Colorado 2011

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

cadster
CBoats Addict

Colorado 2011

Post by cadster »

Seems like various cboaters are planning to travel to Colorado this year. Key events that have been mentioned are:

CKS PaddleFest - Buena Vista, May 27 – 30, http://ckspaddlefest.com/
FIBArk – Salida, June 15 – 19, http://fibark.net/
Open Canoe Slalom Nationals – Golden, July 8-10, http://aca.whitewater-slalom.us/ocs2011n/

Who’s coming and when? Did you want to do any trips outside of the events? If so what and when?

I live in southern CO and have been boating a good number of days the past few years. I’ve paddled almost all of the class III and IV runs in the state. I tend to boat in NM and the San Juans in May, but run stretches of the Arkansas most often thru the summer. The Upper Animas is probably my favorite trip in Colorado.
adrianna mott

Post by adrianna mott »

Colorado is beautiful. :D
Don Beyer
Pain Boater

Post by Don Beyer »

We will be in CO from around 7/4 to 7/15. We will be at Natls for part of that and are interested in doing some other class 3-4 paddling, too.
Don Beyer
Pain Boater

Post by Don Beyer »

Who else is looking to paddle CO after Natls?
We'd like to hook up with some knowledgeable locals as well as fellow wanderers.
cadster
CBoats Addict

Post by cadster »

I'll be up for boating before and after the National's. I know of a few others that will be paddling afterwards, too.

Did you have preferences as far as runs?

I get out on the Ark a lot. I'm leaning towards heading further north.
Don Beyer
Pain Boater

Post by Don Beyer »

We don't really have a preference. I've read a little about a section of the Gunnison (lower?). Is that a possibility?
Otherwise, we are are open to suggestions when we get there.
Thanks.
I'll get a pm to you with contact info.
cadster
CBoats Addict

Post by cadster »

You are likely thinking of the Gunnison Gorge:
http://eddyflower.com/RunDetailstabs.aspx?RunId=155

It's a transition canyon with dam controlled flow which I usually paddle in the spring or fall. It's also a wilderness which isn't common for CO. A lot of rafters float it for the fishing, but the high water might be reducing the catch.

Outside of the southern San Juans flows are high and holding steady. High flows are increasing difficulty especially for open canoes due to short recovery time.
kslund
Pain Boater

Post by kslund »

Bruce, when you say further north - how far north you thinking? Poudre?

Not sure what the levels on the Poudre will be, but if we're in the 2-4 ft. range I'd definitely hop on that. Some sections can get pretty stompy for an open canoe at 4ft. Hopefully it will be in the perfect 3.25 ft. level at that time :P
cadster
CBoats Addict

Post by cadster »

The Poudre would be the destination for northern Colorado. Poudre's flow looks to stay high longer than the Ark. So like you state TBD based on level.

I also want to go to the Roaring Fork Valley, but could be going sooner than Nationals to catch the Fryingpan.
dangerous.dave
c

Post by dangerous.dave »

dangerous.dave is in Salida! Fourth of July, now, where is everyone? I'm staying at Great Western Motel.
Have fun!
Dangerous.Dave
Don Beyer
Pain Boater

Post by Don Beyer »

Jo and I got here this morning. We are at the Hampton Inn. We paddled through Salida today. Well, actually, we didn't need to paddle much! That water's movin'... :)