what is a canoe/kayak

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Mr.DeadLegs
CBoats Addict

what is a canoe/kayak

Post by Mr.DeadLegs »

Is a canoe defined by the boat you paddle or how you paddle it? I have seen people paddling canoes sitting down with a kayak paddle are they canoists or kayakers? I have seen kayaks paddled with people on their knees and with a canoe paddle are they kayakers or canoeists? I am beginning to lend more credence to the idea that if there is not a giant open hole in the boat it is not a canoe.
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways totally worn out, shouting "Holy large steaming pile of dog doo what a Ride" " Nolan Whitesell
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

If you are not running the class 5 gnarz in a boat with a hole in the top, (bottom when you flip) it is not a canoe! :roll:

Technically anything that is a personal, paddled water craft might be a canoe unless it's not. Obviously a john-boat is not a canoe. I would say any boat that does not allow you to kneel (not require, but allow!) would not be a canoe.

Shep
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

if you look at it and you think of Indians paddling it then it is a canoe if you look at it and think of Eskimos then i is a kayak
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

They're all just shells untill they're outfitted.
Larry
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

I used to race my Superfly with a kayak-paddle during slalom races for amusement. Kayakers get a wee bit pissy when you beat a few of them in their class.

Luke Hopkins used to paddle a C1 with a kayak paddle... he called it X1'ing and he kicked butt doing it. There used to be some images and I think some video on his website but I be darned if I can find it anymore.
http://www.localpaddler.com/index.php

I don't really think it's too hard to discern the difference between kayaking and canoeing... semantics aside.
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

If ya double-blade a canoe you a: - weirdo

And yes one HAS to take as insulting the classic "What type of kayak is this?" about his C1, even a conversion.

If you kneeling, praying and single blading it up, then you a canoeist.

'nuff definitions. :lol:
Watch out; that river has rocks on the bottom. :o
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

Shep wrote:If you are not running the class 5 gnarz in a boat with a hole in the top, (bottom when you flip) it is not a canoe! :roll:

Technically anything that is a personal, paddled water craft might be a canoe unless it's not. Obviously a john-boat is not a canoe. I would say any boat that does not allow you to kneel (not require, but allow!) would not be a canoe.

Shep
so what would this be....

... a Jackson canoe?
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

To me you are "canoeing" if:

1) You are kneeling or sitting on an elevated seat (a few inches at least)
2) You are using a single bladed paddle.

There is "double bladed canoe paddling" too, but that's like using a single blade while sitting in a kayak.. kind of a hybrid.

C1 and C2 boaters are just lazy and don't like to bail:)
Keep the C!
Adam
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

Okay, so how 'bout them c-1 and c-2 sprint canoe teams? They have no seat for sitting or knealing. :P
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

philcanoe wrote: so what would this be....

... a Jackson canoe?
It would be if you removed the seat and put in something that allowed you to kneel.
rockyboater
C Guru

Post by rockyboater »

Shep wrote:
philcanoe wrote: so what would this be....

... a Jackson canoe?
It would be if you removed the seat and put in something that allowed you to kneel.
I think there is a whole different category that is being missed because it goes without a name, so I'm going to say it "hybrids". The, something in between boats. I work in the bicycle industry and we have been down this road already. After many years of shuffling bikes from one category to another it was figured out. The same applies for boating.
rockyboater
C Guru

Post by rockyboater »

sorry double post....
Last edited by rockyboater on Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ian123
CBoats Addict

Post by ian123 »

If you kneel in it and use a single bladed paddle than it's a canoe... if there is a big hole in the top, its an open canoe. Objective criteria. "Looking" like canoe is not objective... it is just an opinion... you might as well argue about the meaning of life or who would win in a fight between the Easter bunny and the tooth fairy..

Even if some boats are "hybrids" they would be a hybrid between an open canoe or a decked canoe... still a canoe...
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Did someone say hybrid? :P

I never did try using it with a kayak paddle? :lol:

Weren't the first C1's derived from kayaks that they widened? I'm pretty sure they were... but I could be wrong.

If you want to see some neat old canoe and kayak pictures... check out Milo Duffeks photo gallery... I hope he posts more in time. No PFD's... no helmets... black and white.
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id= ... ?sk=photos
Last edited by Craig Smerda on Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
RodeoClown
BlackFly Canoes

Post by RodeoClown »

I think the first c-1's and c-2's were derived from canoes that had decks added (a la Berrigan).

There's enough gray area that I don't think it's really worth arguing about.
Jeremy Laucks
Owner, Blackfly Canoes
http://www.blackflycanoes.com