saddle

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Brendan
C Guru

saddle

Post by Brendan »

I had a chance to buy a used solo boat ( Ovation- I know, I have read the knocks about it on the forum),but this boat is essentially in new condition and I couldn't pass up on the deal. It comes outfitted with a perception saddle (hard plastic molded black thing). I have always used foam saddles- I haven't even had time to get out on the water in this boat- any arguments to keep the perceptions saddle? Anybody really like the saddle?

It seems like it would be good in the event that I use this boat as a "loaner" to get others out on the river (friends and brother-inlaws)- the saddle seems to be a universal fit, but overall not a really good fit (too loose) Opinions? If I take it out, any re-sale value? Thanks in advance for your responses.
Brendan
ncdavid
CBoats Addict

Post by ncdavid »

I've bought and sold a few. About $30 seems to be the going rate. Most people like to get their knees wider than the Perception saddle allows.
pblanc
CBoats Addict

Post by pblanc »

Some really like it.
It seems more really hate it.

Biggest drawbacks are that it requires relatively closely spaced knees (as you have identified), it is heavy, and it can't be trimmed for fit.
bambam
C Guru

Post by bambam »

The black ones are indeed mildly on the heavy side. There are also medium gray and light gray ones which are progressively lighter.

You can cheat your knees out a little wider with foam up to a point.

One really nice thing is that with some minor reinforcement you can hang the saddle from the thwarts. This helps keep you from wearing out the hull under your butt. You still want foam under the saddle barely touching the hull though to absorb impacts without crushing your toes under the footpegs (assuming you have those).

It's also nice to have the storage inside the saddle although I wouldn't count on it to stay 100% dry.

Ken
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Back in the 90's I had one in an Outrage.. it was nice to be able to sit up on that back upper seat at times.. Wouldn't mind another to mess around with and see if I like. If anyone has one in good shape at ALF, I'll take it off your hands for a bit of $
TommyC1
C Guru

Post by TommyC1 »

bambam wrote: It's also nice to have the storage inside the saddle although I wouldn't count on it to stay 100% dry.

Ken
That's where you keep the sledge hammer... for the ice...
mattm
C Guru

funny

Post by mattm »

That storage is pretty handy. After a particularly raucous after work run one day I was wondering why my bilge pump was running, when i realized I didn't have a bilge pump...wondering what the buzzing was...well, it turned out my cell phone got set to vibrate or shorted out and went spastic or something under my butt.
Kind of like those saddles, I have one being used in my primary OC (well primary 'til I holed it a couple weeks back), one I'm supposed to be giving away if the guy ever makes it up here.
so glad for Krylon, ABS and acetone.Squirt, sail, paddle and pole.