Weight Limits for Shorter Boats

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Lappie
C Guru

Post by Lappie »

I paddled the Otter a bit when I started solo play boating and realy liked it! It is realy light, fairly fast and realy dry even at my weight! The first generation were prety "flopy", Hellman alluminum gunwale are junk, they are realy soft, so it makes the boat quite floppy. I would go with the wood gunwales and since the boat is glass, no need to remove them in the fall/winter( for the one of us who lives in cold climates!) They are realy tough, last year, one hellman canoe got wrap on a bolder and after recovry, the boat got paddled all the way to the take out with out taking water!! I would like to try one again since I have more paddling experience!!
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

As for the L'edge, I cut two feet out of the middle (the widest part) and it still floats me just fine at 185 and stays pretty dry when boofing. Can't imagine it not working for someone even quite a bit heavier.
OhCeeOne
C Boater

Post by OhCeeOne »

I'm 245lbs. I always felt like i was sinking the Ocoee a bit but made it work. The L'edge is the boat. I've never been so dry or capable. I think at this length, it can't be beat for large mammals such as myself.
jnorto01
C Guru

Post by jnorto01 »

Dude,

I think you need to get a Zoom!
fleckbass
CBoats Addict

Post by fleckbass »

wooZ ! :lol:
I went raftin' once. I think it was in Ohio.

http://www.easternpaddling.com
Sickboyuk
C Boater

Post by Sickboyuk »

A question to the larger paddler (well, average sized!), how do you effect the handling on a prelude, more tippy, just wetter, even slower, i suppose the same question would go for any of the short boats, although not the l'edge it seems.
I've paddled a Spanish/super fly a few times and they're fine for playing, not sure i'd want to do a long section in one though...a bit wet :-?
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Some small boats are worse then others for big guys, but yeah, all of the above - slower, wetter, and more tippy. Some are like paddling with a boat full of water, even when you're dry.

P.