Question about Blue Hole OCA.

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

roaring-riverman
C Boater

Question about Blue Hole OCA.

Post by roaring-riverman »

This is related to my previous thread titled "I need advice on buying a tandem canoe..."

A friend has offered to sell me his Blue Hole OCA (not sure of the length). Does anyone know how it would perform on the lake or on easy whitewater with camping gear/kids?
Bill M
C Guru

OCA

Post by Bill M »

Spence the OCA is 16'. It will handle class 2 ww even loaded. It was the do it all boat for years, has a long flat bottom so is susceptable to winds.
There is a lot of people with tripping experience who will be able to tell you more.
Bill
pblanc
CBoats Addict

Post by pblanc »

Not the greatest lake boat due to high stems which catch the wind, and a lot of fullness which makes it no speed demon, but it certainly can be paddled on flat water.

Excellent capacity for tripping and good stability for kids. Not as nimble a whitewater tandem as some shorter boats like the Dimension, or Caption, but will handle just about any whitewater that doesn't require turning on a dime.

Before there were good solo designs, some people paddled this beast solo in whitewater.

Somewhat similar to the Dagger (now Mad River) Legend 16.
Lengthy
C Guru

Post by Lengthy »

Awsome boat. So simple yet so good. I really wish I had one, and I don't say that about many boats. It's one of those very few boats that you'll never get rid of. I'm jealous.
I mean, it's a piece o crap. I'll do you a huge favor and take it off your hands. :D
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

We have one on the trailer - it's a big boat, but not the heaviest (that is a patched up Intrepid...) that is my "go to" boat when we need something for 3-4 people (usually a Dad +3 or 2 parents +2). Stable enough to paddle stand up solo, too.
Roger
C Guru

Post by Roger »

Buy it. It will do what you want it do and then some.
Brendan
C Guru

Post by Brendan »

I have had mine since the mid-80's- It was my solo WW boat for years until smaller boats came around. I use it for river camping and fishing. Stable and bomber built. There are certainly better designs for tripping, but if you can pick one up for a decent price, you won't be disappointed.
Brendan