Who has run Big Boy on the Raven Fork in a C boat?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

bcmcmillan
C Boater

Who has run Big Boy on the Raven Fork in a C boat?

Post by bcmcmillan »

I had my first trip down the Raven this weekend and was wondering how many C boaters had run Big Boy and the Raven Fork. I know Dooley and Scott McClesky have run the river because I've seen video, but how many others? Have fun with all the rain!
Brad McMillan
Dooleyoc-1
CBoats Addict

Post by Dooleyoc-1 »

Were you in a red c1? If so, I saw the pics on facebook. Looked like a great line! I haven't run big boy yet I'm hoping to this year.

Maybe will Lyons has done it c1? If not, you may be the first. Very cool.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Braswell?

Yup...
Alden wrote:And of course, when you're talking about the Raven's Fork, you have to Keep in mind that the first D -- including the first D of Big Boy -- was one of our own, Allen Braswell.

Alden
Other stuff of interest... http://boatertalk.com/forum/BoaterTalk/1419981/
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
Dooleyoc-1
CBoats Addict

Post by Dooleyoc-1 »

That's right. I remember hearing that he fired up big boy on the first d.
Eli
The Canoe Guru - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by Eli »

I walked Big Boy, but enjoyed the rest of the river. I still consider Mike Tyson's Punchout one of the most difficult rapids I've run.
When in Doubt...Paddle Forward!
www.thecanoeguru.com
Dooleyoc-1
CBoats Addict

Post by Dooleyoc-1 »

Eli,

I went back to raven fork about 2 weeks ago and fired up Mike Tyson's. It was insane! I took some huge bounces. That rapid is out of control.

Fortunately, I had a good line and we got some video. I was glad I was in the L'Edge when I was taking those big high speed bounces on the way down.
Alden
CBoats Addict

Post by Alden »

Brad, can you post these pics of Big Boy?
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

You two heros need to post some vid for us mere mortals to gawk at :)
ncdavid
CBoats Addict

Post by ncdavid »

bcmcmillan
C Boater

Post by bcmcmillan »

Im still trying to get ahold of the pictures. I would love to have them! I will definatly post as soon as I get them though. That river is amazing and Mike Tysons is HUGE and fun! Can't wait to go back!
CosmikDebris
CBoats Addict

Post by CosmikDebris »

Yeah Brad! Nice work! I'm not sure about Cluck, but I'd say you and Braswell may be the only ones... maybe one of Cluck's slalom posse has too, I don't know.

I've had many successful runs of Mike Tysons in the Cboat, minus one busted T-grip half way down due to rotten Werner wood, but even that ended well. The first time I ran it in a kayak, I flipped (which my k1 buddies assured me was impossible with two blades) and wound up getting 6 stitches in my chin. That's a way better c1 run than k1 in my opinion...
Creeker
CBoats Addict

Post by Creeker »

@ CosmikDebris, You wrote:
That's a way better c1 run than k1 in my opinion...
other than just prefering C1....why would Mike Tyson's or any other rapid be better in a C1 vs K1. The double sided low/high brace seems easier and perhaps a bit safer taking the offside flip out of the equation......just curious where the comment is coming from cause it's obvious you're a way better paddler than I am.
CosmikDebris
CBoats Addict

Post by CosmikDebris »

cause I almost always managed to stay upright, and if I did flip was able to roll in a milisecond. only time I ran it with "training wheels" i busted my chin and got 6 stitches... after a while you just learn how to brace on both sides on one side with one blade, hard to explain but somehow you turn all moves into onside moves...hmmm....