Esquif Demo's out West- input please

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Esquif Demo's out West- input please

Post by Smurfwarrior »

I'm in the planning stages of putting together a little program where people can try out Esquif boats and paddles out west. This will be in conjunction to trying to make it to some bigger events and having them there for people to demo.

What I'm envisioning is to have those interested fly into Salt Lake City International Airport and I'll pick em up, house them for the weekend and take them paddling on some of the local rivers.. I have all types from class 2-4, creeks to rivers and two playparks all within 30 minutes. Fly in Friday, leave Sunday kinda thing. All you'd need to cover is the flight, which is really cheap these days. My guess is those serious about buying a L'Edge or whatnot will put in the effort to try before they buy.. buying a boat sight unseen is like marrying a girl off the internet without meeting her first.

Right now I'm set up for someone to demo the open L'Edge and the new Esquif paddle. What other boats would people be interested in trying out here? I'm talking serious interest not just 'it would be neat to try...."

Input would be great, ref large events in your area and which boats you'd like to demo.
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

Not a bad idea. I'm sure you'll get some takers.
But I doubt I would spend the money and time to fly somewhere to demo a boat. I would rather risk it. Just buy it and try it and sell it at a loss if I don't like it. That's how I've had to do it on every boat I've ever bought and frankly, I kind of enjoy it!
Larry
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Me too Larry but there are some that really want to try before they buy. The option to come demo might work for some, or to simply come to the closest event to demo there.

On a side note- got the saddle, check is in the mail :)
cadster
CBoats Addict

Post by cadster »

A lot of events got mentioned in this thread:
http://cboats.net/cforum/viewtopic.php? ... sc&start=0

This release, not far from Denver, is supposed to happen again in August:
http://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f11/ ... 32580.html

A good thing about having water in the NF South Platte is it has stretches with different levels of difficulty.
kslund
Pain Boater

Post by kslund »

Very generous offer of you! I could see doing this if I didn't have other priorities right now (a young kid at home). Taking a whole weekend off to go paddling is not as easy as it used to be. I did however, convince the wife that I can take a week off in July to go paddling around OC Nat timeframe. If you're in CO then, I would love to give the l'edge a spin.

Besides, based on all the reviews so far I'm pretty much ready to buy a ledge sight-unseen. Just need to gather up the fun-money.

Curious how you would setup the outfitting in the Ledge to make it accomodate all sorts?
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

I'll be at the OC Nationals for sure. Ref outfitting, we will have to make due with the bulkhead system and makes adjustments as needed.
Eric Nyre
C Guru

Post by Eric Nyre »

Just a quick comment concerning some side effects of your plan.

I'm no longer directly associated with the Colorado Esquif dealer, but having been there for many years take my comments for what they're worth.

The western states Esquif dealers do what they can. Having someone come in claiming to be an Esquif rep, offering demos, and then sending the customers to order their boats from Virginia does not help western paddlers. The local shops will be annoyed, drop Esquif, and I'm not sure that really helps anyone out west.

If you're truely a rep, and I don't imagine Ethan suddenly giving up his territory, you'd know to help support the local dealers and not try to undermine them. It very much sounds like you're against the people trying to stock and sell Esquif out west. I'm not sure Jacques would be in with that plan, especially when he sees his pre-season orders out west evaporate.

If you're a sponsored paddler pretending to be a rep, talk to Ethan and line things up with whatever he's doing. Harming local dealers is a quick way to see your sponsorship disappear.
kslund
Pain Boater

Post by kslund »

Eric,

If you're no longer in the game, then I don't think there are any colorado esquif dealers are there?

Mtn. Shop was the only other one I know of, and they're no longer selling canoes.
Eric Nyre
C Guru

Post by Eric Nyre »

Canoe Colorado is still in business, Jerry's running it all now. He's got pretty much at least one of everything in stock or on order. I know I helped place an order last September for 3 L'edge plus several other boats, but as of last week I don't think Esquif ever shipped them.
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Eric- interesting slant you are putting on this. I've stated nothing about selling anything have I? Where did the whole Virginia thing come into this? Not that it's any of your business but Jacques gave me the thumbs up today on this idea. I know who you are, and you have my respect, but I will say that your pissy finger pointing attitude is not appreciated.
Eric Nyre
C Guru

Post by Eric Nyre »

Hey Smurf,

No worries, go with whatever works for you. As noted, I quit the game and don't have a dog in the fight. Just sharing a different perspective. Nothing pissy intended.

Peace - Eric
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

I'm not out west... but being in the "middle ground" between New England, Mid-Atlantic, and Canada, which tends to get passed by I know how tough it can be to find a demo....

I think your idea is a great one, and helps Esquif and fellow CBoaters alike. And I'm sure folks buying from the dealer of their choice keeps everyone happy (if the local dealer rocks they should get the business, if they don't call kaz :o (sorry, couldn't resist ;) ).

I will add that I think as a rep you could really "earn your keep" and have a blast letting folks know where you will be paddling, and hit up some fests. Not to necessarily have a booth (though that could help support the fests, which is a worthy endeavor if you can swing it) but to go where the people will be. It gets you out paddling too 8) .

Years ago Dave Nickerson was an Esquif rep, and at least from my perspective did a great job in the Northeast (New England PLUS upstate NY) getting on the Gorge in the summer, Moosefest, etc... as well as Deerfield and the normal New England haunts. Super approachable, very knowledgeable, nice guy. I think his other business (sound) took off and he didn't have enough time any more.
Keep the C!
Adam
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

My goal is to help Esquif by getting their products in front of more people, in areas where there isn't much active exposure and to introduce more people to open boating. Quite simple. Working with local dealers to be able to funnel interested folks their way, within the areas I visit, is the plan. If people read the first half of the first sentence of the original post, they would see that this is just taking off and I'm sorry if I haven't networked yet with anyone and everyone who may benefit from it. That will come.

Eric- no harm, no foul.
Einar
CBoats Addict

Generous offer

Post by Einar »

Generous offer. From Vancouver B.C., everything seems 600 miles & 12 hours away. I'm busy stitching a summer together and could be interested.. Looking at Spanish Fly, Prelude, Tareau to get out of a Viper 11 rut. (Good boat, just need some new mistakes)
will there be Esquif demos at the ntionals?
Thanks for the initiative.
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Yup, I'll have some Esquif stuff at the Nationals. :)