized Pure as a conversion?

It is still 80 gallons!

Alden