Removable saddle system

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Fleetwalker
C Boater

Removable saddle system

Post by Fleetwalker »

I have an OT Penobscot that I use in downriver races. Sometimes I race solo, sometimes tandem with a center flotation bag. I'd like to keep the boat flexible, since this is recreational racing.

In the past, when I've raced solo I've paddled the boat kneeling - no saddle, no kneepads, nothing. I recognize that this is inefficient (and on longer races painful).

I'm thinking about the following plan: Get a neoprene foam pad, and glue a saddle, kneepads, and foot-blocks to the pad. Then I can put the whole pad-system in the boat as needed. I think neoprene is supposed to be "grippy" even when wet, but I'll secure it either by velcro strips, or using nylon webbing running from the flotation bag tie downs in the bow and stern (i.e., webbing from the stern, through a hole in the back of the pad, under the pad, through a hole in the front of the pad, to the bow).

Has anyone done this? Any thoughts on the merits of the idea?
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

How about a kneeling thwart? Use wing-nuts so you can take it out quickly. Glue your knee pads & toe blocks in & leave 'em.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I've thought about this, too, for flat water / occasional whitewater use of certain of our boats. I don't think neoprene alone is strong enough to keep all of that together - I was thinking a thin piece of ABS with something grippy on the bottom - neoprene might be a bit thick, maybe "scoot guard"?

I do like kneeling thwarts and have one in a boat, but I really don't care for them in moving/white water as I have big feet making me concerned about catching my heels on the way out. I like the idea of a portable pedestal/knee pad combo as I have a couple of boats I'd like to try it in that I wouldn't (OT Pack - shallow) or couldn't (Sawyer Loon - would get in the way of the sliding seat and it's glass) put a kneeling thwart in.

If you try it, let us know how it goes. I'm not sure when I'll get to this project as it is a little ways down the list...
ncdavid
CBoats Addict

Post by ncdavid »

iRolled had a setup like that for his Maxims. Had the outfitting the way he liked it, boat wore out, he cut the center section out (which included saddle, straps, knee pads), bolted it into a clean hull. You could do the same thing with a strip of old Royalex or a plate of ABS or PE. For light use you could velcro it in. Maybe bolt it to the thwarts or gunwales for heavier use.
clarion
C Guru

Post by clarion »

I have a Prospector that I keep "clean" for versatility. When I want to rig it for WW I drop a Mohawk saddle in and fasten it with short NRS straps to anchor patches. I just tape the knee pads in with Gorilla tape.
It AIN'T bent.
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

Irolled and myself is prototyping this soon we will have this for all our ww boats
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker
pblanc
CBoats Addict

Post by pblanc »

I did something like that with a Dagger Caper-T that came set up for tandem paddling with a pair of kneeling thwarts. I used a Bob Foote roto-molded Grand Canyon saddle that mounts to glued in vinyl anchors. But that saddle is heavy and no longer made. The concept worked fine, though.

I would probably go with the kneeling thwart and a pair of glued in knee pads/cups myself.

If you don't want to glue in center kneeling pads, you could use a removable kneeling pad, like those sold by Bell Canoe and others, or just a loose pair of cups.

If you don't care for kneeling thwarts and you don't want to devise your own removable pedestal system, North Water sells one that is ready to mount: http://www.northwater.com/html/products ... addle.html
ice-breaker
Pain Boater

Post by ice-breaker »

When I bought my Caption a few years ago, I set it up using daisy-chain anchor strips (Northwater) along the bottom of the boat. By strapping the saddles to the anchor strips, I obtained a system that could be used for either tandem paddling or solo paddling, just by moving the saddles. In the attached photo you can see the outfitting as it was when it was initially installed.

System is highly adjustable and have never had any problems. Only change I would make is to glue longer knee pads so that the paddler position is even more adjustable.

cheers
dave
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

OT

Dave... you might consider adding a center thwart to your boat for the times when you do paddle it tandem... it helps tremendously... especially with vinyl rails. You could always use wing nuts rather than lock nuts so it's fairly easy to remove for those times when you paddle it solo.

:wink:
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
iRolled
BlackFly Canoes

Post by iRolled »

Yup, removable outfitting. I love it. Makes outfitting so much easier. I just slap it in and secure it with a few short bolts on each side. I can have it in a boat and ready to paddle within five minutes. 8)
Team Blackfly
http://www.blackflycanoes.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.astraldesigns.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.immersionresearch.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

I've seen some race downriver while seated - would this be of interest ?
Fleetwalker
C Boater

Post by Fleetwalker »

There are some great responses here, thanks! Northwater especially has some nice (if pricey) outfitting accessories; that looks like a great setup. Made me think about going whole hog and replacing the seats in the Penobscot with thwarts.

I have thought about installing a sliding bucket seat and footbrace. I think Savage River and Wenonah have kits. However, the seat wouldn't be very removable if I want to put in a center bag when racing tandem. And I would (I think) need to drill through the hull to install it (I'm pretty sure the SR seats at least are mounted to the hull), which I'm not so excited about.
Last edited by Fleetwalker on Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I know I'm not the OP, but I've tried paddling in even mildly rough water while seated and I just can't get comfortable - that's one of several reasons I don't kayak and why I've toyed with the "portable pedestal + knee pads" idea.

What I've got in mind doesn't need to be as secure as whitewater outfitting. However, I do like what Alex and Richard are working on - when you get it right, move it to the next boat...
Longboatin
CBoats Addict

Post by Longboatin »

kneeling thwart probly best/easiest. Then glue kneepads, r git one of those removable kneeling pads.

I'd suggest go permanent tho, if ya want a center bag jus stuff aroun the kneel thwart.

But, what kinda OT seats ya got in there? if bucket type, u could redo the front seat wid cane type, then put pads in both directions, that way nuthin in way of center bag placement

GO LONG!!!!
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

I've done my Vertige X similar to what ice-breaker posted (but with longer knee pads and an additional thwart!). Great flexibility for solo or tandem, and also for different paddlers/trim when tandem. There was logistics to work out with bow feet overlapping with solo knee pads, and solo anchors overlapping with bow saddle, etc., but it was doable and well worth it.

Northwater's anchor strips work great for adjustable saddles.

Pat.