Creek Boat recommendations

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

hankrankin
C Guru

Creek Boat recommendations

Post by hankrankin »

I'm thinking about trying to outfit my first creek boat conversion. I wanna do bulkhead and no seatbelt. Anybody got recommendations on hulls? I need all the help/info i can get. My friend may have a H3 hull i can get, so thats what im thinking. I weigh 155 and my current creek boat is the Taureau. I love the taureau and paddle IV+ in it but i wanna start running bigger (green narrows :o ) without worrying about my boat filling up. Does anyone think i should just stick with the open boat and take my beatings with pride?
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

I paddled an H3 that Bernie F had outfitted C1. It was the large version and at 185 seemed like a pretty darn good Cboat to me.

check out...
http://cboats.net/cforum/viewtopic.php? ... rnie#62313
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

You didn't say which size h3...the h3 255 would be ok. anything smaller, I would pass. A large burn is a little better. More rocker, so, less plugging. the burn also gets less stern squirts. Minor differences though.

Good luck with a bulkhead only outfitting in a c1, I guess some people can do it, but I have no idea how they (or all that foam) can stay in.
IMO Straps are where it's at. Non adjustable, all foam outfitting went out of style back in the 90's..with the Dancer :wink:

wrt taking beatings... especially in a c1- The beatings will continue. :D
Larry
hankrankin
C Guru

Post by hankrankin »

Im pretty sure its a 255. If i could find a good burn hull at a good price thatd definately be a consideration.
markzak
CBoats Addict

Post by markzak »

I agree with Larry on straps. A bulkhead only can work for you especially as you learn the boat, but eventually you will be ripped out of the bulkhead in a hole or other feature.

Only suggestion I have for creekboats is find something on the wider end of the market. Those old Dagger boats like the Gradient are narrow and more challenging to paddle as a C1. Look for 25" or wider.

I love my Remix 79.
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

I'd say Jefe Grande, Nomad or Remix. Granted, I'm not a fan of boats with rails as creekers, it's much less forgiving on landings and squirrily water.

The trade off is you have to drive the boat forward (or backward) for it to track well and turn quickly, but ideally you're doing that kind of dynamic paddling anyway.
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
hankrankin
C Guru

Thanks

Post by hankrankin »

Thanks for all the input, If you got more tips keep em coming. I guess I'm gonna go with some straps, cause I did get ripped out of my taureau in a hole just a couple days ago, I normally avoid holes like the plague but at the same time I feel like I need to learn how to stay in control and get out of those things all while in my boat. I think I'm gonna go with the H3, my friends h3 has a fence post setup, anybody wanna vouch for or against the fence post? Seems pretty solid to me
xmas0c1c1k1
CBoats Addict

Post by xmas0c1c1k1 »

where in ga are you? I have a jefe grande you could try out.
Bruce Farrenkopf
CBoats Addict

Post by Bruce Farrenkopf »

The bulkhead was tried in my Robson Finkenmeister for 2 years. I gave it a long stubborn shot :-? . I eventually put thigh straps in the boat and my control improved significantly.

The Pyranha H3 255 makes a very good conversion. I got mine from Larry Horne and it replaced my Finkenmeister.
rockyboater
C Guru

Post by rockyboater »

Though I'm aware the Jackson is not the first choice for C1, I'll add my 2 cents. I own a Taureau as well and wanted my creeker to feel the same. So I built a bulkhead and installed foot pegs to hold me in. I trimmed the foot peg to fit and built the bulkhead to take straps if needed. Set up works great in a pool though I have yet to try it in any rivers as they are still frozen. Feels just like my Taureau. I find, you can't beat the contact and warmth(cold water up here) of a bulkhead.

hankrankin
C Guru

Post by hankrankin »

i like the outfitting you got in the jackson. is that a hero? That small thwart you installed, is it holding the bulkhead? what else you got in there keeping the bulkhead steady? I have a pop conversion and the bulkhead is just wedged in there, i need something more sturdy for creeking though.
rockyboater
C Guru

Post by rockyboater »

Yeah it's a Jackson Super Hero. The bulkhead was built up in blocks. I glued it all the way around the hull with Barge glue. Made sure to sand all edges of the foam and plastic as well. It's also glued to the thwart I installed. I also have the old seat cushion from the K1 outfitting that I blow up between the pillar and the bulkhead. Incase I take a really big hit it will make sure nothing get pushed forward. With the foot pegs it feels really bomber. The hip pads and ankle blocks are attached with strong Velcro so they can be adjusted and will tear out in the case of a bad swim.